any downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3.x?

Search This thread

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
I can say after 2 weeks this update is atrocious. Random reboots happen daily and several times at that. After deleting all Knox apks and odex files it still will appear Unfortunately Samsung Knox has stopped, if I'm on the market and every time I turn on the phone. Battery Life is better but not worth this mess. Network issues with tmobile but not on ATT. I have a s4 on tmobile it has no issues only my note 3. 4.3 is more stable and more reliable.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've actually seen no probs with the Kit Kat update. If anything it runs smoother than JB. I've ran my own stock build with no issues,,,,, Vision with no issues and project X with no issues that most people post. I've created issues and bricked my phone 5 times trying to fix other peoples phones. but other then following the standard upgrade and root process, i can honestly say, i think most of the problems are either, phone issues, or users.

Reactions: Nathan.7118391

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I've actually seen no probs with the Kit Kat update. If anything it runs smoother than JB. I've ran my own stock build with no issues,,,,, Vision with no issues and project X with no issues that most people post. I've created issues and bricked my phone 5 times trying to fix other peoples phones. but other then following the standard upgrade and root process, i can honestly say, i think most of the problems are either, phone issues, or users.

I'm using the Factory Image haha and have these issues. I seriously was on the Internet Explorer and it locked and screen locked and after 5 seconds it reboots not my issue it's the phone. Gallery opens, but opening an image equals automatic FC. More I just can't think of off the top of my head issues. I never once had these problems on JB.

Last edited:
I've read that if you use Odin then it locks the Boot-loader. I'm not sure if the OTA locks the Boot-loader. I guess someone is going to have to put it all out and try to revert back to 4.3 with Odin to see if it works.

The bootloader is not locked in the 900t, regardless of odin or not. The qfuse, however, gets set and the bootloader cannot be downgraded. This blocks the path for flashing back to 4.3 as 4.3 will not work on the 4.4 bootloader.

Reactions: RaymondPJR

hucesar1017

Sep 3, 2010
New Mexico
I can't believe we're still playing this cat and mouse game with the bootloader restrictions. Uhhh..

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

herach

May 18, 2005
California
The bootloader is not locked in the 900t, regardless of odin or not. The qfuse, however, gets set and the bootloader cannot be downgraded. This blocks the path for flashing back to 4.3 as 4.3 will not work on the 4.4 bootloader.

So, would it brick the device if we try to flash back to 4.3? I just wanted to try to see if it would work or not without damaging the device. I don't want to void the warranty. I just got the device (about a Month or so) and since the 4.4.2 OTA update it has been a hell with the data connection.

FFTony

Feb 9, 2014
St Louis
My note 3 came with jellybean. I use a phone recording app to record all my calls. I also constantly move files between the sd card and the internal memory. Both of these things have broken since the update to kitkat. I would be happy to root my phone and go back to an earlier rom. Can you point me to a jellybean rom for t-mobile?

Not to give you bad news but as far as I have seen unless you have the Canadian Model you cannot downgrade to JB. :( From what everyone has been saying it is because of the bootloader. There might be someone that can do it in the near future. If you don't care about tripping Knox why don't you get a custom ROM that is better that stock version anyway?

_bhaves_

Mar 4, 2014
New Brunswick
Are you saying that I am the problem? If that is the case, how is it that it was working flawless before the update.

Don't worry it's not just you. My N3 was flawless before the update, ever since I took the OTA update i get random reboots multiple times a day. I hope someone figures out this bug. Im running full stock non rooted.

herach

May 18, 2005
California
Don't worry it's not just you. My N3 was flawless before the update, ever since I took the OTA update i get random reboots multiple times a day. I hope someone figures out this bug. Im running full stock non rooted.

I don't understand. Even in T-mobile Community forum, they don't want to except that the OTA is defective. They keep saying that is a User Error. I mean, come on guys. The device work just fine before the OTA. How is it that it is User Error when the device is broken after the OTA. Nothing has been changed or replaced except the OS. So, what does that tell you!!!!!
BTW, I created a new APN and the APN protocol I put IPV4 instead od IPV6 and it is working better. the Original Protocol is IPV6. You guys who are having problem with the DATA connection, might want to try that to see if it works for you.

xneolithicspx

Jul 22, 2009
There is no issue with the update. Its the apps that are on your phone or the data for said apps or just data on the internal causing the issues. Do a factory reset and I'm sure most of your problems will go away. Or just go threw what ever apps are force closing on you and clear app data and cache.

Sent from my hlte using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

herach

May 18, 2005
California
There is no issue with the update. Its the apps that are on your phone or the data for said apps or just data on the internal causing the issues. Do a factory reset and I'm sure most of your problems will go away. Or just go threw what ever apps are force closing on you and clear app data and cache.

Sent from my hlte using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yeah. I did several Factory reset from Recovery option and that didn't help. I even did a Flash with Odin and it was still the same but changing the APN Protocol helped a lot. Now only sometimes it disconnects. I mean I still have data connection (Full bars lte) but cannot access internet. Even on a fresh install.

nofroyo

Sep 20, 2011
Sacramento
So from what I gather on reading this thread you can't go back to 4.3 on a 4.4 bootloader. Does that apply to flashing a 4.3 rom via twrp or cwm recovery?

callif

Aug 25, 2010
Well, that's up to the court. I, for one, will not record phone calls, even asking the other party. Actually, I am puzzled: in what situation will you need to record the call?

I mean, seriously, when on a call with your friend, company, boss or coworkers, do you TELL them you are recording the call? That just creates conflict.

The only time i record calls is when I'm travelling. I contact a motel, and need to get driving directions, phone #'s or the like. It is really easier to replay the recording than re-contact the hotel.

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
The only time i record calls is when I'm travelling. I contact a motel, and need to get driving directions, phone #'s or the like. It is really easier to replay the recording than re-contact the hotel.

I would recommend using Google Navigation for direction. You can also "star" the hotel and then pull up the information later for address, phone number, etc.

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
I don't understand. Even in T-mobile Community forum, they don't want to except that the OTA is defective. They keep saying that is a User Error. I mean, come on guys. The device work just fine before the OTA. How is it that it is User Error when the device is broken after the OTA. Nothing has been changed or replaced except the OS. So, what does that tell you!!!!!
BTW, I created a new APN and the APN protocol I put IPV4 instead od IPV6 and it is working better. the Original Protocol is IPV6. You guys who are having problem with the DATA connection, might want to try that to see if it works for you.

The IPv6 protocol is something I've been testing since the OTA released due to data connection drops and more so the inability of the modem dropping the connection when switching back from 4G to LTE, if you set it to WCDMA/GSM and IPv4 on both (APN Protocol and APN roaming Protocol) it will prevent the modem from trying to switch between the two basebands and hold a better connection. For some reason the new updated modem is having a problem only with the IPv6 protocol which was also problem when 4.2 hit for the S4 but that got squared away when the 4.3 released.

The problem we face is Google isn't even done with the new update on their end which means Samsung is a long ways off from releasing it, the lucky part of being a consumer is it has been recognized and is part of a released fix list and you have the right to present it as a valid known issue with the device. T-Mobile will have to honor a device replacement because of the defect but it may take a few tries with reps to get it pushed through but if you update to the latest 4.4 again than that will be your own fault and you will end up waiting for it to get the update officially. Before anyone breaks out the torch and pitch forks I have spoke with a site rep about it and they were willing to honor the return as long as I provided the information Google listed as the next update/bug list. They are well aware if the issue though.

(They will fight the fact that it is a software issue and put the blame on you because it costs them money to replace the device for something they feel is not their fault so take it with a grain of salt if you get shot down a few times, I can see why and so would you if you were in their shoes.)

There are ways around the other issues people are concerned with and a quick search of the forum will get those answers.

Last edited:

herach

May 18, 2005
California
The IPv6 protocol is something I've been testing since the OTA released due to data connection drops and more so the inability of the modem dropping the connection when switching back from 4G to LTE, if you set it to WCDMA/GSM and IPv4 on both (APN Protocol and APN roaming Protocol) it will prevent the modem from trying to switch between the two basebands and hold a better connection. For some reason the new updated modem is having a problem only with the IPv6 protocol which was also problem when 4.2 hit for the S4 but that got squared away when the 4.3 released.

The problem we face is Google isn't even done with the new update on their end which means Samsung is a long ways off from releasing it, the lucky part of being a consumer is it has been recognized and is part of a released fix list and you have the right to present it as a valid known issue with the device. T-Mobile will have to honor a device replacement because of the defect but it may take a few tries with reps to get it pushed through but if you update to the latest 4.4 again than that will be your own fault and you will end up waiting for it to get the update officially. Before anyone breaks out the torch and pitch forks I have spoke with a site rep about it and they were willing to honor the return as long as I provided the information Google listed as the next update/bug list. They are well aware if the issue though.

(They will fight the fact that it is a software issue and put the blame on you because it costs them money to replace the device for something they feel is not their fault so take it with a grain of salt if you get shot down a few times, I can see why and so would you if you were in their shoes.)

There are ways around the other issues people are concerned with and a quick search of the forum will get those answers.

Well. It looks like it is working fine the way I have it setup. I have it setup on LTE/WCDMA/GSM(auto connect) and both protocols with IPV4. I really don't want to swap my device because it is only a couple of months old. I don't want it to be swapped with a refurbished one. So, I think I'll wait till they come up with a fix for it.

