Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

[Tool] Network Monitor

OP he_arslan

15th March 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

15 posts
Hi All,
Would you like to know what app is using network in your phone? Would you like to know what address is the application connecting?
My friend wrote a tool named Network Monitor. The link is https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...networkmonitor Would you like to try?

The tool could help you below:
1. Monitor current data activity and uplink/downlink throughput.
2. Monitor external IP address.
3. List all package which using internet currently.
4. List all socket link including destination IP address and source IP address of per package.
5. Query where is the destination address of the link connection and show it in map.
It is a fun tool if you want to know what application using your internet connection background.
My friend welcome any comments and he could add function if it would helpful.

Thanks.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to he_arslan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th March 2014, 04:39 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 156

875 posts
More
Would this be helpful in analyzing what kind of intranet traffic is causing high wlan_rx_wakelocks?
17th March 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #3  
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 14

49 posts
More
Useful tool.

Works good on my N7100.

Thank you.
17th March 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 103

709 posts
much needed as many are taking up lots of data without knowingly.

thanks
17th March 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 17

86 posts
Nice app. Keep up the good work
18th March 2014, 12:43 AM   |  #6  
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 28

362 posts
More
I almost installed this as it looks to be very helpful, but.....then I reread the thread and the fact that you say "My friend" made this app and not you makes me very nervous....why isn't your friend posting this up?

The way I see it if this app was found to be stealing data or compromising networks who would we have to turn to? You? All you are going to say is "my friend did it not me".

No insult intended but have him\her post this themselves would be my request.

I mean dude....you have less than 20 posts. Not like you have been on here for years....or even a year.

As an IT professional with 46 companies relying on my judgement....I simply can't risk their security
Last edited by nerdslogic; 18th March 2014 at 12:47 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nerdslogic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th March 2014, 12:25 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
The tool will let you know which application is using your network, even for intranet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden83

Would this be helpful in analyzing what kind of intranet traffic is causing high wlan_rx_wakelocks?

19th March 2014, 12:33 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
I think your concern was reasonable.
I am the author and using my friend's account. Let me explain what was going on. I wrote the tool part time and shown to my friend. My friend said you should publish in google play. But as you know, it is hard to let more person know there is software named "network monitor". My friend said he has a xda account and could help me to post. I will apply a account or just use this account.
One thing I could guarantee, there isn't back door in the application. Thanks for everybody's reply, it encourages me to add more functions.
One function I am considering to add is WIFI control/diag function.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdslogic

I almost installed this as it looks to be very helpful, but.....then I reread the thread and the fact that you say "My friend" made this app and not you makes me very nervous....why isn't your friend posting this up?

The way I see it if this app was found to be stealing data or compromising networks who would we have to turn to? You? All you are going to say is "my friend did it not me".

No insult intended but have him\her post this themselves would be my request.

I mean dude....you have less than 20 posts. Not like you have been on here for years....or even a year.

As an IT professional with 46 companies relying on my judgement....I simply can't risk their security

19th March 2014, 10:29 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 156

875 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by he_arslan

The tool will let you know which application is using your network, even for intranet.

So it won't I guess, I need to know analyze the broadcast packets originating from somewhere else on the intranet and waking up my device from deep sleep (wlan_rx_wakelocks).
20th March 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
You are correct. Currently the tool doesn't support packet analyze. It needs root right to capture the packet from network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden83

So it won't I guess, I need to know analyze the broadcast packets originating from somewhere else on the intranet and waking up my device from deep sleep (wlan_rx_wakelocks).

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread