Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Need help with build.prop edit

OP in_dmand

30th October 2013, 05:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 33
 
419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
I have rooted my phone and installed cwm recovery with the loki images built in. I am trying to modify my build.prop file so I can hide my soft keys manually and use lmt pie, but when I'm using Root Explorer (after I've mounted it as r/w) and when I open it with a text editor from RE it says "This file is too I large..." and displays a truncate version. It also won't let me save any edits. What am I doing wrong?
30th October 2013, 05:57 PM   |  #2  
qsec's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 166
 
925 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_dmand

I have rooted my phone and installed cwm recovery with the loki images built in. I am trying to modify my build.prop file so I can hide my soft keys manually and use lmt pie, but when I'm using Root Explorer (after I've mounted it as r/w) and when I open it with a text editor from RE it says "This file is too I large..." and displays a truncate version. It also won't let me save any edits. What am I doing wrong?

I can do that above with RE, very strange problem you have.

Try a build.prop editor, i used this in the link. It sets correct permissions after editing and so on. Use the pencil icon in the bottom right to edit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ld.prop.editor
Hammer_Of_The_Gods
30th October 2013, 05:59 PM   |  #3  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Hi,

Same thing for me with Root Explorer, instead I use build.prop Editor



EDIT: not fast enough
30th October 2013, 07:09 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 33
 
419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsec

I can do that above with RE, very strange problem you have.

Try a build.prop editor, i used this in the link. It sets correct permissions after editing and so on. Use the pencil icon in the bottom right to edit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ld.prop.editor

I got it and tried exactly like you said, and while it does pull it up and my keyboard pulls up and I can feel the haptic feedback, no letters will be inserted in deleted...? Really weird.
30th October 2013, 07:13 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 33
 
419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Maybe it's related to my root access? TB is showing I'm rooted, but check out my superuser app when I try to update an install new binaries...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-30-13-10-46.png
Views:	96
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	2360107  
30th October 2013, 07:16 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 776
 
1,890 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Get rid of Superuser and try SuperSu instead. Sometimes the old Superuser has issues on ROMs since ICS.
30th October 2013, 07:45 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 33
 
419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGmA1987

Get rid of Superuser and try SuperSu instead. Sometimes the old Superuser has issues on ROMs since ICS.

Downloaded and installed... Removed the old one. Still not letting me edit... Looks an feels like it is but won't enter any characters. At least RE isn't giving me the "too large" error anymore
Last edited by in_dmand; 30th October 2013 at 07:58 PM.
30th October 2013, 10:33 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 51
 
218 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_dmand

I got it and tried exactly like you said, and while it does pull it up and my keyboard pulls up and I can feel the haptic feedback, no letters will be inserted in deleted...? Really weird.

i had the same issue, couldn't figure out why. try replacing a commented line with the code to disable the nav bar
31st October 2013, 12:46 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 33
 
419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
How do I know if it's just a commented line and not necessary to the program?
24th March 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #10  
Member
Flag Florina
Thanks Meter: 7
 
63 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_dmand

I have rooted my phone and installed cwm recovery with the loki images built in. I am trying to modify my build.prop file so I can hide my soft keys manually and use lmt pie, but when I'm using Root Explorer (after I've mounted it as r/w) and when I open it with a text editor from RE it says "This file is too I large..." and displays a truncate version. It also won't let me save any edits. What am I doing wrong?

i had the same issue any help?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes