[Q] Polaroid 8" Tablet PTAB8000 ICS 4.0.3

OP Dossey

13th December 2012, 07:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Ok, so a friend of mine bought 3 of these things from Kohls on Black Friday as Christmas presents for her kids and has asked me to help set them up as kid friendly devices. Unfortunately they don't come with any Gapps installed and I'm having difficulty installing any of them including the Play Store. I'm also running into problems installing simple games like Angry Birds. In fact very few of the APK's that I have backed up from my other Android devices seem to want to install on these tablets. I also can't find any forums on here or anywhere else evening addressing these devices yet. I'm wondering if there's some kind of generic udate.zip I can use for these things that isn't device specific? A little while back I was able to install an update.zip on a Zeki tablet that enabled me to finally install all the Gapps and maximize it's potential. But then again those things come rooted out of the box and the update was Zeki specific, so...

Anyways, please if anyone can help? This could be your chance to be the first to help unlock the potential of these devices.
14th December 2012, 12:02 AM   |  #2  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 10

25 posts
More
Rooting PTAB8000
This is NOT my work, it is from mbellot at FreakTab, but it worked great for me.

Rooting is easy, market is nearly as easy. Here is the original thought process.

Here it is, modified the way I have done it (a couple times), broken into logical chunks.

1. C:\ADB> adb shell
2. shell@android:/ $ mv /data/local/tmp /data/local/tmp.bak
3. shell@android:/ $ ln -s /data /data/local/tmp
4. shell@android:/ $ exit
5. C:\ADB> adb reboot

This gives you write access to /data for the next set of steps.

6. C:\ADB> adb wait-for-device
7. C:\ADB> adb shell
8. shell@android:/ $ echo ro.kernel.qemu=1 >/data/local.prop
9. shell@android:/ $ exit
10. C:\ADB> adb reboot

This puts you into a "debug" mode of sorts, the LCD will be black after the boot logo comes and goes.

11. C:\ADB> adb wait-for-device
12. C:\ADB> adb remount
remount succeeded
13. C:\ADB> adb push su /system/bin/su
518 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.042s)
14. C:\ADB> adb shell
15. root@android:/ # chown root.shell /system/bin/su
16. root@android:/ # chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
17. root@android:/ # rm /system/xbin/su
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, No such file or directory
18. 255|root@android:/ # ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
19. root@android:/ # exit

The chown and chmod in steps 15 and 16 are critical to su working properly.

20. C:\ADB> adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/.
3923 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.209s)

At this point you can install market files. You need to do it before you remove the local.prop file since the PTAB8000 refuses to run adb in root mode or allow remounting. You can use this as a starting point for installing market, but I would suggest you grab the latest ICS gapps and replace the files. Also, market/play is not vending.apk in ICS, its phonesky.apk.

Once you're done with su and market you need to make your tablet boot normal again.

21. C:\ADB> adb shell
22. root@android:/ # rm /data/local.prop
23. root@android:/ # rm /data/local/tmp
24. root@android:/ # mv /data/local/tmp.bak /data/local/tmp
25. root@android:/ # exit
26. C:\ADB> adb reboot

Finished.
The Following User Says Thank You to HD Brian For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th December 2012, 05:48 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Brian

This is NOT my work, it is from mbellot at FreakTab, but it worked great for me.

Rooting is easy, market is nearly as easy. Here is the original thought process.

Here it is, modified the way I have done it (a couple times), broken into logical chunks.

1. C:\ADB> adb shell
2. shell@android:/ $ mv /data/local/tmp /data/local/tmp.bak
3. shell@android:/ $ ln -s /data /data/local/tmp
4. shell@android:/ $ exit
5. C:\ADB> adb reboot

This gives you write access to /data for the next set of steps.

6. C:\ADB> adb wait-for-device
7. C:\ADB> adb shell
8. shell@android:/ $ echo ro.kernel.qemu=1 >/data/local.prop
9. shell@android:/ $ exit
10. C:\ADB> adb reboot

This puts you into a "debug" mode of sorts, the LCD will be black after the boot logo comes and goes.

11. C:\ADB> adb wait-for-device
12. C:\ADB> adb remount
remount succeeded
13. C:\ADB> adb push su /system/bin/su
518 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.042s)
14. C:\ADB> adb shell
15. root@android:/ # chown root.shell /system/bin/su
16. root@android:/ # chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
17. root@android:/ # rm /system/xbin/su
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, No such file or directory
18. 255|root@android:/ # ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
19. root@android:/ # exit

The chown and chmod in steps 15 and 16 are critical to su working properly.

20. C:\ADB> adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/.
3923 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.209s)

At this point you can install market files. You need to do it before you remove the local.prop file since the PTAB8000 refuses to run adb in root mode or allow remounting. You can use this as a starting point for installing market, but I would suggest you grab the latest ICS gapps and replace the files. Also, market/play is not vending.apk in ICS, its phonesky.apk.

Once you're done with su and market you need to make your tablet boot normal again.

21. C:\ADB> adb shell
22. root@android:/ # rm /data/local.prop
23. root@android:/ # rm /data/local/tmp
24. root@android:/ # mv /data/local/tmp.bak /data/local/tmp
25. root@android:/ # exit
26. C:\ADB> adb reboot

Finished.

HD Brian,

I'm going to say thanks because I'm sure everything you just posted is probably going to be very clear to quite a few people that understand all of that. So thank you for helping out. Unfortunately though for me, I got lost. Though I've been tinkering with android and windows mobile devices for about 3 years now, I've actually never done any ADB editing and not sure I fully understand how to do it.

Personally I'm not too concerned about modifying these things too much because they are for someone else's kids, and I've found a way to work around rooting and using Gapps to be able to install the apps they're needing. And before I hand these things back over to be wrapped for Christmas I'm going to make a video showing what I've done to maximize the out of box potential of these things.

But on that note, I'm going to make a request of you if you don't mind. Considering you seem to know how to easily achieve the task, I was wondering if you'd be willing to make and post a Youtube video that takes people through the steps. I know it might be time consuming, but after all we are all here to help each other out. And I'm sure that the people who actually own these devices would really appreciate it. At this point I haven't been able to find any videos on how to mod this tablet yet and the only forums that I've found discussing these things are the one you mentioned and this one here.

So I hope you'll be willing to help other owners out, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thanks
15th December 2012, 11:29 AM   |  #4  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 10

25 posts
More
I had been thinking about reloading the stock rom and doing the root all again as a refresher for myself, but I have never done a YouTube video before. I will try to find the time to do it and them I will post the link here.
23rd December 2012, 02:32 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 62

101 posts
Angry
For anyone still having issues with rooting and getting the play store on this device I have just made a script to automate the whole process.

filedropper [dot] com / polaroidaio

Note ADB drivers are required.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeODH4 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th December 2012, 06:56 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeODH4

For anyone still having issues with rooting and getting the play store on this device I have just made a script to automate the whole process.

filedropper [dot] com / polaroidaio

Note ADB drivers are required.

Thanks! I was able to run this script, it read the tablet, I asked it to root and install gapps, it said it completed but when the device restarts, I see the polaroid logo twice, then the screen goes black and just sits there forever. I was able to re-install factory and boot it back up so that was good. But didn't know if you had any ideas on what was wrong with my device. I'm using a brand new stock Polaroid PTAB8000 ICS 4.0.3. Windows 7, freshly installed Android Development Kit from today to get my ADB.
Last edited by smokethrower2; 24th December 2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to smokethrower2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th December 2012, 02:54 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 5

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokethrower2

Thanks! I was able to run this script, it read the tablet, I asked it to root and install gapps, it said it completed but when the device restarts, I see the polaroid logo twice, then the screen goes black and just sits there forever. I was able to re-install factory and boot it back up so that was good. But didn't know if you had any ideas on what was wrong with my device. I'm using a brand new stock Polaroid PTAB8000 ICS 4.0.3. Windows 7, freshly installed Android Development Kit from today to get my ADB.

Any luck with this script yet? Also, how were you able to flash back to factory?
25th December 2012, 03:55 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 5

16 posts
Wanted to add, got the same black screen so I booted to recovery and did factory reset which got me back to square 1. I install the getjar app store and did a search for gmail. when it came up i downloaded it, and during the installation it also installed the "Google Play" store. I was getting a few errors but after turning sync on and using the store for a bit they all cleared up so far. Now I have google play and gmail apps on the tab.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigT504 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th December 2012, 10:14 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 62

101 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT504

Wanted to add, got the same black screen so I booted to recovery and did factory reset which got me back to square 1. I install the getjar app store and did a search for gmail. when it came up i downloaded it, and during the installation it also installed the "Google Play" store. I was getting a few errors but after turning sync on and using the store for a bit they all cleared up so far. Now I have google play and gmail apps on the tab.

Sorry about the black screen issue guys there was an issue with the code. I've also completely rewritten the application in c++. All features should work without issues now.

You can download the software here: mediafire [dot] com/?o2864kb92hcc0hb (sorry i can't post links yet, I'll work on getting some posts done...)

1) Download RAR file
2) Extract RAR file
3) Run PolaroidAIO.exe
4) Enable USB debugging and Stay awake
5) Drivers are included in this release if needed
6) Enjoy your fully rooted tablet with the Play Store and Google Services Framework.

