Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,290 Members 53,090 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Removing root. Unable to upgrade

Tip us?

JFKruuse
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Removing root. Unable to upgrade

Hello folks. Unsure weather or not i post this in the correct place. So i rooted my SM-N9005 the other day just because well i"had" to. Ofcourse the next day the 4.4 update got released and i couldn't upgrade since my by now unfriendly phone told me i had tampered with it. I tried to restore it without really knowing what the hell i did and feeling a bit stupid for not getting it. I managed to remove root but it still says it's tampered with. Reckon i triggered the flash counter somehow. I could really use your help removing root and get my little phone back to "original" shape. Talk to me like a 3 year old since i apparently couldn't figure it out on my own. Cheers!

(And yes I have been reading so much about this my head spins now. I tried different ways to recover but i cant get it to work. I intentionally left out all the different apps i used here from the forum since that will probably confuse you guys aswell.)

toinktoink
Old
Thanks Meter 26
how did you root?

download the kitkat firmware from sammobile then flash it using odin (so you don't need to upgrade via ota) then re-root
"Thanks" are pretty much appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to toinktoink For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JFKruuse
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by toinktoink View Post
how did you root?

download the kitkat firmware from sammobile then flash it using odin (so you don't need to upgrade via ota) then re-root
Ok, it started when i tried to root it by following an online gtuide. However it didnt work so I tried another one and "semi-bricked" it. Using odin. I tried readiing up on it as much as i could but the more i read the more different ways i found. Long story short, i rooted it. It worked fine. But removing root didnt seem to do the trick. I would just like to return it to stock without ruining anything. And be able to upgrade OTA if possible.I love fiddling with these things but since i pay so much for this damn phone I rather not do anything more that can destroy warranty etc. As i understood it rooting it wouldnt leave a trace and should be easy to undo. Now I understand that wasnt the case. I know I am the one to blame but would love if anyone could just try to explain what to do in a simple step by step way. If you need any info on what i did I can try to explain but i ended up with like 12 different webpages open with different solutions and to be honest I am not sure I can explain everything i tried...

JFKruuse
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFKruuse View Post
Ok, it started when i tried to root it by following an online gtuide. However it didnt work so I tried another one and "semi-bricked" it. Using odin. I tried readiing up on it as much as i could but the more i read the more different ways i found. Long story short, i rooted it. It worked fine. But removing root didnt seem to do the trick. I would just like to return it to stock without ruining anything. And be able to upgrade OTA if possible.I love fiddling with these things but since i pay so much for this damn phone I rather not do anything more that can destroy warranty etc. As i understood it rooting it wouldnt leave a trace and should be easy to undo. Now I understand that wasnt the case. I know I am the one to blame but would love if anyone could just try to explain what to do in a simple step by step way. If you need any info on what i did I can try to explain but i ended up with like 12 different webpages open with different solutions and to be honest I am not sure I can explain everything i tried...
Solved