Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,412 Members 44,938 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Which S4 to buy in the USA?

Tip us?
 
Knight_Droid
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default [Q] Which S4 to buy in the USA?

I was wondering if the community could help me make a decision as to which model S4 would be best suited for me for primary use in the USA with very light travel abroad. Ive done my research on XDA and would like to hear some opinions of USA users of the S4.

I will outline some of my usage profile to help guide suggestions (this is not in order of importance).

Primarily use data over Wi-Fi.
Would like to root the phone.
Telephone Voice Recording (my job description often requires taking directions over the phone)
Wi-Fi calling would be great but not a must.
I like to jump between AT&T and T-Mobile so I need to have that flexibility. Mostly for the prepaid services.
I would prefer a very responsive device.
A lot of voice communication over the phone primarily using a Bluetooth headset.
4G would be nice but 3G is more than adequate for my data needs.
Fastest camera load times as well as picture quality is important to me.
The phone will be purchased without a contract.
I know what KNOX is but not sure how that would apply to which model to get if I want to root the phone.

Here are the options (if I leave something out please mention). If I state something incorrect please correct me.

i9500 - this is an eight core model, my understanding is that only four cores running at time anyway so there really is no advantage there. This is the first version of the S4.
i9505 - probably the one with the most development options as well as custom ROMs.
i9006 - probably the best performing version. Can it be rooted? KNOX workaround?
SGH-M919 - this is the T-Mobile version. My understanding is that its similar to the 9505 in terms of hardware performance and has LTE capability on the T-Mobile network. This will work also on PC Metro along with Wi-Fi calling on both T-Mobile and PC Metro.

What is the warranty situation on each of those for the USA (the T-Mobile one would be bought unlocked brand-new).

So based on my description of usage what do you guys recommend?
I like to thank everyone who contributes to helping me.
 
qtwrk
Old
#2  
qtwrk's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 802
Posts: 2,483
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Barcelona
It depends on which operator you use?

9500 is dual-quad core, but there seems rumor in next version of Android update will make it octa core online at same time

9506 , best for performance, rooting yes but KNOX ,I think it comes out with 4.3 so already included KNOX bootloader in factory.

If you don't wanna 4G and need some flashing, 9500 or 9505 , no flashing? 9506

But if you want 4G, take M919

9505 and 919 are hardware identical except radio frequency (although some of them coincided, but I think 9505 may not work on T-Mobile, but I don't know for sure )
if my words are useful or helpful to you , i will appreciate it you click thanks button
GT-i9023 Nexus S
GT-i9250 Galaxy Nexus
GT-i9300 Galaxy S III
GT-s5830 Galaxy Ace
GT-i9300 Galaxy S III
GT-i9506 Galaxy S IV 4G+
GT-i9505 Galaxy S IV (current)
 
Knight_Droid
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtwrk View Post
It depends on which operator you use?
Im going to jump from AT&T to T-Mobile. Primarily the prepaid variance. The reason being is I travel for work and certain areas get better coverage than others so I constantly flip back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtwrk View Post
9500 is dual-quad core, but there seems rumor in next version of Android update will make it octa core online at same time
I wasnt aware of this. But honestly by the time this rolls around I will probably be moving on to the next device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtwrk View Post
9506 , best for performance, rooting yes but KNOX ,I think it comes out with 4.3 so already included KNOX bootloader in factory.
So if I just want to root the phone will this affect KNOX on this model. And is there a workaround for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtwrk View Post
If you don't wanna 4G and need some flashing, 9500 or 9505 , no flashing? 9506
I dont really care that much about 4G. If I have it its nice, 3G will suit me more than enough. When you talk about flashing your talking about putting custom ROMs? That has nothing to do with rooting? And I am assuming you say that because the 9506 lacks in development because most people are going to wait for the S5, which is basically going to be the 9506 but waterproof.

Can you root the 9506?


Is there a big difference between the 9506 and 9505 in terms of performance? If you have to take a guess is it a 10% increase 30% increase?

Thank you for your response.
 
qtwrk
Old
#4  
qtwrk's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 802
Posts: 2,483
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Droid View Post
Im going to jump from AT&T to T-Mobile. Primarily the prepaid variance. The reason being is I travel for work and certain areas get better coverage than others so I constantly flip back and forth.



I wasnt aware of this. But honestly by the time this rolls around I will probably be moving on to the next device.



So if I just want to root the phone will this affect KNOX on this model. And is there a workaround for this?

Probably rooting without trigger KNOX, but I am not sure

I dont really care that much about 4G. If I have it its nice, 3G will suit me more than enough. When you talk about flashing your talking about putting custom ROMs? That has nothing to do with rooting? And I am assuming you say that because the 9506 lacks in development because most people are going to wait for the S5, which is basically going to be the 9506 but waterproof.


Yes, 9506 is in the middle of very embarrassing position


Can you root the 9506?

Yes, there is way to root it in forum.

Is there a big difference between the 9506 and 9505 in terms of performance? If you have to take a guess is it a 10% increase 30% increase?

Personally I'd say 9506 is about 40% over 9505 on performance, but it's all kinda over-performance for normal usage. It's like you have a car can run at 200 km/h and other one on 300 km/h where your highway is only allowed at 150 km/h ... that's what I think about it, I had 9506 once and turn back just because of lack of development

Thank you for your response.
Sorry for answer like this, tapatalk isn't good when reply it, I will try to answer your further question anyway I can.

Either, I think you should consult the operator if 9500/9505 works well on certain radio frequency before you buy it
if my words are useful or helpful to you , i will appreciate it you click thanks button
GT-i9023 Nexus S
GT-i9250 Galaxy Nexus
GT-i9300 Galaxy S III
GT-s5830 Galaxy Ace
GT-i9300 Galaxy S III
GT-i9506 Galaxy S IV 4G+
GT-i9505 Galaxy S IV (current)
 
Knight_Droid
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtwrk View Post
Sorry for answer like this, tapatalk isn't good when reply it, I will try to answer your further question anyway I can.

Either, I think you should consult the operator if 9500/9505 works well on certain radio frequency before you buy it
Ok thank you.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Control Your Toast Notifications with SlicedToasts

Toasts are delicious, even in their Android flavor. In Android, toast doesn’t lead … more

Rotation Lets You Take Full Control of Your Device’s Orientation Settings

To be brutally honest, the native options for screen … more

Change the Alarm Icon in the Status Bar with Xposed

It’s hard to find a more hated object than your alarm clock. They wake us up nearly … more

Return to Outer Space Outer Space with Ship Up Game

Since the release of Flappy Birds, we’ve had the “fortune” to see … more