Glonass enabled in AT&T Galaxy S4?

OP Maltytasker

15th March 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Seems that several GPS apps (GPS Test, GPS Status, AndroiTS)detect and show the GLONASS satellites where I am, but don't appear to actually use them, as their icons are grayed out or have minus instead of plus signs. What's the point of being able to detect them if we can't use them, or is there some way to enable them?
18th March 2014, 02:57 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I have noticed the same behavior. My phone locked on to many more sats with mk2 than it now does with nb1.
18th March 2014, 03:27 AM   |  #3  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 64

353 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdenny

I have noticed the same behavior. My phone locked on to many more sats with mk2 than it now does with nb1.

I thought it would only use Glonass if it can't get a lock on good ol' usa gps
18th March 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #4  
Out of curiosity why do you want to have access to the GLONASS satellites?

Unless your having several problems making contact with the GPS satellites I don't really see a point. Both systems work well enough to provide accurate locations...

While both are open to the public the only devices I have seen natively connect to GLONASS over GPS have been from Eastern Europe (which makes sense) and a few Middle Eastern devices, while the rest of the majority of the planet uses GPS.

Also, as for what @andrewdroid stated above that very well be a possibility, depending on what app your using for navigating.

*Append*
Actually, looks like that's the case... http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2...ion-your-phone it's from 2011 (and refers to the S2) but our processor should do the exact same thing. There might be something in the kernel that would let you choose a preference but since your on AT&T with a locked bootloader I don't foresee you using a custom kernel unless your on a older Loki-susceptible baseband.
Last edited by NighthawkXL; 18th March 2014 at 10:37 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread