Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Question Which smartwatch to go for

OP SlashSpeed

12th March 2014, 11:09 PM   |  #1  
SlashSpeed's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
238 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
I'm looking into buying a smartwatch and I'm stuck at deciding which one to go for. The price can't be higher than 150$ because of my finances, so Gear and TrueSmart are out of my league.

I was looking more closely into SmartQ Z, ZGPax and Motorola Motoactv. I would use it mostly for everyday use and running. I also take in account the modding capability and apps that can run on it. I'm aware that ZGPax and Motoactv can basically be completely modified and can run most play store apps (and motoactv even has GPS build in). So what about SmartQ Z? Could I for example run edmondo sports tracker?

All answers are much appreciated. Oh and if it matters, I have a HTC One X running CM11, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue right?
The Following User Says Thank You to SlashSpeed For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 12:28 AM   |  #2  
Jose_Carlos's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Málaga
Thanks Meter: 1
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
I'm waiting the answer with you, I prefer SmartQ Z

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Jose_Carlos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 03:08 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Montevideo
Thanks Meter: 25
 
224 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
I'm on my second motoACTV. It's amazing even if you don't root it and install custom roms.
My first ACTV lasted two years and is still working. I used it as a daily watch but also at the gym or for running. Sweat and rain damaged the buttons after 18 months of heavy use. Six months later (last month) I bought a new one for $125 at amazon. This one is a newer version of the device with a few design changes but it's still the same ACTV.

The funny thing is that the buttons on my old actv are working now perfectly lol.


But anyway, I would recommend the Actv because it's tough. Mine fell to the floor a lot and there are no scratches what so ever.

Battery life lasts like a week if you use it as a watch.

If you have wifi on and are downloading apps then screen time is 1-2 hours.


It's an impressive little device and it looks cool. And it's so amazing that it came in November 2011 yet it can do the same all these new devices do (except taking pictures).

And its price is also quite good on amazon. So I'd go for it.

Edit: motoactv app on the play store will let you sync everything, no matter on what Android phone you are. motoactv.com will track all your fitness data.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtvdeo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 11:10 AM   |  #4  
SlashSpeed's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
238 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Thanks for the reply mtvdeo! Motoactv is really tempting I must say, mostly because it's more of a standalone watch with the gps and everything. Problem is though, I'm from central Europe (Slovenia) and getting even an used one is quite a pain. I couldn't find any under 150$ (If I take delivery and handling fees into consideration).
14th March 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Montevideo
Thanks Meter: 25
 
224 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashSpeed

Thanks for the reply mtvdeo! Motoactv is really tempting I must say, mostly because it's more of a standalone watch with the gps and everything. Problem is though, I'm from central Europe (Slovenia) and getting even an used one is quite a pain. I couldn't find any under 150$ (If I take delivery and handling fees into consideration).

I was lucky since I went on vacation to the US and bought it from amazon.com for $110 (plus $15 dollar tax).
I'm from Latin America and it's quite a pain to buy stuff here. Tons of regulations and taxes. I'm basically not allowed to buy stuff from other countries where I live.

But maybe in your country you could buy from Amazon.com (USA site). It's really cheap there. I don't know about the shipping taxes and charge, though.

However, if you can wait a bit more, Google is announcing their watch in a few months. I think LG will make it. Motorola will also announce their new watch, which is rumored to have amazing battery life and great design. I'm really looking forward to the Motorola one (since I'm a fan of their designs).
14th March 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #6  
SlashSpeed's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
238 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtvdeo

I was lucky since I went on vacation to the US and bought it from amazon.com for $110 (plus $15 dollar tax).
I'm from Latin America and it's quite a pain to buy stuff here. Tons of regulations and taxes. I'm basically not allowed to buy stuff from other countries where I live.

But maybe in your country you could buy from Amazon.com (USA site). It's really cheap there. I don't know about the shipping taxes and charge, though.

However, if you can wait a bit more, Google is announcing their watch in a few months. I think LG will make it. Motorola will also announce their new watch, which is rumored to have amazing battery life and great design. I'm really looking forward to the Motorola one (since I'm a fan of their designs).

The price I mentioned was from amazon, so yeah, too expensive for me. I ordered a ZGPAX yesterday, I'll see how it goes. I'm keeping my eye out on the Nexus smartwatch and the new motorola, I'll probably get one of them when they get released and sell the ZGPAX.
15th March 2014, 01:03 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
115 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
I just ordered a samsung galaxy gear on ebay for a reasonable price. But then today I stumbled across the ZGPAX. The specs are pretty impressive for a $150 dollar watch
15th March 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #8  
reggiexp's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag {^_*}
Thanks Meter: 36
 
690 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
hey
me i like the smartq watch seems cool had android 4.4 a earphone plug. 4GB intern. 95€
and the motorola active i know i wanted one last year was 200€on motorola site. but must be cheaper now (i dont like the galaxy gear to expensive)
but can any one tell me
MOTOactv vs SMARTQ z watch witch is better?
fonctions? battery? (games? simple games i mean. i know the motoactv plays angry bird. but how is the smartq z watch does it play any thing?)
i just cant discide. damn i wich i was rich i would have bought them alll

its hard to find good battery tests. i know some one is testing the smartq z watch. forgot the site. i think was a french site. looked good.
how is battery live on moto actv?
Last edited by reggiexp; 15th March 2014 at 10:36 PM.
15th March 2014, 10:46 PM   |  #9  
SlashSpeed's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
238 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiexp

me i like the smartq watch seems cool had android 4.4 a earphone plug. 4GB intern. 95€
and the motorola active i know i wanted one last year was 200€on motorola site. but must be cheaper now (i dont like the galaxy gear to expensive)
but can any one tell me
MOTOactv vs SMARTQ z watch witch is better?
fonctions? battery? (games? simple games i mean. i know the motoactv plays angry bird. but how is the smartq z watch does it play any thing?)
i just cant discide. damn i wich i was rich i would have bought them alll

its hard to find good battery tests. i know some one is testing the smartq z watch. forgot the site. i think was a french site. looked good.
how is battery live on moto actv?

As far as I know, smartq Z doesnt' have a build-in GPU, so running games probably isn't exactly glorious.
15th March 2014, 11:00 PM   |  #10  
reggiexp's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag {^_*}
Thanks Meter: 36
 
690 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashSpeed

As far as I know, smartq Z doesnt' have a build-in GPU.

yeah i tought so. damn now i remeber why i loved the motoactv just looking on youtube it plays pretty much every game. i remeber some thing like that the motoactv has a powervr 530 or 531
but i think in terms of fonctions the smartq z watch is queit good.
i wish some one could make a youtube video or pictures of both. to see the difference.
cause the motoactv doesnt realy sync with your phone and show notification? cause i know it wasnt made for that

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes