Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Can't find OTA update

OP _J_L_

16th March 2014, 03:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Hi! I've been trying to download the OTA update on my phone but it stays on:

"Checking for available update.
Please wait..."

Anyone knows why? My phone is rooted by the way and bootloder is unlocked. Please help.

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
16th March 2014, 10:39 PM   |  #2  
dimsar2013's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 35
 
294 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
When the device is rooted and is running stock ROM, the OTA updates are not working properly on most devices. For example, in my Galaxy Y, when I tried to install a new firmware it stopped during the installation and rebooted on the old firmware. Then it displayed the known s*** like "The installation was not succesfull. Please try installing the firmware using Kies".
Otherwise, if your device is running a Custom ROM, you can update to the newest version without a problem.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th March 2014, 04:44 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimsar2013

When the device is rooted and is running stock ROM, the OTA updates are not working properly on most devices. For example, in my Galaxy Y, when I tried to install a new firmware it stopped during the installation and rebooted on the old firmware. Then it displayed the known s*** like "The installation was not succesfull. Please try installing the firmware using Kies".
Otherwise, if your device is running a Custom ROM, you can update to the newest version without a problem.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ok. Thanks for answering. What if I unroot the device? Is it possible the update works if I unroot the device?

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th March 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #4  
dimsar2013's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 35
 
294 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
If you unroot your device, you will be able to install a new firmware on it. Are you using stock or custom ROM?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th March 2014, 06:17 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimsar2013

If you unroot your device, you will be able to install a new firmware on it. Are you using stock or custom ROM?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'm using stock ROM.

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th March 2014, 10:02 PM   |  #6  
dimsar2013's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 35
 
294 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
OK then. The solution is on the post 5. Unroot the device, install the new firmware and you can root the phone again if you want.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th March 2014, 02:56 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by _J_L_

I'm using stock ROM.

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ok. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes