Ask a question

No registration required

[req] Disable Proximity Sensor

OP redball

11th July 2010, 09:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I've been trying to pour through the API and find a way I can access and disable the proximity sensor with some code, but have been unsuccessful.

Does anyone know of a way, rooted or unrooted, that I can disable the proximity sensor completely?

I searched the forums and the only ways I found seem applicable to WinMo based phones.

Heck, I'll pay for a way to do it, I hate the proximity sensor that much.

Even if someone knows of a way I could disconnect it by opening my phone, I might even spring for that - but obviously a software approach would be much more appreciated...

Thanks!
11th July 2010, 09:15 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

329 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redball

Heck, I'll pay for a way to do it, I hate the proximity sensor that much.

Why do you hate it, if I may ask?
11th July 2010, 09:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsrya8

Why do you hate it, if I may ask?

It is unreliable, and I know it isn't just my phone because a number of people I know also have an HTC Incredible and it seems to behave just as erratically on theirs.

Based on the code I read through for Phone.apk or whatever, it seems like it is supposed to disable the proximity sensor when you're using bluetooth, just like when using the speakerphone - but it doesn't. I can't figure out why, and I noticed another thread floating around with users having the same issue.

I want to be able to use my phone while on a call and not have to worry about a shift in overhead light or something passing over the sensor and flipping the screen off while I'm trying to use it.

I would much prefer the ability to disable it entirely, and have full control of the screen off/on using the power button.

There was one app on the app store recommended in my searches that let's you lock the screen on and only go off based on orientation or something, but it doesn't seem to work for the HTC Incredible
11th July 2010, 09:40 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

223 posts
Try screebl? Should keep your phone on based on orientation, I think even during a call? Not sure though.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
11th July 2010, 09:47 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawde

Try screebl? Should keep your phone on based on orientation, I think even during a call? Not sure though.

I tried Screebl, too...but unless I'm configuring it wrong - it doesn't seem to work while in phone calls.
12th July 2010, 05:05 AM   |  #6  
Flag Middletown, CT
Thanks Meter: 63

681 posts
More
I hate it too. Makes my screen turn on and off when I use my bluetooth.

Sent from my HTC Incredible
12th July 2010, 05:13 AM   |  #7  

70 posts
More
I'm right there with you on this. I really hate being on a call and having the screen turn off and have to shake the phone around to be able to end the call.
12th July 2010, 05:20 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCGiants56

I'm right there with you on this. I really hate being on a call and having the screen turn off and have to shake the phone around to be able to end the call.

That's the worst! It's like it gets doubly worse just when I want to be able to hang up.

If it helps anyone...I found these links. (If you google for "mProximityWakeLock", and follow the first Stack Overflow link, it also has two links in it to PhoneApp.java and InCallScreen.java)

I tried making an app that just kept calling release(), but it ended up just creating force closes.
12th July 2010, 12:56 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

72 posts
you guys should email HTC so t hey fix it in the next OTA.
22nd June 2011, 06:51 AM   |  #10  
Flag Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 7

56 posts
More
I know this is not really about droid, but what proximity sensor also does is scale down CPU speed (even despite using setcpu) making Skype completely useless without a headset.

When you initialize a call - everything is cool.
If you hold your phone on your hand and use loudspeeker - it's cool.

As soon as you put it to close to your face/ear - not cool anymore. To the point where it's absolutely impossible...

Cheers!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
disable, htc incredible, proximity, sensor
Previous Thread Next Thread