Clock

[Q] Black Screen

17th March 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
More
Hi i have the Galaxy S4 Active from At&t SGH-I537. It is rooted using activeroot by geohot and i have removed some blootware with titanium backup. It has worked fine for months and all of a sudden today the screen went black. The led notification light works and i can hear myself getting text messages but the screen simply will not turn on. Tried booting into recovery with no luck the screen was still off. When i plug my phone into my computer i can browse my files through the computer normally. I requested a new phone under the factory warranty and just realized that i am screwed and will get charged full price for replacement because my phone is rooted. Does anyone have any suggestions??
17th March 2014, 10:16 PM   |  #2  
Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 356

1,013 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udipti

Hi i have the Galaxy S4 Active from At&t SGH-I537. It is rooted using activeroot by geohot and i have removed some blootware with titanium backup. It has worked fine for months and all of a sudden today the screen went black. The led notification light works and i can hear myself getting text messages but the screen simply will not turn on. Tried booting into recovery with no luck the screen was still off. When i plug my phone into my computer i can browse my files through the computer normally. I requested a new phone under the factory warranty and just realized that i am screwed and will get charged full price for replacement because my phone is rooted. Does anyone have any suggestions??

It sounds like your screen is broken, it could be something on the software side, but my bet is that the screen is broken. One thing you could try before sending it off for warranty replacement is to flash the Odin files for MF1, this will wipe everything but you would be able to see if the screen is truly broken or not.

If you do have to send it off for warranty, I suggest flashing the ML2 Odin package, don't flash the ML2 bootloader as this will provide you a way to get back to MF1. This will revert your phone to stock and they shouldn't be able to tell you rooted it. The flash counter shouldn't be tripped either since it's not possible to flash anything to the i537. Beware that your warranty replacement will probably come with ML2 pre-installed meaning you will no longer have root. Most of the time Samsung will simply replace your phone, but if they just install a new screen and don't update the firmware, make sure you don't flash the ML2 bootloader.

The other thing you could do is search around for a replacement screen and try to install it yourself.

All the Odin packages can be found in the i537 Firmware thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devo7v For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread