Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Screen locks immediately during calls - proximity sensor not working?

OP Sirchuk

7th June 2013, 04:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40

795 posts
I have two SGS4's. On one, when I place a call, the call screen stays on and it turns off when I raise it to my ear. It then turns on when I pull it away.

On the other, as soon as I place I call the screen goes dark. The only way to get it back is to push the power button and unlock the phone.

The "Turn screen off during a call" setting is set on both phones.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Next step is to do a wipe, but that just sucks.

I'm on stock and not rooted.

Thanks!
7th June 2013, 05:56 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 36

143 posts
Sadly I have the same issue on mine but not my wifes.... hope somebody knows something or maybe the rumored update thats going to be coming out will have a fix?? I dunno...
7th June 2013, 06:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

795 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprocket45

Sadly I have the same issue on mine but not my wifes.... hope somebody knows something or maybe the rumored update thats going to be coming out will have a fix?? I dunno...

Have you tried doing a reset yet? I'm hesitant since it's a pain to restore everything the way I like it. Definitely a weekend task.
7th June 2013, 06:33 PM   |  #4  

143 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirchuk

Have you tried doing a reset yet? I'm hesitant since it's a pain to restore everything the way I like it. Definitely a weekend task.

I have done a reset it solved it a little I guess but still having issues once in a great while all works well id blame it on the otterbox case but my wife has one so dunno if that could be the issue you have a case on urs never really played with the phone outside of the case lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
7th June 2013, 07:03 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

795 posts
Quote:

I have done a reset it solved it a little I guess but still having issues once in a great while all works well id blame it on the otterbox case but my wife has one so dunno if that could be the issue you have a case on urs never really played with the phone outside of the case lol

Nope, mine is naked for now. I'll have to do a reset today/tomorrow and see if that solves my issue. If not, I'm taking back to the store for an exchange. It's only been a couple of weeks.
7th June 2013, 07:08 PM   |  #6  

143 posts
To late for me to take it back but suppose to be a update coming soon that does alot of fixes so we will see Good luck like I said reset I did notice fixed it a bit let me know how it goes I'm threw sprint just curious if you have them only reason I ask if it's just a carrier issue with software or something I doubt it but just figured to see who you had lol

8th June 2013, 02:42 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

795 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samersh72

Dial *#7353# and make a test

sent from my Galaxy

That's what I was looking for!

Sure enough,the proximity sensor was always on and wouldn't go off.

I'm with T-Mobile and they have a 30 return/exchange policy if you buy it outright, which I had, so it only took about 10 minutes for them to exchange it!

Thanks for the testing code! XDA comes through once again!
2nd July 2013, 12:29 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
Same problem when I'm making a call, the screen goes blank when I put it to my head and when I remove it nothing happens.

I tried *#7353# and the proximity sensor goes of but will not stop..

I'm currently rooted, could it solve the problem to go back to stock?
24th August 2013, 06:29 PM   |  #10  
Flag Akron
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Possible Fix
Quote:

I have had the same problem over the last 3 weeks and decided to take a gamble. I tightened up all the screws on the device and squeezed real hard on the area where the prox sensor is and poof... it works. I have no idea what was up but I feel like the sensor is loose and the pressure resolved the issue. Many other post have talked about cleaning the area over the prox real good and it works but I think its the pressure that is actually fixing the issue. Anyone else have any ideas? Sorry if this was posted incorrectly, I have never posted before but I felt this issue is a PITA.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread