Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Safestrap questions

OP Eddie Hicks

15th March 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #1  
Eddie Hicks's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag South Jersey Shore
Thanks Meter: 32
 
193 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Donate to Me
More
I just purchased a new S4 this week. My last 2 phones were HTC phones which I rooted and flashed TWRP. HTC provides a method to unlock the bootloader. I only didn't go with a HTC One because of the lack of a removable battery and no SD card capability. Apparently rooting, installing recoveries and custom ROM's is a more involved process with the S4 because of locked bootloader. My understanding at this point is that I need to use the Safestrap method for recoveries and ROMs. My question is what if any is the downside of using Safestrap opposed to the normal method of flashing recoveries and ROMs? My S4 is MK2 with Android 4.3. Thanks.
15th March 2014, 07:33 PM   |  #2  
pwned3's Avatar
Senior Member
Cullman
Thanks Meter: 259
 
1,160 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Well with the way the s4 is locked down and safe strap being the only way for now to run a custom ROM... There are limitations to what you can do. No aosp roms or custom kernels. You can only run roms that use the stock kernel. After flashing a ROM you have to flash the modules for the bootloader you have.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
15th March 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 828
 
2,437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Hicks

I just purchased a new S4 this week. My last 2 phones were HTC phones which I rooted and flashed TWRP. HTC provides a method to unlock the bootloader. I only didn't go with a HTC One because of the lack of a removable battery and no SD card capability. Apparently rooting, installing recoveries and custom ROM's is a more involved process with the S4 because of locked bootloader. My understanding at this point is that I need to use the Safestrap method for recoveries and ROMs. My question is what if any is the downside of using Safestrap opposed to the normal method of flashing recoveries and ROMs? My S4 is MK2 with Android 4.3. Thanks.

A thread in general section that's a sticky that will help u.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
16th March 2014, 01:56 PM   |  #4  
Eddie Hicks's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag South Jersey Shore
Thanks Meter: 32
 
193 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwned3

Well with the way the s4 is locked down and safe strap being the only way for now to run a custom ROM... There are limitations to what you can do. No aosp roms or custom kernels. You can only run roms that use the stock kernel. After flashing a ROM you have to flash the modules for the bootloader you have.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Thank you very much. That answers my question partly. I guess I should have said do apps and system files work without issues on a safestrap rom? Is there a difference that you can tell.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
16th March 2014, 02:11 PM   |  #5  
Eddie Hicks's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag South Jersey Shore
Thanks Meter: 32
 
193 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

A thread in general section that's a sticky that will help u.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks. I did read loads of info in the stickies. There are some great tutorials on how to root, etc. I may have missed where it mentions the difference in how a phone works with a safestrap flashed rom opposed to one flashed by other recoveries. One of the reasons I ask is that from some comments apparently people are not happy about having to use safestrap. I now get the issue with being limited to the type of rom because of locked bootloader. I wanted to know if there were other concerns.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
16th March 2014, 02:16 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 828
 
2,437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Hicks

Thanks. I did read loads of info in the stickies. There are some great tutorials on how to root, etc. I may have missed where it mentions the difference in how a phone works with a safestrap flashed rom opposed to one flashed by other recoveries. One of the reasons I ask is that from some comments apparently people are not happy about having to use safestrap. I now get the issue with being limited to the type of rom because of locked bootloader. I wanted to know if there were other concerns.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

the only option available for non-MDK firmware phones is safstrap and it works with compatible roms which have grown in number. I have been using it since its initial release for the S4 and have zero complaints or concerns...
16th March 2014, 10:14 PM   |  #7  
Eddie Hicks's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag South Jersey Shore
Thanks Meter: 32
 
193 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

the only option available for non-MDK firmware phones is safstrap and it works with compatible roms which have grown in number. I have been using it since its initial release for the S4 and have zero complaints or concerns...

Great that's what I wanted to hear. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes