Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,395 Members 47,327 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.4][ROOT] SDFix: Modify device permissions to allow apps to write to MicroSD

Tip us?

tliebeck
Old
(Last edited by tliebeck; 18th March 2014 at 08:05 AM.) Reason: Added link to Play Store download.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1769
Default [APP][4.4][ROOT] SDFix: Modify device permissions to allow apps to write to MicroSD

ROOT ACCESS IS REQUIRED.

I've written a simple app which modifies KitKat devices to allow user-installed applications to write to the MicroSD card on devices with two storage locations.

Background information on the underlying problem is available here: https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn Please ensure you understand the problem and that your device has it before installing this app. This app is quite useless if your device doesn't suffer this issue.

[[[[ THIS IS A BETA RELEASE. WHILE I HAVE TESTED THIS ON MULTIPLE DEVICES MANY TIMES, PLEASE RESTRICT YOUR USE OF THIS APP TO DEVICES YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO REFLASH FROM SCRATCH. I do not expect this to occur, but this is release #1 of this app, and it modifies a configuration file as root. That said, my test devices still work even when I deliberately corrupted and deleted the target file in testing. ]]]]

This app is entirely free. It doesn't have any ads, (but it does have a few Play Store links on its final screen to my other free apps).

Screenshots:

It will be going on the Play Store pending your feedback, but I wanted to post it here first. Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

How it works: The /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml is modified to specify that all applications which have the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission are registered as members of the Android UNIX group "media_rw". Membership in this group is necessary to write to the MicroSD card.

In Android 4.3, most all devices granted access to the media_rw group to apps. In Android 4.4, they do not. This app simply restores the old behavior. From what I've observed this method (granting permission via platform.xml), also appears to be the preferred means of restoring SD card access on XDA and elsewhere.

This app is designed to abort if it sees absolutely anything that it does not expect. Please let me know if the app does not work for you, and what type of device/ROM/etc you're using. If the modification is unnecessary (due to media_rw access being already present) this app will make no modification.

The original platform.xml will be backed up in /system/etc/permissions as "platform.xml.original-pre-sdfix" (unless that file already exists).

Download
The installed app is named "NextApp SDFix".
Tod Liebeck // NextApp
[ Google+ ] [ Twitter ] [ FX File Explorer: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ WebSharing: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ NextApp Keyboard: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ Atlas Web Browser: XDA Thread | Play Store ]
The Following 120 Users Say Thank You to tliebeck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tliebeck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1769
(Reserved)
Tod Liebeck // NextApp
[ Google+ ] [ Twitter ] [ FX File Explorer: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ WebSharing: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ NextApp Keyboard: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ Atlas Web Browser: XDA Thread | Play Store ]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tliebeck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

erdal67
Old
(Last edited by erdal67; 17th March 2014 at 06:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 246
Awesome!! Will try, hope it will work

Edit:
Sorry but how can i test it?
When downloading something from dolphin and next -browser it doesnt show sdcard1

Have a break, Have a KitKat (powered Samsung Galaxy S²)

PROUD TÜRK

MY ANDROID PHONES
HTC Wildfire *1st android but dead *
HTC Sensation Z710e *Selling*
Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9100*current*

Running:
Ressurection Remix
By Westcrip
OR
AOSB(ProBam)
by Sooti/ProBam TEAM
OR
PACMAN ROM
by PAC TEAM

Dropbox unlimited storage hack
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erdal67 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tliebeck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdal67 View Post
Awesome!! Will try, hope it will work

Edit:
Sorry but how can i test it?
When downloading something from dolphin and next -browser it doesnt show sdcard1

Have a break, Have a KitKat (powered Samsung Galaxy S²)
Most ROMs won't have this problem, it 's generally only an issue with factory firmware on KitKat (e.g. TouchWiz updates to KitKat). What ROM are you running?

The free version of FX File Explorer (links in my signature) should show both media card and internal storage if everything works, and you should be able to create a new folder under the "media card" catalog. If MicroSD access if prevented, attempting to create a new folder under "media card" will fail.
Tod Liebeck // NextApp
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tliebeck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hongkongtom
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Got the issue on my TabPro 8.4, pending for maintenance so can't root yet, but really great thanks for saving the day.

Sent from my SM-T320 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to hongkongtom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maxilick
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Thanks, all good on SM9005 stock Kit Kat
The Following User Says Thank You to maxilick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tliebeck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1769
Now available on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix
Tod Liebeck // NextApp
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tliebeck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

srggrs
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for this free app.
I'm going to visit your other apps.

maxflay
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Nice work !!

Nice work !! Working on my S4 I337M

mdalacu
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Thank you for your app, but you should modify it to clearly state that the device requires a reboot for the changes to take affect ( apop up or something because nobody will read the text after "Completed"), you can also make a button to reboot it directly.
That's my input. Thank you again.
History: Orange SPV c500, Qtek S200, HTC P3600, HTC Diamond, HTC TouchPro, HTC TouchPro 2, HTC HD2, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC DHD, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy Note, Asus TF201, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy N9005].

The Following User Says Thank You to mdalacu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]