If anyone is intrested in the source code let me know and I will post it as well...

Have fun guys!

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokethrower2

There was a bug in the old code, same thing happend to mine after i did a factory reset to try and replicate your situation. Try the updated version 1.2 and let me know if u face any simular issues.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dossey

HD Brian,

I'm going to say thanks because I'm sure everything you just posted is probably going to be very clear to quite a few people that understand all of that. So thank you for helping out. Unfortunately though for me, I got lost. Though I've been tinkering with android and windows mobile devices for about 3 years now, I've actually never done any ADB editing and not sure I fully understand how to do it.

Personally I'm not too concerned about modifying these things too much because they are for someone else's kids, and I've found a way to work around rooting and using Gapps to be able to install the apps they're needing. And before I hand these things back over to be wrapped for Christmas I'm going to make a video showing what I've done to maximize the out of box potential of these things.

But on that note, I'm going to make a request of you if you don't mind. Considering you seem to know how to easily achieve the task, I was wondering if you'd be willing to make and post a Youtube video that takes people through the steps. I know it might be time consuming, but after all we are all here to help each other out. And I'm sure that the people who actually own these devices would really appreciate it. At this point I haven't been able to find any videos on how to mod this tablet yet and the only forums that I've found discussing these things are the one you mentioned and this one here.

So I hope you'll be willing to help other owners out, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thanks

Hey I just wanted to point out that you can indeed use root and remount /system. if you have proper root. which my AIO application will test for you as well. Here's what you do to remount /system as r/w:

Code:
C:\dev\adb>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su
su
shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /system
mount -o remount,rw /system
shell@android:/ # chmod 777 /system
chmod 777 /system
shell@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/app
chmod 777 /system/app
shell@android:/ # exit
exit
shell@android:/ $ exit
exit

C:\dev\adb>adb push sample.apk /system
/app/sample.apk
12 KB/s (187 bytes in 0.015s)

su
shell@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/app
chmod 755 /system/app
shell@android:/ # chmod 755 /system
chmod 755 /system
shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,ro /system
mount -o remount,ro /system
shell@android:/ #
The Following User Says Thank You to TeODH4 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th December 2012, 06:18 PM   |  #10  
Flag Wadesville
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
More
I was able to get the play store on with the first upload and then by following a couple of steps from aother tutorial, but I can't seem to get any apps in the Play Store to open or download. I keep getting a "device is not compatible" message. I've tried the DPI play store and also messed around with LCD Density Monitor but haven't had any luck. If someone could help tackle this problem as well as get netflix up and running, I would be extremely grateful. This seems like a pretty awesome tablet, it just needs to be let free.

I feel I should also add, for anyone considering doing this, that once you have the Play Store installed, at least in my experience; if you have it hooked up to a PC via the USB and try to install anything, it goes ape sh** and starts trying to force close and kicks a whole bunch of errors. It doesn't seen to do anything, but it's annoying as hell. I haven't tried it yet with it plugged into the charger, and it doesn't do it nearly as much when you have it unplugged, but it's just another one of those quirks that I'm sure will be fixed in due time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeODH4

Sorry about the black screen issue guys there was an issue with the code. I've also completely rewritten the application in c++. All features should work without issues now.

You can download the software here: mediafire [dot] com/?o2864kb92hcc0hb (sorry i can't post links yet, I'll work on getting some posts done...)

1) Download RAR file
2) Extract RAR file
3) Run PolaroidAIO.exe
4) Enable USB debugging and Stay awake
5) Drivers are included in this release if needed
6) Enjoy your fully rooted tablet with the Play Store and Google Services Framework.

If anyone is intrested in the source code let me know and I will post it as well...

Have fun guys!

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

There was a bug in the old code, same thing happend to mine after i did a factory reset to try and replicate your situation. Try the updated version 1.2 and let me know if u face any simular issues.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Hey I just wanted to point out that you can indeed use root and remount /system. if you have proper root. which my AIO application will test for you as well. Here's what you do to remount /system as r/w:

Code:
su
shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /system
mount -o remount,rw /system
shell@android:/ # chmod 777 /system
chmod 777 /system
shell@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/app
chmod 777 /system/app
shell@android:/ # exit
exit
shell@android:/ $ exit
exit

C:\dev\adb>adb push sample.apk /system
/app/sample.apk
12 KB/s (187 bytes in 0.015s)

su
shell@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/app
chmod 755 /system/app
shell@android:/ # chmod 755 /system
chmod 755 /system
shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,ro /system
mount -o remount,ro /system
shell@android:/ #

Last edited by rysimpson318; 25th December 2012 at 07:07 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to rysimpson318 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread