WiFi antenna pin broken

OP icedfirefly

23rd April 2013, 04:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

5 posts
Hello guys.
A few days ago, mi nexus 7 didnīt power up, tried pressing power and vol down for more than 30 seconds, nothing.
The screen turned on from time to time, but all i can see was some static.

After gathering some courage and reading a bit on the internet, i opened it and there it was, the battery plug was in an angle, doing a false contact.
I donīt know how that happened, it was working normally before, i didnt drop it, hit it, nothing.

Ok, then i push the plug and it fit, but mi finger slipped and broke one of the wifi antenna pin connector, it seems they are pretty weak...
I closed the tablet and it power up and works almost perfect, now the wifi signal sucks a lot, most of the time it canīt connect unless iīm really close to the modem/router.

What can i do? i still have the broken pin, can i solder it? or use something else to make the contact? return it to Asus for a fix? and i guess they will charge me.

Also i opened it again today, to take a picture, and i saw that the power plug again is slipping outside of his socket, i think there is a flaw in the design if the plug canīt keep is place...

Well, thanks in advance!!!
Laters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pin Nexus.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1905628  
The Following User Says Thank You to icedfirefly For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2013, 05:26 PM   |  #2  
Flag Terrace
Thanks Meter: 690

1,418 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedfirefly

Hello guys.
A few days ago, mi nexus 7 didnīt power up, tried pressing power and vol down for more than 30 seconds, nothing.
The screen turned on from time to time, but all i can see was some static.

After gathering some courage and reading a bit on the internet, i opened it and there it was, the battery plug was in an angle, doing a false contact.
I donīt know how that happened, it was working normally before, i didnt drop it, hit it, nothing.

Ok, then i push the plug and it fit, but mi finger slipped and broke one of the wifi antenna pin connector, it seems they are pretty weak...
I closed the tablet and it power up and works almost perfect, now the wifi signal sucks a lot, most of the time it canīt connect unless iīm really close to the modem/router.

What can i do? i still have the broken pin, can i solder it? or use something else to make the contact? return it to Asus for a fix? and i guess they will charge me.

Also i opened it again today, to take a picture, and i saw that the power plug again is slipping outside of his socket, i think there is a flaw in the design if the plug canīt keep is place...

Well, thanks in advance!!!
Laters

You can solder a wire from the broken pin directly to the WiFi antenna

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
23rd April 2013, 05:42 PM   |  #3  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 95

510 posts
Donate to Me
More
And for the battery plug, electrical tape is your friend.

23rd April 2013, 07:59 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Thanks for the answers.
And... what about of the solder? i donīt know if it have the properties to transmit the wifi signal, maybe i put a wire or the pin back with solder, but if the solder doesnīt transmit the wifi signal iīm still screwed...
Sorry about my bad english, i tried my best, in spanish i could have explained it better....

Thanks!!
24th April 2013, 09:30 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 10

346 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for the answers.
And... what about of the solder? i donīt know if it have the properties to transmit the wifi signal, maybe i put a wire or the pin back with solder, but if the solder doesnīt transmit the wifi signal iīm still screwed...
Sorry about my bad english, i tried my best, in spanish i could have explained it better....

Thanks!!

Solder will be fine, I put solder on the pins of my one x to strengthen the connection and boost the signal worked perfectly.
24th April 2013, 01:45 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Well, last night i put a small dot of solder and put the pin back in his place, i tried it in the same spot where yesterday i had no signal and now it works perfectly!
Thanks!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to icedfirefly For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2013, 06:33 PM   |  #7  
Flag Terrace
Thanks Meter: 690

1,418 posts
More
Quote:

Well, last night i put a small dot of solder and put the pin back in his place, i tried it in the same spot where yesterday i had no signal and now it works perfectly!
Thanks!!!

Glad it worked

17th May 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I've had the exact same accident, well except that i broke not one but TWO pins. So basically all should i do is solder them back just like that?
20th May 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #9  
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 45

243 posts
More
About the battery connector. Mine has a black tape over the connector. It's glued from the red yellow and black cables up to the motherboard socket where the pin connects. It may be a new revision because it's one of the latests

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread