Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,642 Members 44,491 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi antenna pin broken

Tip us?

icedfirefly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default WiFi antenna pin broken

Hello guys.
A few days ago, mi nexus 7 didnīt power up, tried pressing power and vol down for more than 30 seconds, nothing.
The screen turned on from time to time, but all i can see was some static.

After gathering some courage and reading a bit on the internet, i opened it and there it was, the battery plug was in an angle, doing a false contact.
I donīt know how that happened, it was working normally before, i didnt drop it, hit it, nothing.

Ok, then i push the plug and it fit, but mi finger slipped and broke one of the wifi antenna pin connector, it seems they are pretty weak...
I closed the tablet and it power up and works almost perfect, now the wifi signal sucks a lot, most of the time it canīt connect unless iīm really close to the modem/router.

What can i do? i still have the broken pin, can i solder it? or use something else to make the contact? return it to Asus for a fix? and i guess they will charge me.

Also i opened it again today, to take a picture, and i saw that the power plug again is slipping outside of his socket, i think there is a flaw in the design if the plug canīt keep is place...

Well, thanks in advance!!!
Laters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pin Nexus.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1905628  
The Following User Says Thank You to icedfirefly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FitAmp
Old
Thanks Meter 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedfirefly View Post
Hello guys.
A few days ago, mi nexus 7 didnīt power up, tried pressing power and vol down for more than 30 seconds, nothing.
The screen turned on from time to time, but all i can see was some static.

After gathering some courage and reading a bit on the internet, i opened it and there it was, the battery plug was in an angle, doing a false contact.
I donīt know how that happened, it was working normally before, i didnt drop it, hit it, nothing.

Ok, then i push the plug and it fit, but mi finger slipped and broke one of the wifi antenna pin connector, it seems they are pretty weak...
I closed the tablet and it power up and works almost perfect, now the wifi signal sucks a lot, most of the time it canīt connect unless iīm really close to the modem/router.

What can i do? i still have the broken pin, can i solder it? or use something else to make the contact? return it to Asus for a fix? and i guess they will charge me.

Also i opened it again today, to take a picture, and i saw that the power plug again is slipping outside of his socket, i think there is a flaw in the design if the plug canīt keep is place...

Well, thanks in advance!!!
Laters
You can solder a wire from the broken pin directly to the WiFi antenna

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

BlackFire27
Old
Thanks Meter 95

DONATE TO ME
And for the battery plug, electrical tape is your friend.

icedfirefly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the answers.
And... what about of the solder? i donīt know if it have the properties to transmit the wifi signal, maybe i put a wire or the pin back with solder, but if the solder doesnīt transmit the wifi signal iīm still screwed...
Sorry about my bad english, i tried my best, in spanish i could have explained it better....

Thanks!!

vj4
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Thanks for the answers.
And... what about of the solder? i donīt know if it have the properties to transmit the wifi signal, maybe i put a wire or the pin back with solder, but if the solder doesnīt transmit the wifi signal iīm still screwed...
Sorry about my bad english, i tried my best, in spanish i could have explained it better....

Thanks!!
Solder will be fine, I put solder on the pins of my one x to strengthen the connection and boost the signal worked perfectly.
HTC One (M8), Nexus 5, Nexus 4, HTC One (M7), Nexus 7, One SV, One X+, One V, One X, Titan, Sensation XL, Senation XE, Sensation, Titan, Desire S, Desire Z, HD7, Mozart, Trophy, Desire Dev Rom, Kaiser 6.5WM/Myn's Donut, Polaris 6.5WM/Myn's Donut, Wizard 6.1WM,
You guys are ace thanks for your help over the years!!!

icedfirefly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Well, last night i put a small dot of solder and put the pin back in his place, i tried it in the same spot where yesterday i had no signal and now it works perfectly!
Thanks!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to icedfirefly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FitAmp
Old
Thanks Meter 689
Quote:
Well, last night i put a small dot of solder and put the pin back in his place, i tried it in the same spot where yesterday i had no signal and now it works perfectly!
Thanks!!!
Glad it worked

YoBKC
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've had the exact same accident, well except that i broke not one but TWO pins. So basically all should i do is solder them back just like that?

nlabrad
Old
Thanks Meter 45
About the battery connector. Mine has a black tape over the connector. It's glued from the red yellow and black cables up to the motherboard socket where the pin connects. It may be a new revision because it's one of the latests