Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,344 Members 46,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooted from 1.4.0 (now 9.9.9) - should I unroot and go for CM7?

Tip us?

Bridge66
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Rooted from 1.4.0 (now 9.9.9) - should I unroot and go for CM7?

I have the original NT. I rooted at 1.4.0 and now have version 9.9.9. I haven't been following the XDA threads for a few months, but it looks like CM7 is finalized. I'm pretty happy with my NT as it is, but was wondering what CM7 might do for me and if I should go that route. Would mainly be interested in better battery life. Any advice?

lavero.burgos
Old
(Last edited by lavero.burgos; 4th May 2012 at 05:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1307

DONATE TO ME
As you have 16GB nook tablet:

* Download and copy the ROM you want to flash to your sdcard or internal sdcard (MyNOOK)

* Download CWM recovery flasher app by Indirect and install ClockWorkMod recovery (wait 10 seconds after hit install cwm recovery button so it installs well)

* Boot into CWM by using the quickboot app (download from google play) or manually powering on your device holding power+N buttons until you see see a white screen with a box, then let go power button and it will boot into CWM.

* Backup your current ROM from backup & restore in CWM

* After backup you are now good to flash any other ROM, follow instructions in respective thread about installation (cwm > Install .zip from sdcard).
Basically when changing to a total different ROM you should do all the wipes (wipe data/factory reset, wipe dalvik cache) then flash the ROM, that way you don't get issues with apps so you better backup your apps with Titanium Backup previous install new ROM .

~ Veronica
SG Captivate - PAC ROM 4.2.2 | SGS2X - CM10.1 4.2.2 | NOOK Tablet - CM10.1 4.2.2 |

If i helped you please hit
button -
Your files everywhere! Get dropbox 2GB+250mb free: http://db.tt/9DHo4Gi

VIDEO TUTORIALS
My XDA FTP Folder ~ GDrive Folder ~ My XDA Threads
The Following User Says Thank You to lavero.burgos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bridge66
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
My question, at this point, is whether or not it's worth it? What advantages will I get over having a rooted NT? Especially, will it improve battery life?

lavero.burgos
Old
Thanks Meter 1307

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge66 View Post
My question, at this point, is whether or not it's worth it? What advantages will I get over having a rooted NT? Especially, will it improve battery life?
CM7 does improve battery life lots more than stock. And the advantages of root are many starting by the ability to run very useful apps like e.g titanium backup that require root, access to paths that unrooted is just not possible and that gives you the ability to apply mods and customize your android device as you want because you get superuser permissions, which means you can do and undo whatever you want with your device. Basically with rooted Android there is almost no limits (almost because device compatibility with apps e.g games is a factor not many do so well).

~ Android is what you want it to be ~

~ Veronica
SG Captivate - PAC ROM 4.2.2 | SGS2X - CM10.1 4.2.2 | NOOK Tablet - CM10.1 4.2.2 |

If i helped you please hit
button -
Your files everywhere! Get dropbox 2GB+250mb free: http://db.tt/9DHo4Gi

VIDEO TUTORIALS
My XDA FTP Folder ~ GDrive Folder ~ My XDA Threads

titanshadow
Old
Thanks Meter 93

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge66 View Post
If I understand your question correctly you are wondering about advantages of CM7 over Rooted Stock OS right?

In that case, you get a more pure Android experience, the Google Play store is raiser to access. You also knock anything Android can do either way but with CM7 some annoying issues are fixed like settings screens appear correctly (no more white on white or black on black).

While you can read books on CM7 via the BN Nook for Android app, magazines and newspapers are off limits. You also have to use a modded version of hulu plus to get that going.

I personally, tried it and went back to rooted stock OS but I read magazines.
Cyanogenmod is to the average user as caviar is to the general.

https://plus.google.com/+DavidHagar/

Cubanluke88
Old
Thanks Meter 316
Do as Veronica said. If you don't like it, you can always boot into Clockworkmod and restore your backup and be back to where you are now.

Unless you use some of B&N services, like the magazines, IMO there's no reason to stay on the stock OS. Its ****. People here have made it tolerable with various workarounds but its ultimately ****.

Edit: for the love of god though, the first thing you better do in clockworkmod is make a backup and secure that backup somewhere.

blisside
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default cant install cwm

im not able to install the cwm as you showed this is what is shown any help would be appreciated P.S sorry for the picture quality
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20140321_192711.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	2642983  

digixmax
Old
(Last edited by digixmax; 23rd March 2014 at 09:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisside View Post
im not able to install the cwm as you showed this is what is shown any help would be appreciated P.S sorry for the picture quality
If you're trying to install CWM so that you can flash CM10 or CM11, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=123 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2670589.