Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,213 Members 40,051 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S4 back tot android 4.2.2

Tip us?

Raoul7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Galaxy S4 back tot android 4.2.2

Hello,

A few days ago i've updated my Galaxy S4 to android 4.3 from android 4.2.2, but Samsung Knoxx blocks Odin from downgrading back to 4.2.2 (using SamMobile rom). When I restore the factory defaults, my S4 directly starts up with android 4.3, so i think it's impossible to get back to android 4.2.2 without rooting.

So I was wondering if it's possible to root my device on android 4.3, get back to android 4.2.2 and unroot again so I can stay on android 4.2.2.

If anyone has other idea to get back at android 4.2.2, please let me know.

Thanks

Raoul

nov.six@qq.com
Old
Thanks Meter 39
You can't downgrad to 4.2.2, because of the Bootloader, but you can flash 4.2.2 in CWM with zip ROM package, and use 4.3 modem correctly, or you can restore the ROM from your backup before 4.3.

but you can't use the 4.2.2 modem anymore. and if you want to use 4.2.2 modem, you must restore the efs which backuped before 4.3

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

You can't downgrad to 4.2.2, because of the Bootloader, but you can flash 4.2.2 in CWM with zip ROM package, and use 4.3 modem correctly, or you can restore the ROM from your backup before 4.3.

but you can't use the 4.2.2 modem anymore. and if you want to use 4.2.2 modem, you must restore the efs which backuped before 4.3

Raoul7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nov.six@qq.com View Post

Could you please explain me how to do this? Are there any risks doing this? I haven't backupped before 4.3.

Thanks
Raoul

yashvchauhan
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Hey.
Try downloading Knox Disabler (Google it) it's an app which will disable knox.
Then try flashing the south Africa official firmware (make a backup of efs before!!) There was a thread regarding this. Apparently, its the only fw that allows downgrading.
However your boot loader still would show warranty bit 0x1.

I think 4.2.2 modems are available in this forum, so flash the one available for you country..

Edit - why do you want to go back to 4.2.2?
Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app
Follow Yash Chauhan
(yashvchauhan)

Device - Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500
ROM - CyanogenMod 11.0
Kernel - Stock CM
Rooted | Enabled Navigation Keys | Installed Google Launcher | Complete Google Experience

Raoul7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashvchauhan View Post
Hey.
Then try flashing the south Africa official firmware (make a backup of efs before!!) There was a thread regarding this. Apparently, its the only fw that allows downgrading.
Okay, so i have to flash the south african official firmware first using odin and later the version of my own country, right?

Quote:
I think 4.2.2 modems are available in this forum, so flash the one available for you country..
What's the difference between modem and ROM/firmware?

Quote:
why do you want to go back to 4.2.2?
A few reasons:
1. Knox keeps showing those annoying alerts.
2. The batterytime is about a third from my batterytime at 4.2.2
3. I don't like the changes in the keyboard.
4. My camera does make the shutter sound again when taking a picture.

Thanks
Raoul

Raoul7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Hey.
I can't even disable knox.
when i open the app it says 'su binary not found in /bin or /xbin' and when I click 'Disable', it says the app has stopped working.

yashvchauhan
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul7 View Post
Okay, so i have to flash the south african official firmware first using odin and later the version of my own country, right?

What's the difference between modem and ROM/firmware?

A few reasons:
1. Knox keeps showing those annoying alerts.
2. The batterytime is about a third from my batterytime at 4.2.2
3. I don't like the changes in the keyboard.
4. My camera does make the shutter sound again when taking a picture.

Thanks
Raoul
1. You can disable Knox. Like I said, once you use the Knox Disabler App http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2482306 , you can disable it. You need to have root access though.
EDIT - I just read your post properly. Do you have root access? Did you update su's binary after gaining root access?
2. Battery with MJ9 (latest FW) is as good as 4.2.2
3. Download the google keyboard (or i'm pretty sure 4.2.2 samsung keyboard must be available as an apk.., look around)
4. idk yeah it does. I just realised it. Lol.
Just letting you know, lot of performance improvements in 4.3. Cam starts almost instantly as opposed to 4.2.2.. etc.

But if you still want to :
Disable KNox first!
Here is an excellent guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2491499

Bear in mind, should anything go wrong, flash official 4.3 FW
*****MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR 4.3 EFS NOW*****
Also, your warranty bit will stay 1.
Follow Yash Chauhan
(yashvchauhan)

Device - Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500
ROM - CyanogenMod 11.0
Kernel - Stock CM
Rooted | Enabled Navigation Keys | Installed Google Launcher | Complete Google Experience

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 184
Note that it's only possible to downgrade with an I9500 not with and I9505.

If you want to go back to 4.2.2 with an I9505 you need to flash a custom rom. That's the only way. But, I am not sure if that will work because of the new bootloader. Just try it, if it doesn't work, you can always go back to 4.3.
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v2.6

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3

mfreeman3769
Old
(Last edited by mfreeman3769; 16th December 2013 at 11:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Hello,

How to flash 4.2.2 in CWM and keep the 4.3 modem?

Thanks!

Did you use ODIN? What Image did you use?

Normally the new 4.3 Bootloader does not allow downgrades and bricks the phone at around 2%

TIP: Using CF-AUTO-ROOT fixed my boot screen issue, by allowing me to clear the data and factory reset the phone. (Recovery Mode)

[QUOTE=nov.six@qq.com;47520765]You can't downgrad to 4.2.2, because of the Bootloader, but you can flash 4.2.2 in CWM with zip ROM package, and use 4.3 modem correctly, or you can restore the ROM from your backup before 4.3.

but you can't use the 4.2.2 modem anymore. and if you want to use 4.2.2 modem, you must restore the efs which backuped before 4.3[COLOR="Silver"]

gbarnoy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy adding to the misery of 4.3

Quote:
1. You can disable Knox. Like I said, once you use the Knox Disabler App http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2482306 , you can disable it. You need to have root access though.
EDIT - I just read your post properly. Do you have root access? Did you update su's binary after gaining root access?
2. Battery with MJ9 (latest FW) is as good as 4.2.2
3. Download the google keyboard (or i'm pretty sure 4.2.2 samsung keyboard must be available as an apk.., look around)
4. idk yeah it does. I just realised it. Lol.
Just letting you know, lot of performance improvements in 4.3. Cam starts almost instantly as opposed to 4.2.2.. etc.

But if you still want to :
Disable KNox first!
Here is an excellent guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2491499

Bear in mind, should anything go wrong, flash official 4.3 FW
*****MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR 4.3 EFS NOW*****
Also, your warranty bit will stay 1.
Hey Yash, perhaps you would know of another issue related to the 4.3 update - my wife just had her S4 updated with the Rom, and since then, the Wifi is getting really problematic. no matter which WiFi the phone connects to, it will prompt a "Sign in Required", and will open the browser for no good reason. after a couple of minutes, it will disconnect from the internet, as it will require to sign in (to nowhere). Any ideas? the Internet doesn´t have an answer as far as I know.