OP shakash3obd

20th March 2014, 11:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

41 posts
Hello everyone,

I am in trouble but not sure if I bricked my HTC One X AT&T hboot 1.09 or not

Here is what happened:
I had Android 4.0.3 running and rooted with bootloader unlocked.
S-ON for sure.

Yesterday I tried to install custom rom or I thought if anything wrong goes bad I would upgrade it to the latest
4.2.2 from HTC.

with some commands from the fastboot I believe I distressed the entire system to the point where it cannot boot.
the only thing my device is doing now is just booting to the screen where HTC in green and the red text beneath it or I can go to the
bootloader menu.

I tried to fix this by flashing openrecovery-twrp-2.4.1.0-evita.img
it worked, and I was able to push several ROMs but non of them got installed, I kept getting error status 7.
I wiped everything from the recovery and then locked the bootleader and now I am really really stuck.
just the bootloader is showing.

One last experiment I tried to do, I put my device into fastboot and run the RUU for one of the ROM I downloaded for my device
but I only see a black screen with HTC logo and it kept me waiting more than half hour, I knew this will not work but I thought I would try.

Is my device done and I should through it away or there is a hope of fixing it?
I had this device for more than 2 years so no way AT&T would help, that's my guess.

Please guys, any suggestion? I am all for fixing it.
It was a stupid mistake ahhhh.

Thanks in advance.
20th March 2014, 12:11 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter: 8,769

14,235 posts
Donate to Me
Wrong forum mate, this is for the international hox quad-core version. You have to be in the at&t HTC one XL forum.
20th March 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hofs

Wrong forum mate, this is for the international hox quad-core version. You have to be in the at&t HTC one XL forum.

Sorry, is there anyway someone can move this thread to the appropriate forum.
I apologize.
20th March 2014, 01:15 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter: 8,769

14,235 posts
Donate to Me
I will report this one to get it moved. Good luck in the correct section
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hofs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2014, 03:52 PM   |  #5  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Midwest, USA
Thanks Meter: 1,273

1,579 posts
Donate to Me
More
Moved to: AT&T, Rogers HTC One X, Telstra One XL > One X Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting.

(mod team)
The Following User Says Thank You to krook6023 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 7,177

14,937 posts
Donate to Me
More
Looks like you've possibly made several mistakes there. First problem is you've been lurking in the wrong forum, which means you've probably been trying to flash ROMs that aren't for our device. Our device forum is here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1538

Bookmark that page and make sure you stay within our forum. Flashing ROMs/kernels/radios that aren't intended for our device can very easily result in a bricked phone.

I think your phone is fine as long as you can get it into the bootloader. Your problem when you were flashing ROMs is that TWRP 2.4.x and 2.5.x are buggy and are basically useless. This is probably a blessing in disguise if you were attempting to flash the wrong ROM, it probably saved your ass. Download at least TWRP 2.6 from here and you should be able to flash with no problems, just make sure they're actually our Evita ROMs that you're flashing.

Now, just to make sure this doesn't happen again, what were the commands you issued through fastboot that "distressed" your system? I need to know what you were doing that caused your device to falter. Also, don't ever run a jb RUU while you're s-on or you'll definitely brick your phone, doing that (SuperCID + s-on + jb RUU) has a 100% kill rate.

As a piece of advice, I'd suggest you stop "experiencing" with your device because the experiments you've been conducting could have easily bricked your phone on several occasions. You're extremely lucky. It seems to me that you need to do some research about our device and what you can and can't do with it. A good place to start would be my Evita FAQ and How-To Guide For Beginners threads in my signature, and build from there.

Sent from my Evita
20th March 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,274

7,490 posts
You are not bricked. With this phone, as long as the screen comes on, you are almost certainly not bricked. You just don't know how to recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakash3obd

with some commands from the fastboot I believe I distressed the entire system to the point where it cannot boot.

What the heck does "some commands" mean? You need to be specific about the exact steps you took. If you don't know the commands you tried, that is a problem, as it implies you are not being careful while modding the phone.

Quote:

I tried to fix this by flashing openrecovery-twrp-2.4.1.0-evita.img
it worked, and I was able to push several ROMs but non of them got installed, I kept getting error status 7.

That is a very outdated version of TWRP, and probably part of your problem. Use an up to date version.

Quote:

One last experiment I tried to do, I put my device into fastboot and run the RUU for one of the ROM I downloaded for my device
but I only see a black screen with HTC logo and it kept me waiting more than half hour, I knew this will not work but I thought I would try.

You can't (and shouldn't) just run any RUU. You should run the proper RUU for your carrier version (AT&T) and with s-on it has to be equal or later then the hboot version on the phone. Also do not run a Jellybean RUU on the phone, since SuperCID + S-on will brick the device on most Jellybean RUUs. You're okay if the screen is coming on, but don't run any RUUs unless somewhere here specifically instructs you to.

You have a couple options to proceed:

1) Re-unlock the bootloader, install an updated TWRP version, and try flashing a custom ROM.

2) If still on hboot 1.09, try running the 1.73 or 1.85 RUU (do you remember what build number you were on when you unlocked the bootloader?).
Last edited by redpoint73; 20th March 2014 at 04:27 PM.
20th March 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,274

7,490 posts
Quote:

I had this device for more than 2 years so no way AT&T would help, that's my guess.

AT&T warranties phones for 1 year. So you are out of the warranty period, if that is what you are wondering about. And warranty covers manufacturing defects, not damage done by the owner due to their negligence.

Besides, you don't need a repair or replacement. You just need to know how to recover properly from what you have done.
20th March 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

Download at least TWRP 2.6 from here and you should be able to flash with no problems, just make sure they're actually our Evita ROMs that you're flashing.
Now, just to make sure this doesn't happen again, what were the commands you issued through fastboot that "distressed" your system?

Thanks for stopping by,

I believe that I cannot flash any recovery mod such as clockwork or TWRP now, because as I explained. I locked the bootloader again.
I attempted to unlock it using the htcdev unlock bin file that they sent me but in the terminal I got the message

sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.142s]
writing 'unlocktoken'...
FAILED (remote: unlock token check failed)
finished. total time: 0.148s

that's why I am stock in the bootloader.
I didn't mean 'distressed' I was trying to say I destroyed, spilling correction mistake.
to be honest with you, there were 10's of fastboot commands that I tried some are related to s-off even.
but I think what killed the system is this
fastboot flash file.img
and the file was extracted from a ROM
CARBON-KK-NIGHTLY-20140319-1133-endeavoru
I now realize it's wrong. Please do not judge me
20th March 2014, 09:10 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

That is a very outdated version of TWRP, and probably part of your problem. Use an up to date version.

You have a couple options to proceed:

1) Re-unlock the bootloader, install an updated TWRP version, and try flashing a custom ROM.

2) If still on hboot 1.09, try running the 1.73 or 1.85 RUU (do you remember what build number you were on when you unlocked the bootloader?).

Thanks for your comments.

I put the command I used in the previous reply.
As far as the version of TWRP, I originally tried the latest one, but it wont flash at at that's why I tried an older version.

Again in my previous reply i said that I am not able to Re-unlock the bootloader.

Yes I am still in hboot 1.09 but don't remember the build number unfortunately.
Because all what I am in is because of my lack of knowledge of custom roms, would you be able to
point me to where I can download 1.73 or 1.85 RUU?
Also, Do you think I will be able to run RUU even from the bootloader menu. I tried to run RUU from the bootloader and it got stock in the
black screen with HTC logo forever!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread