Tried Rooting/Flashing My Phone and Failed

OP i_love_kittens

16th March 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hey everyone, I tried rooting and flashing my phone and failed.

I started with my Verizon Galaxy Note II (i605) VRUEMJ9 running Android 4.3 and used a guide at Mobiada titled "How to Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SCH-I605 on Android 4.3 VRUEMJ9 Jelly Bean" (Can't post links yet.) to root my phone using Safe Root. Before I tried flashing my phone to Cyanogenmod, my phone worked fine and I was able to grant super user permissions, but I really just wanted to install Cyanogenmod to hopefully speed up my phone. I used the Root Verifier app and confirmed that it was in fact rooted.

After my phone was running rooted with the stock ROM, using the Goomanager app to try and flash my phone. I ran the "Open Script Recovery." I then downloaded the stable version of Cyanogenmod for my phone, cm-10.1.3-i605.zip (Android 4.2.2) along with the gapps, I selected the zips to flash in the right order (Cyanogenmod first.) I tapped "Order & Flash Selected," (Again ROM at the top and Gapps on bottom.) then selected "Wipe Cache," "Create Backup," and "Wipe Data (factory reset)," I tapped flash.

My phone never powered into Cyanogenmod, when I power it on it only says "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless store for help." (Verizon is so evil...) I think "recovery mode" is supposed to be entered by pressing the volume rocker up, the home button down, and the power button down at the same time, however it just goes to the Verizon message. When I do the same but press the rocker down I get into the screen that says "A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications. If you want to download a custom OS press the volume up key. Otherwise, press the volume down key to cancel." When I press volume up it goes to a screen that shows an Android logo and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!"

So it's obvious I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help fixing my phone, preferable while flashing to Cyanogenmod would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by i_love_kittens; 16th March 2014 at 04:08 AM.
16th March 2014, 04:19 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
I'm thinking about using Odin to flash to stock, but I want to avoid bricking my phone, I don't know which ROM to flash with in my situation.
16th March 2014, 05:12 AM   |  #3  
Flag New York

2 posts
More
I just did pretty much the same thing. That other mode you mentioned is called download mode. Use odin to flash the firmware again and you should be fine. go to sammobile and make an account, download the mj9 firmware and extract it. Put the phone in download mode and connect it to the comp. Odin will recognize it, select pda and use the extracted mj9 file and click start. There are 2 options that should be selected on the left. Auto reboot and f. Something, I forget but thats important.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
16th March 2014, 05:33 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Themer
Flag LbTs
Thanks Meter: 4,616

3,290 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_kittens

Hey everyone, I tried rooting and flashing my phone and failed.

I started with my Verizon Galaxy Note II (i605) VRUEMJ9 running Android 4.3 and used a guide at Mobiada titled "How to Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SCH-I605 on Android 4.3 VRUEMJ9 Jelly Bean" (Can't post links yet.) to root my phone using Safe Root. Before I tried flashing my phone to Cyanogenmod, my phone worked fine and I was able to grant super user permissions, but I really just wanted to install Cyanogenmod to hopefully speed up my phone. I used the Root Verifier app and confirmed that it was in fact rooted.

After my phone was running rooted with the stock ROM, using the Goomanager app to try and flash my phone. I ran the "Open Script Recovery." I then downloaded the stable version of Cyanogenmod for my phone, cm-10.1.3-i605.zip (Android 4.2.2) along with the gapps, I selected the zips to flash in the right order (Cyanogenmod first.) I tapped "Order & Flash Selected," (Again ROM at the top and Gapps on bottom.) then selected "Wipe Cache," "Create Backup," and "Wipe Data (factory reset)," I tapped flash.

My phone never powered into Cyanogenmod, when I power it on it only says "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless store for help." (Verizon is so evil...) I think "recovery mode" is supposed to be entered by pressing the volume rocker up, the home button down, and the power button down at the same time, however it just goes to the Verizon message. When I do the same but press the rocker down I get into the screen that says "A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications. If you want to download a custom OS press the volume up key. Otherwise, press the volume down key to cancel." When I press volume up it goes to a screen that shows an Android logo and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!"

So it's obvious I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help fixing my phone, preferable while flashing to Cyanogenmod would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Flash the latest firmware in download mode thru Odin. . If you are on MJ9 your bootloader is therefore locked and you are unable to flash a recovery or flash a rom. .
So you can root, which is different, but I repeat you can NOT flash roms. .
If you any other ?'s just post them here and we will try to help you through the process of restoring your phone
Last edited by lacoursiere18; 16th March 2014 at 05:35 AM.
16th March 2014, 06:34 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
I just ran Odin and restored to stock, then rooted again with safe root. I found a video called "How to Unroot- Unbrick the Samsung Galaxy Note 2"
on Youtube that helped.

So is there no method to unlock the bootloader on this phone with Android 4.3 update? I wish I would've thought about that a few months ago...

I guess I'll have to find some other techniques for speeding up my phone. Any tips?
16th March 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Themer
Flag LbTs
Thanks Meter: 4,616

3,290 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hmm not really for speeding up.. With out having a liable backup of your phone its to dangerous/risky to mess with it.. There are other options though.. You could switch your 4.3 motherboard out with one that has 4.1.2.. If your not comfortable there is a guy on the forum that does this and guarantees his work and parts
PM me if you want more info

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread