Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Storage [ROOT][HOW TO] Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

OP prokennexusa

29th January 2013, 10:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 964

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
In this tutorial we will explore adding GPS functionality to the Kindle Fire HD 7" or the Kindle Fire HD 8.9". This idea began about 1 year ago and has gone through several changes to adapt to the current Kindle platform. You DO NOT need a WiFi router or need to be connected to WiFi. This method uses WiFi to transmit GPS Data to the Kindle Fire.We attempt to keep this tutorial updated regularly - adding information from the end users experience. We have recently upgraded the storage servers to increase uptime, you now have two options for the downloads both are ad free. Option one is a Dropbox Storage Server and Option two is a Ubuntu One Storage Server, if one is under maintenance you may use the other download link. When you are done with the tutorial, please take the time to post feedback, this is very important to us - without your feedback, we have no way of knowing if we are doing our job. Finally, if you feel we did a decent job, please think about donating to us using the "Donate to Me" button - this is how we make a living, without your kind donations we would no longer be able to do this for a living.

Prerequisites:

1. You will need a Phone that has GPS with the Kindle Fire HD
2. Rooted Kindle HD

That method does work on the Kindle Fire HD 7" and HD 8.9" and is a method that was developed for the original Kindle Fire, it is quite simple, if you want to play a bit here it is:

Step 1: Download and Install SQL Lite Manager: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...qleditor&hl=en

Step 2: Download and Install Tether GPS (Preferred Method): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mptonsoft.tgps

Step 3: Enter the following commands through ADB:

Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
If you see a Serial Number, than proceed. If you do not see a number please review our ADB USB Driver Install located in our Root tutorial: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=35957305

Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

copy settings.db settings.bak

sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='mock_location';"

adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

adb reboot
Step 4: After the Kindle Fire restarts you should be ready to tether! Connect your Kindle Fire to your phone's WiFi, launch the TetherGPS server on your phone, and launch the TetherGPS client on your Kindle Fire. Install Google Maps and Earth http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2069859

Alternative Method: Purchase Root Explorer from the Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.rootexplorer

ALT Step 1: Use Root Explorer and SQL Lite Manager to open /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

Code:
change 'mock_location' from '0' to '1'
ALT Step 2: Restart your KF.
Last edited by prokennexusa; 9th February 2013 at 05:24 AM.
29th January 2013, 11:42 AM   |  #2  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Prokennexusa - New Series - The Noob Express Series
To All-

We have listened to all of you, thank you to everyone in XDA Developers for your time and feedback, we are launching a new series for the more advanced and for the people who like quick and dirty tutorials. The new series will be called, The Noob (Simple) Express Series. The idea is to take our core steps and place it into a tutorial, drilling down the steps to 75% of the original tutorial. So, if we have the Root Kindle Fire and it is 10 steps long, we plan to make the new tutorial only 4 steps long.

We will begin to deploy the new series next week. Thank you again!
29th January 2013, 03:56 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

25 posts
Dose it means that I have to connect my phone's wifi network before I use Kindle Fire HD7's GPS?
30th January 2013, 01:19 AM   |  #4  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Prompt Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - Do I Need WiFi -
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustpop

Dose it means that I have to connect my phone's wifi network before I use Kindle Fire HD7's GPS?

dustpop,

This is a great question dustpop. No, this idea does not need to be connected to WiFi to function as designed. Tether GPS reacts as a 'Router' so you connect your Kindle to Your phone through a WiFi single. Having said this, your phone becomes what is equal to, a WiFi Access Point without Internet. We also have a Bluetooth version we will be posting for people that prefer a Bluetooth connection over WiFi.

Having said this, since it is not dependent on a Internet connection, you are able to hike, ski, walk, etc with the Kindle and use it for navigation while out and about.
The Following User Says Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2013, 06:24 AM   |  #5  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Info 2 Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version
To All -

We just added an optional BlueTooth method for those that prefer Bluetooth over WiFi. The Bluetooth tether does have less battery consumption over WiFi.
30th January 2013, 07:11 AM   |  #6  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 44

341 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa

To All -

We just added an optional BlueTooth method for those that prefer Bluetooth over WiFi. The Bluetooth tether does have less battery consumption over WiFi.

Does that mean it will work with bluetooth gps dongles? Or do you need a full fledged device to supply the gps?
30th January 2013, 10:13 PM   |  #7  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - GPS Dongle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekybiker

Does that mean it will work with bluetooth gps dongles? Or do you need a full fledged device to supply the gps?

Geekybiker,

Thank you for posting the question. Yes, this package will work with Bluetooth GPS devices or dongles although we have not tested everyone on the market. We had success with an older US Global Sat BT368 - they cost about $60. I suspect most will function without a hitch.
6th February 2013, 08:30 PM   |  #8  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Database Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version
To All-

We have updated all our links to include two download options:

1. Dropbox
2. Ubuntu One

If one of our storage servers is down, you have an alternate to choose from - either link will download the exact same package, we have done this for redundancy.
7th February 2013, 01:21 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 339

661 posts
Re: [ROOT][HOW TO] Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Versi
Bluetooth gps wont install, how did you get it to install?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
7th February 2013, 10:37 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 4

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kAramaicns98

Bluetooth gps wont install, how did you get it to install?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I can't get it to install from google play either? States it won't work on kfhd so won't install?
Any thoughts?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bluetooth gps, kindle fire bluetooth gps, kindle fire gps, kindle gps
Previous Thread Next Thread