Tech Critic

Mar 20, 2014
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this'll help, but I'm still on 4.3 and I've had similar network issues to the ones described in kitkat. I have no way of knowing whether my issues are worse or better than they are on kitkat, since I haven't tried it yet. The reason I was reading this thread in the first place is that I'm planning on upgrading to kitkat in the near future. This is the first Android phone that I've bought for myself, and I did a large amount of research into ROMs, rooting, network compatibility, and just the Android OS overall before I decided to go with the T-mobile model. I've had the phone for about a month, and I haven't had time to do research on whether or not the Kitkat update could prevent future flexibility, so I haven't allowed any OS updates and I'm still running stock Android 4.3 and the MI7 baseband.

Overall, I've had few issues and I'm really enjoying Android even in its stock form. The reason that I'm commenting is that I have on probably 3 or 4 occasions had a problem where my network data stops working. The status bar icons still indicate a signal, but the phone won't load any Web pages. I've found that the fix is to quickly switch airplane mode on, then off again, and then it's back to working great. It's probably been about a week since it's happened to me, but it sticks out since it's one of the only problems I've had. Anyway, I thought this information might be useful to you guys, since it sounds like I'm having the same problem, so that might mean that it actually doesn't have to do with the Kitkat update. Then again, it's also entirely possible that the Kitkat update made any problems worse. I like to get as much data as possinle when im in such situations, and being that you guys are helping me out anyway, I figured id pay it forward.

Some other things to note:
Mobile plan: T-mobile prepaid 5Gb data / unlimited messages / 100 minutes for $30
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
APN Protocol: IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4 (I set data roaming to on when I first got the phone, but as far as I know my prepaid plan doesn't have any roaming allowance.)

I never touched the APN, so I'm not sure if the phone came with that APN or if it was installed automatically after I activated the SIM. One thing that I did notice just yesterday when I was browsing through the settings app, is that the setting "Auto network switch" ("Auto switch between Wifi networks and mobile networks") was unchecked. I actually didn't even realize that this particular list of settings existed, since you have to press the hardware menu button while looking at the list of wifi networks to get to it. I only saw it when I was reading through the manual. The manual I have is actually dated sometime in February, so I think it's based on Kitkat and not Jelly Bean which is what I'm running. The "Auto network switch" setting is not listed in the manual, so it may not even exist in Kitkat. The path to get to it is Settings > Connections > Wifi > press hardware menu button > Advanced > "Auto network switch."

It seems odd, since I've mainly used my phone on wifi, but when I have used mobile data outside of the house, I haven't had any problem transitioning to cellular data. When I did have a problem, it occurred in the middle of a Web browsing session, and like I was saying, cycling airplane mode restored the connection no problem each time. I only realized that this setting existed and enabled it yesterday, so it's too early to say if it made a difference, but it seems like a no-brainer that that option should have been set to on by default. Like I said earlier, I only had the problem on 3 or 4 occasions, so when it did happen, it wasn't happening all of the time.

Another thing that I should note is that I'm in Orange County California, and as far as I know, almost all of my coverage is LTE. On off peak hours I've gotten speeds of 30+ Mbps down AND up, and during peak hours around 12 down, 8 up. Although, now that I think of it, one of the times when I had an issue, I was in a parking lot and getting slower speeds which could have been HSPA+, so it could be like one of the commenter's was saying, that the problem occurs when switching from LTE to HSPA+ or vice versa. It could be that the reason that I've had so few issues is that I've been in almost exclusively LTE areas.

This might be a total noob suggestion, but if you're grapsing for straws, that setting I mentioned is something to check out.

Last edited:

jacqueline robert

Feb 5, 2014
London
Just to qualify, I don't give two ****s about tripping knox, I just want this stupid broken "update" off my god damned phone that I PURCHASED and OWN. I have searched and read for hours, and I have not seen a single thing about downgrading the boot loader or the OS successfully, except for the falsely titled (and should be deleted as it's #1 in google) link here.

Someone please tell me there's a way to do this? I despise this update.

I would be happy to root my phone and go back to an earlier rom. Can you point me to a jellybean rom for t-mobile?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can say after 2 weeks this update is atrocious. Random reboots happen daily and several times at that. After deleting all Knox apks and odex files it still will appear Unfortunately Samsung Knox has stopped, if I'm on the market and every time I turn on the phone. Battery Life is better but not worth this mess. Network issues with tmobile but not on ATT. I have a s4 on tmobile it has no issues only my note 3. 4.3 is more stable and more reliable.

I've read that if you use Odin then it locks the Boot-loader. I'm not sure if the OTA locks the Boot-loader. I guess someone is going to have to put it all out and try to revert back to 4.3 with Odin to see if it works.

Guys I just odin flashed 4.4.2 firmware so I'm assuming that flashed the bootloader as well? Is there somewhere I can look to tell this? I'd like to go back to 4.3.

If you used odin to flash N900TUVUCNB4, you would now have the 4.42 bootloader. There is no way to go back at this point.

Settings -> Device -> About Device, what does your baseband say?