Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,291 Members 47,001 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Replacement Touchscreen TF701T

Tip us?

kilo94
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Unhappy Replacement Touchscreen TF701T

My TF701T fell off my bed over the weekend and the screen cracked (even while in the PERFECTO case ). ASUS customer service wants to charge $200 for me to ship it to them and replace the screen. I'm trying to find somewhere online that sells the touchscreen replacement to do it myself, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know a good source to find a replacement screen for the 701T?
My Phones: Samsung Galaxy S4 (stock) and HTC One S (rooted Stock ROM)
My Tab: Asus Transformer Pad TF701T
My (Kid's) Tab: Motorola Xoom (stock Jelly Bean)
Spouse Phone: Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (Rooted: Stock Jelly Bean)
Spouse Tab: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (GT-P7310--ICS)
Retired: Rooted MyTouch3G x 2 (ROM: CM9)

YayYouFixedIt
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo94 View Post
My TF701T fell off my bed over the weekend and the screen cracked (even while in the PERFECTO case ). ASUS customer service wants to charge $200 for me to ship it to them and replace the screen. I'm trying to find somewhere online that sells the touchscreen replacement to do it myself, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know a good source to find a replacement screen for the 701T?
You too?! I dropped mine last night. Mine is ok though. Thanks for telling us. Do not drop it! Not exactly bulletproof i guess.

master_image
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Here is the only website where you're going to find what you need

http://docteur-gsm.com/en/asus-trans...nt-screen.html
The Following User Says Thank You to master_image For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AngryDinosaur
Old
Thanks Meter 381

DONATE TO ME
i want to replace my digitizer, stupid screen can register everytime i touch it

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_image View Post

http://docteur-gsm.com/en/asus-trans...nt-screen.html
thats for the info, im hoping it will be on ebay or something soon
SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE II
[ROM][TW4.4]*eZKAT*| Official | N3/S5 Features |
ASUS EEE PAD TRANSFORMER TF101
[ROM][JB 4.2.2] [ KatKiss-4.2.2 #226 ]
ASUS EEE PAD TRANSFORMER TF701T
[ROM]★★[JB 4.3][CROMi-X 6.1]★★

DarkCecil
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by master_image View Post

[[docteur-gsm website]]

Yikes, that's ridiculously expensive... I dropped mine last night and the screen cracked. The display is still alive, but it registers touches like crazy. Luckily I can still use it with my mouse to some degree...

Has anyone had luck with ordering parts directly from ASUS? There's no way i'd pay them that much for that job, and the going rate on ebay for replacement TFx00 screens (albeit every one BUT the 701, WTF!) is in the $20-$40 range. I've already got the tablet apart, and am working on separating the glass from the bezel with a hair dryer. Very easy disassembly.

kilo94
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
I wanted to close the loop on this one since I initially asked the question. I ended up going with the tech support at ASUS, going through the RMA process, shipping my tablet to them, and having them replace the screen. In the end it was cheaper than the website above (they charged me $170), but it appears lke they sent me a new one in the end...because the invoice I got in the mail today said new, and it looks like it really is new (i.e., needing the firmware update again, not having a single thing that I had went it was sent, new registration number, etc).

So although it took them nearly a month, in the end I have my tablet back and it's smoother than ever.
My Phones: Samsung Galaxy S4 (stock) and HTC One S (rooted Stock ROM)
My Tab: Asus Transformer Pad TF701T
My (Kid's) Tab: Motorola Xoom (stock Jelly Bean)
Spouse Phone: Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (Rooted: Stock Jelly Bean)
Spouse Tab: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (GT-P7310--ICS)
Retired: Rooted MyTouch3G x 2 (ROM: CM9)

derekk1
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I had one tf701t with a cracked digitizer and another where the LCD just failed (but the digitizer was fine). Since I was unlocked, I figured I wasn't going to get much help from Asus. I figured I'd swap the digitizer from one onto the other. I've done this on other tablets but I was unsuccessful on the tf701t. Getting the screen out was pretty easy. The hardware is close to a tf700, but one important difference is in terms of how the digitizer and LCD are attached to each other. On the tf700, there are screws to hold on the LCD. These don't exist on the tf701t and there are plastic tabs instead that don't lift up. It doesn't look like there was any intent to allow the digitizer and LCD to be separated again (unlike other tablets). I was unable to do so without damaging the LCD. I thought I did it, but when I turned it back on, the pressure required to slightly bend the LCD to separate it from the digitizer damaged it just a bit.

If anyone is able to make this repair successfully, I'd love to hear about it. Replacing the combined LCD and digitizer as a single combined unit, would actually be pretty easy given the assembly method (easier than previous Asus tablets). I think that is the planned repair process.

DarkCecil
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekk1 View Post
If anyone is able to make this repair successfully, I'd love to hear about it. Replacing the combined LCD and digitizer as a single combined unit, would actually be pretty easy given the assembly method (easier than previous Asus tablets). I think that is the planned repair process.
I successfully separated the LCD from the back of my broken digitizer without damaging it, and used the tablet for quite a while with the broken digitizer disconnected. A few weeks ago, digitizers started popping up on ebay from china, so I ordered one when they dropped from $150 down to $100. I saved all the sticky back foam for the LCD, and replaced all the sticky back tape for the bezel-glass attachment. The ribbon cable was mounted a bit closer to the edge on the new digitizer, so it wasn't clearing the bezel properly when folded over. So I had to bevel my bezel a bit, lol, and thus made room for it. So with great satisfaction of not breaking anything, I button the tablet back up and boot it...

WTF??? X Axis is inverted. I touch the left, it registers on the right. I draw a circle, it mirrors that circle. Damnit. I've heard of this being a problem with the TF201's, but this model too??? So now, I'm contacting the seller to see about an exchange or refund.

Gone_phishing
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Parts Tablet the way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekk1 View Post
Personally, I would do like I just did with my motherboard replacement on my laptop.
**Just buy a broken for parts/AS/IS 701 and just take what you need off it. Then you have a parts tablet. I saw a few go for less than 100$ a few weeks ago when I was looking for parts. I just ended up sending it to ASUS though. I'd rather have warranty work if it's still under warranty, than void my warranty prematurely.

That being said,by the end of the year, I'll probably invest in a parts tablet, just in case. I live a rough lifestyle, but I try to take the best care of my electronics. That being said, accidents happen.

Rikodu
Old
(Last edited by Rikodu; 5th August 2014 at 05:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 148
Hello,

My lcd+digitizer screen have broken down and I need to replace them. Please, any help? On ebay, all I could find were screen digitizers.

Best regards!!
DHD with CM 11 | Dev - Mustaavalkosta
Radio: 12.65.60.29U_26.14.04.28_M
4EXT Recovery Touch v1.0.0.6 RC1

Asus TF701 with Dock - Official CM11 Nightlies/Cromi-X