Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 45,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Retrieving data with shattered screen

Tip us?

MyBrainHurts
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Retrieving data with shattered screen

So nightmare scenario, dropped my DNA across the metal transition between carpet and vinyl floors and completely shattered the screen. When I push the power button I get a faint grey color that indicates the phone is responding, but the screen is too far gone to display anything. The phone is rooted, and I believe I have TWRP installed. Is there any way to get my data off this phone? I activated my old Incredible (has it always been this small?!), so I have a phone, but I have pictures, videos and other files I would like to retrieve from the DNA with no apparent means to do so. Do I have any options other than ordering a screen/digitizer replacement and trusting my repair skills?

jgraves12
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Nothing happens when you connect it to a computer?

BTW is you username screeching weasel homage? Love it lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jgraves12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MyBrainHurts
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraves12 View Post
Nothing happens when you connect it to a computer?

BTW is you username screeching weasel homage? Love it lol

Turns out Boogadaboogadaboogada is too long...

When I hook it up I get the Verizon install crap. I have always had to unlock the phone and allow debug mode to enable it to function as a USB device and see files and folders. Obviously, that's not in the cards right now...

jgraves12
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Alright, well there's the adb push/pull commands but that'd probably have the same problems that mass storage has.

http://www.herongyang.com/Android/ad...l-Command.html

Do you have adb set up on your computer? See if "adb devices" recognizes your phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgraves12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MyBrainHurts
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Well, I was able to get something figured out over my lunch hour. I have an MHL->HDMI converter which I hooked up to my TV. That allowed me to verify that the phone was working and the digitizer was responding. I found out a while back that a small ziplock bag works wonderfully if there's a chance of rain since it's watertight and still allows the screen to respond to touches. I used one to protect my finger from all the glass edges. I then hooked the USB cord to a computer, blindly swiped the notification bar down and poked in the area where I remember the USB debugging line to be. Luckily enough, I managed to gain access. Not the easiest way of doing things, but it worked.

Now I just have to decide whether to fix the phone or burn an upgrade on another line to keep my unlimited data. Verizon's launch of the "The New One" might play into that decision...
The Following User Says Thank You to MyBrainHurts For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jgraves12
Old
Thanks Meter 8
That's awesome man. Glad you got everything figured out.

Yeah that phones gonna be awesome. Everyone b****ing about the black bar at the bottom but it doesn't bother me at all. That's definitely gonna end up being my next phone unless somehow Verizon gets the Xperia Z2.