Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] How to monitor app network activity?

OP ericbergan

15th March 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

79 posts
I apparently have an app on my Note Pro (I'm guessing one of the bundled Samsung apps) that once a minute is doing a hardwired DNS lookup to the google DNS servers. How can I track down which one it is?

From my router, I can see it happen, and see the local port number on the Note Pro, but the port number is changing each time (not surprising since it is a UDP request.) Any Android app I can install that monitors an app's network activity?

Thanks!
15th March 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 107

503 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbergan

I apparently have an app on my Note Pro (I'm guessing one of the bundled Samsung apps) that once a minute is doing a hardwired DNS lookup to the google DNS servers. How can I track down which one it is?

From my router, I can see it happen, and see the local port number on the Note Pro, but the port number is changing each time (not surprising since it is a UDP request.) Any Android app I can install that monitors an app's network activity?

Thanks!

You could use a firewall security app that lets you disable an apps access to the Internet and go through 1 by 1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
15th March 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted

You could use a firewall security app that lets you disable an apps access to the Internet and go through 1 by 1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Silly me - didn't even think to look for Android firewall apps, just monitors. Looks like there is a selection to choose from, including some non-root ones. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbergan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread