Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

GPS/Navigation problem... app, mobile or something else?

OP Kutusov

13th March 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27

199 posts
Hi, I'm really not sure what to make of this problem so maybe you can help me out pinpointing the problem so I can take care of it. I've observed several things and don't know how to connect the dots, or if there's any connection, so let me list what I've been seeing:

1 - I've got TomTom to use on my car.

2 - Worked wonderfully well on the first week or so. Fast to lock onto satellites (10 to 20 seconds), accurate and stable without loosing the lock.

3 - I've noticed from day one that it tends to to locate me a few meters back than what I'm actually am, so if I come about two streets very near one another, the turn on the correct one is a bit hard to to tell without looking at the map.

4 - A week ago, the phone started to take longer to lock my position and won't keep it, it often loses connection with the satellites.

5 - Also, the problem is a lot worse if I stop. It might be accurate while I'm driving over 50mph but, if I stop, the direction I'm facing is lost and then my location. It will place me within 50m to 100m of where I am, which could mean on another street. It has become useless for the slow paced city driving, with red lights and slow traffic.

6 - I haven't changed ROMs or anything major but I have downloaded a few apps, might have taken a few others out, the usual stuff... I'm using Android Revolution HD 31.2.

7 - I've noticed that a lot of times, in regular mobile use, the GPS icon shows up trying to locate my position, even with GPS off. Might be that I have accepted Google's location request or is embedded on some app. Don't know if this has any relation to the workings of navigation or with the timeframe the problem occurred.

8 - A final though... I've always had this problem with standalone GPS devices... They work fine for a few weeks/couple of months and then they seem to deteriorate, having a hard time to locate my position, maintaining a good connection, etc. I have no idea on why this is or if there's some sort of cache I should be cleaning.

Oh, and this happens regardless of the weather... overcasted, rainy days or clear skies, it's all the same.

So any thoughts on how to pinpoint the source of the problem so I can fix it?

Cheers!

Renato
18th March 2014, 03:31 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27

199 posts
Anyone?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread