Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 49,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tool] Network Monitor

Tip us?
 
he_arslan
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 15
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default [Tool] Network Monitor

Hi All,
Would you like to know what app is using network in your phone? Would you like to know what address is the application connecting?
My friend wrote a tool named Network Monitor. The link is https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...networkmonitor Would you like to try?

The tool could help you below:
1. Monitor current data activity and uplink/downlink throughput.
2. Monitor external IP address.
3. List all package which using internet currently.
4. List all socket link including destination IP address and source IP address of per package.
5. Query where is the destination address of the link connection and show it in map.
It is a fun tool if you want to know what application using your internet connection background.
My friend welcome any comments and he could add function if it would helpful.

Thanks.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to he_arslan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tylerdurden83
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 147
Posts: 827
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rome
Would this be helpful in analyzing what kind of intranet traffic is causing high wlan_rx_wakelocks?
 
DönerXXL
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 34
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamburg
Useful tool.

Works good on my N7100.

Thank you.
 
meethere
Old
#4  
meethere's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 103
Posts: 708
Join Date: Jan 2012
much needed as many are taking up lots of data without knowingly.

thanks
Get exposure, submit your biz to business web directory
India's Best Online Deals
 
Kul_dood
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 67
Join Date: Feb 2013
Nice app. Keep up the good work
 
nerdslogic
Old
(Last edited by nerdslogic; 18th March 2014 at 12:47 AM.)
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 358
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oregon
I almost installed this as it looks to be very helpful, but.....then I reread the thread and the fact that you say "My friend" made this app and not you makes me very nervous....why isn't your friend posting this up?

The way I see it if this app was found to be stealing data or compromising networks who would we have to turn to? You? All you are going to say is "my friend did it not me".

No insult intended but have him\her post this themselves would be my request.

I mean dude....you have less than 20 posts. Not like you have been on here for years....or even a year.

As an IT professional with 46 companies relying on my judgement....I simply can't risk their security
Looking to get dropbox? Send a request TO ME....I could use the space for the referral....you will get free space too!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nerdslogic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
he_arslan
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 15
Join Date: Sep 2013
The tool will let you know which application is using your network, even for intranet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden83 View Post
Would this be helpful in analyzing what kind of intranet traffic is causing high wlan_rx_wakelocks?
 
he_arslan
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 15
Join Date: Sep 2013
I think your concern was reasonable.
I am the author and using my friend's account. Let me explain what was going on. I wrote the tool part time and shown to my friend. My friend said you should publish in google play. But as you know, it is hard to let more person know there is software named "network monitor". My friend said he has a xda account and could help me to post. I will apply a account or just use this account.
One thing I could guarantee, there isn't back door in the application. Thanks for everybody's reply, it encourages me to add more functions.
One function I am considering to add is WIFI control/diag function.

Thanks



Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdslogic View Post
I almost installed this as it looks to be very helpful, but.....then I reread the thread and the fact that you say "My friend" made this app and not you makes me very nervous....why isn't your friend posting this up?

The way I see it if this app was found to be stealing data or compromising networks who would we have to turn to? You? All you are going to say is "my friend did it not me".

No insult intended but have him\her post this themselves would be my request.

I mean dude....you have less than 20 posts. Not like you have been on here for years....or even a year.

As an IT professional with 46 companies relying on my judgement....I simply can't risk their security
 
tylerdurden83
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 147
Posts: 827
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rome
Quote:
Originally Posted by he_arslan View Post
The tool will let you know which application is using your network, even for intranet.
So it won't I guess, I need to know analyze the broadcast packets originating from somewhere else on the intranet and waking up my device from deep sleep (wlan_rx_wakelocks).
 
he_arslan
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 15
Join Date: Sep 2013
You are correct. Currently the tool doesn't support packet analyze. It needs root right to capture the packet from network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden83 View Post
So it won't I guess, I need to know analyze the broadcast packets originating from somewhere else on the intranet and waking up my device from deep sleep (wlan_rx_wakelocks).

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Calc+ is a Smart and Beautiful Android Calculator

As we’ve said inthe past, there are quite a few calculators available on Android. … more

Get Better Debug Data with Crash Report SDK

Developing an application is a hard and often times ungratifying task. It also requires quite a … more

Navigate to Your Favorite Places with LocationDetector

If you’re enjoying an active way of life, you probablytravel a lot, go fishing, … more

LifeStats Automatic Journal Keeps Tabs of Your Day

Most of us live very active lives. This is after all why we’re fans of mobile … more