Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 40,458 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Did someone try the PLEX app with chromecast ?

Tip us?

pirlouit2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Default [Q] Did someone try the PLEX app with chromecast ?

All is said in title

Sent from my HTC Desire X using xda app-developers app

abay1289
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Yes. It works on my non-rooted chromecast. You need to have purchased a Plex pass subscription in order for it to work.

Movies & TV shows work well if they are burned to your computer & follow the correct naming scheme. Some Plex channels work & some don't. The only thing I haven't been able to stream to chromecast is pictures & slideshows. Otherwise, it has worked great.
The Following User Says Thank You to abay1289 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DJames1
Old
Thanks Meter 88
What Plex channels worked for you? None of the ones I tried at random worked for me.

Overall it works fine for casting local content. The only issue is that the Plex app on my Android tablet disconnects from the Chromecast after a few minutes, and I have to reconnect it to get control back. I can reconnect without interrupting the video if I do it the right way. The Plex app doesn't disconnect from my Roku player, so it looks like the issue is on the Chromecast side.

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
What Plex channels worked for you? None of the ones I tried at random worked for me.

Overall it works fine for casting local content. The only issue is that the Plex app on my Android tablet disconnects from the Chromecast after a few minutes, and I have to reconnect it to get control back. I can reconnect without interrupting the video if I do it the right way. The Plex app doesn't disconnect from my Roku player, so it looks like the issue is on the Chromecast side.
There is a bug in the Plex Control protocol but it seems to be limited to the device that starts the stream as others seem to be able to jump onto the control and not have restart issues.

Try this and see if I'm correct there....
Next time you lose control, Force Kill the Plex App on your device, Then reload and select the CCast that is streaming.
You should resume control without seeing the Restart from scratch bug.

The loss of control may be CCast related but it may also be WiFi related. Any loss of connection on the device side (even switching bands) seems to disrupt the ability to control.

Plex Devs are aware there is an issue but right now all their CCast attention seems to be focused on the Transcoder and the Surround Sound Transcoding issue.

TRusselo
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2754

DONATE TO ME
MediaBrowser will be adding Chromecast support soon.

www.mediabrowser3.com

MediaBrower Server can also act as a backend server for Plex

DJames1
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Next time you lose control, Force Kill the Plex App on your device, Then reload and select the CCast that is streaming.
You should resume control without seeing the Restart from scratch bug.
I don't have to do anything that drastic. I can simply reconnect to the Chromecast and resume control of the current Plex stream without interrupting it as long as I don't change the selection. That's why it's not a big deal.

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
I don't have to do anything that drastic. I can simply reconnect to the Chromecast and resume control of the current Plex stream without interrupting it as long as I don't change the selection. That's why it's not a big deal.
So your not seeing the Loss of Control, Reconnect and Restart from beginning bug?

I wonder if they fixed that in a recent update...Could be...

abay1289
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:

I am able to get Nickjr, That Daily Show, and The Colbert Report channels working. However, many others don't work.

jkimbro
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Sucks that if your internet goes down that you can't stream local plex content to a chromecast. I was sad when I observed that. Maybe that'll be fixed in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

DJames1
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Huh, you're right about that, just tried it. With no internet connection the Chromecast won't connect to Plex over the LAN and instead gives the cheery error message "Oops, shouldn't be here." Along with that other delightful message "Brain freeze!" that you get when Pandora doesn't work, it really helps give the impression of a mature, well-designed, user-friendly product. I'm expecting to see "Shucks, we done screwed up." any time now.