Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,714 Members 41,094 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

News: Chromecast sold Millions, UK Release coming soon!

Tip us?

Asphyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243
Default News: Chromecast sold Millions, UK Release coming soon!

http://www.ibtimes.com/google-chrome...g-goog-1560666
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 748

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Awesome, finally a hard magnitude!
Imagined statement from Google boss to employee: "So remember, when you break something like HDCP, you're affecting millions of units."
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Awesome, finally a hard magnitude!
Imagined statement from Google boss to employee: "So remember, when you break something like HDCP, you're affecting millions of units."
What will be interesting to see is how the sales are outside the US where many of the folks who bought one probably were from outside the US! LOL

It's a good thing cause when you breach the Million unit mark there is enough there to encourage content providers to support it.

You know my feelings here, I'm more interested in getting content providers to support flinging content to other monitors and I don't care what device is used for that.

Once it's in the App and Website adding different methods (mDNS, AirPlay, DLNA) is easy....

But getting them to put that Icon to select the device is the hard thing to get them to do.
Chromecast selling the way it has will help and Roku's new dongle will add to that.

ash99
Old
(Last edited by ash99; 15th March 2014 at 03:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 47
Default UK Release date possibly next week

Looks like the likely release date is pegged as the 19th March ie. Next week. I can't wait !!!!

http://www.mobilelinuxnews.com/2014/...rrys-pc-world/

Asphyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243
The only thing that worries me and I'm interested in seeing is what is the real difference between the USA and the UK version...

Is it Hardware? Software? Or merely Content Restrictions?

If the just the Latter then finding a Root method will be very important and those that have root already it might be possible for Eureka devs to actually open up content restricted to the UK to rooted USA users as well.

Won't be easy by any means but possible none the less.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 748

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
The only thing that worries me and I'm interested in seeing is what is the real difference between the USA and the UK version...

Is it Hardware? Software? Or merely Content Restrictions?

If the just the Latter then finding a Root method will be very important and those that have root already it might be possible for Eureka devs to actually open up content restricted to the UK to rooted USA users as well.

Won't be easy by any means but possible none the less.
A few major things hardware-wise come to mind:
  • WiFi/WLAN region set to Europe, so it uses European bands
  • European equivalent of FCC (I forgot what it is) certification
  • ROHS compliance (though this likely is already compliant since most manufacturing is global nowadays and complies as a matter of course)
  • USB power adapter with UK plug and 220-240V/50Hz compliance

From a user perspective, there wouldn't be a difference.
  • No access for providers that don't provide in the UK (already the case for those that have imported Chromecasts)
  • UK content for providers that do provide in the UK (already the case for those that have imported Chromecasts)

So really, the only change imagine is making Chromecast "legit" for UK use, and probably the rest of Europe once the required language translations are handled. Funny, the Chromecast app description includes "App available in over 50 languages" - either that's someone having too much free time, or Google is targeting much more than the English-speaking world.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243
Yep I saw the 50 Languages thing elsewhere but was more interested in the fact that 5Ghz seems to be something Google is thinking about as far as WiFi is concerned.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03...v-offers-more/

Not sure that is for this unit but it could foreshadow something for the future plans and next gen.