Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,591 Members 36,428 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is my Kindle hard-bricked?

Tip us?

SaiyanPride
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is my Kindle hard-bricked?

I have the Kindle 8.9 HD with the front-facing camera. I tried to flash CM 11, but now it's stuck at the bootscreen. It has the orange and white boot screen and a second later, a pixelated white bar pops up on the left, then it stays frozen until I shut it down. Windows doesn't seem to detect it at all, and I can't seem to get fastboot mode except for in Ubuntu using Soupkit. However, even if I do manage to get it into fastboot on Soupkit, SK says the device is offline afterwards even though the tablet displays fastboot on the screen.

It should be said and might be obvious, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I spent a great deal of time reading into how to troubleshoot it myself. I do have previous experience with flashing roms on my Android phone, but that's about it.

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 18th March 2014 at 10:05 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 605

DONATE TO ME
Once it is in fastboot, reboot into windows and use kindle fire first aid. As I recall soupkit wasn't meant for 2nd gen kindles, only the kf1, but I could be mistaken, I use Ubuntu and know what I'm doing so I don't use these kinda things. Windows should detect the device as a jem device, so download drivers in my signature, extract them somewhere and in the device manager right click the jem device, hit update drivers, and point it to where you extracted mine. Once that is done kindle fire first aid should be able to reflash it.

Kffa: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2096888

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SaiyanPride
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
Once it is in fastboot, reboot into windows and use kindle fire first aid. As I recall soupkit wasn't meant for 2nd gen kindles, only the kf1, but I could be mistaken, I use Ubuntu and know what I'm doing so I don't use these kinda things. Windows should detect the device as a jem device, so download drivers in my signature, extract them somewhere and in the device manager right click the jem device, hit update drivers, and point it to where you extracted mine. Once that is done kindle fire first aid should be able to reflash it.

Kffa: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2096888

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
Just like that. It's working! Didn't realize SK wasn't for 8.9, so when it didn't work, I stopped and just assumed it was fastboot on the tablet that wasn't working. I guess thinking it was hard-bricked might have been a bit dramatic.

Thanks, man! You're a lifesaver. You know your ****.