Preventing stress on micro usb port...?

OP frozenfyre

15th March 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

13 posts
I swear for as smart.and.as great as this phone is, the easiest things to fix which pose the biggest.problems arent.fixed. Having the phone plugged.in.while using.it in landscape creates huge stress.on the port. So much that the cable gets looser as the pins are bent. Stupid samsung with their.idiotic location for.ports, but I.digress... has anyone found a longterm fix for this? . I thinking like a plastic moount that clips.to.
The bottom of the phone and.encases the beginning of the charger cable to prevent any stress in any direction? My temporary solution is I rubberband the beginning of the cable in a few loops as if I have it zip tied. This prevents any minor tugging from directly pulling the port.
15th March 2014, 07:34 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 91

455 posts
First of all new USB 3 port cost about $14 and could be replaced by user in about 30 min even if you don't have 1 yr warranty. You can use any USB 2 wire to charge Note 3, some are much thinner and more flexible, than the factory cable. And with at least 6 hours screen time I can't imagine running out of power before night, when I put it on charger and go to sleep, but I do have full time job and little kids so actually never had a chance to use it for 6 hrs in 1 day anyhow. Maybe you need bigger battery and if you don't like Samsung design maybe another phone, I don't see anything wrong with it, otherwise would not buy it, heard Apple is a popular brand, but never actually used it.
15th March 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #3  
Flag Lisbon
Thanks Meter: 24

297 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k

First of all new USB 3 port cost about $14 and could be replaced by user in about 30 min even if you don't have 1 yr warranty.

I hate giving a reply that doesn't really help the OP, but I can somewhat sorta agree with this comment. Sorta.
Because I got the Note 3 now but haven't broken its port yet.

However I did have the Note 2 and the Galaxy S2 and there was that issue if you're careless. Sloppy plugging and stress, sometimes a few drops of water falling on the port too and shorting it, etc. Anyway, I'm very unskilled and clumsy regarding basic electronics repairs but still managed to replace the USB board on the S2 with Ebay parts. It was less than 20 USD, the board and a kit of screwdrivers. It really is very easy to replace that part if you damage the USB port (getting the infamous "charging / not charging intermittent warnings, even when the phones are not connected to anything).

I seriously doubt the N2 or N3 are much more complex. (I used repair videos on YouTube for the S2, I'm sure they will pop up for the N3 if relevant)

Not so with other components (Screen, for instance). So take some care with it and don't worry too much because even home-repair is fairly accessible and cheap in that case.
Last edited by Beowulf_pt; 15th March 2014 at 07:50 PM.
16th March 2014, 01:17 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

13 posts
Okay let me paint you a picture..I play aot of poker. there is an outlet under the table so I have my phone plugged in sitting on the rail behind my chips as I either watch 24/7 movies or play games.but since my phone is horizontal, naturally gravity works its magic and puts pressure on the port. not only that, but the less slack I have the more pressure is applied.

so as you can see my circumstances are very specific to my regular usage of this device. hence I utilize rubber bands.sometimes.
16th March 2014, 01:25 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 329

1,092 posts
If you guys are really concerned about the usb port on the phone being damaged, maybe something like the qi wireless charger can help.

Or maybe buying a spare battery.
16th March 2014, 10:42 AM   |  #6  
Flag Blackpool
Thanks Meter: 42

117 posts
More
Or buy a right angled usb cable

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread