Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,489 Members 46,001 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Formal request for source code

Tip us?

Lokifish Marz
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3250

DONATE TO ME
Default Formal request for source code

I have posted a public formal request for source code HERE. If you want properly secured working firmware, AOSP, CM and other ROMs, then reshare the G+ post and tag and plus Omate TrueSmart , MediaTek and the Free Software Foundation.
Ubuntop- U4A/Webtop hybrid for all Tegra2 Motorola phones (Fully integrated Ubuntu Desktop)
Live ROM (One "ROM" over 12 phones) (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world and as base by many devs)
Imperium Initiative Photon (used as base by many Photon devs)
Imperium Initiative LS970 (used as base by many LS970 devs)
Imperium Agent LS970 (LS970 version of Live ROM)
Evo Desktop PC (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world)
(Nexus Q)uantum Singularity Project (Media Center, File Server, Website Server, LinuxonAndroid in little black ball of joy)
Umeox x201 EnSec Enhanced Security Patch and Live ROM Installer (used by multiple devs world wide on over 6 different models/versions of x201's)
Every Android device I've owned since the Hero- Media Center, File Server, Website Server
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lokifish Marz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BPM
Old
(Last edited by BPM; 21st March 2014 at 01:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz View Post
I have posted a public formal request for source code HERE. If you want properly secured working firmware, AOSP, CM and other ROMs, then reshare the G+ post and tag and plus Omate TrueSmart , MediaTek and the Free Software Foundation.
There is a petition running:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a...iatek-devices/

source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2636257

dragonfly1113
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Done

Lokifish Marz
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3250

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPM View Post
Petitions are pretty much useless. There was over 100000 signatures for moto to release source. Result, nothing, nada, zilch. Spreading the word and getting the tech news/blogs to pick up on it is more ideal as it may get the actuall owners of the Linux kernel notice. From there, additional pressure and possible legal action.
Ubuntop- U4A/Webtop hybrid for all Tegra2 Motorola phones (Fully integrated Ubuntu Desktop)
Live ROM (One "ROM" over 12 phones) (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world and as base by many devs)
Imperium Initiative Photon (used as base by many Photon devs)
Imperium Initiative LS970 (used as base by many LS970 devs)
Imperium Agent LS970 (LS970 version of Live ROM)
Evo Desktop PC (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world)
(Nexus Q)uantum Singularity Project (Media Center, File Server, Website Server, LinuxonAndroid in little black ball of joy)
Umeox x201 EnSec Enhanced Security Patch and Live ROM Installer (used by multiple devs world wide on over 6 different models/versions of x201's)
Every Android device I've owned since the Hero- Media Center, File Server, Website Server

Jarocks
Old
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Petitions are pretty much useless. There was over 100000 signatures for moto to release source. Result, nothing, nada, zilch. Spreading the word and getting the tech news/blogs to pick up on it is more ideal as it may get the actuall owners of the Linux kernel notice. From there, additional pressure and possible legal action.

Well android authority picked it up. If we perhaps collaborate with the CyanogenMod for Mediatek ppl, we could get the XDA portal to cover out plight.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2274332

Tapatalked from my HTC Droid DNA

CyberianIce
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
You should pursue your specific device manufacturers for distributing source code, and not MediaTek as they are not in obligation relations with You or anybody else but with other hardware manufacturers which utilizes their SoC.

As the matter of fact, I asked three manufacturers who are involved in producing Alcatel's devices, and they provided me with source code I asked for (devices based on MT6572, MT6589).

What MTK charging for is bundle of sources and technical documentations for their hardware, and they are charging other companies who uses that electronics, not end users. Keep in mind that MTK don't producing phones but instead electronics. So next time knock on right door before throw hate over internet.
My Devices:

Current:
SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 Int | TWRP 2.7.0.0 | CM11 ROM
Blueberry NetCat M-12 | CWM 6.2.0.8 | Custom kernel | Custom 4.2.2 ROM

History:

My Contributes:

If you like my work you may donate me for coffie. If you can't, just hit "Thanks" button.

AdamOutler
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9524

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberianIce View Post
You should pursue your specific device manufacturers for distributing source code, and not MediaTek as they are not in obligation relations with You or anybody else but with other hardware manufacturers which utilizes their SoC.

As the matter of fact, I asked three manufacturers who are involved in producing Alcatel's devices, and they provided me with source code I asked for (devices based on MT6572, MT6589).

What MTK charging for is bundle of sources and technical documentations for their hardware, and they are charging other companies who uses that electronics, not end users. Keep in mind that MTK don't producing phones but instead electronics. So next time knock on right door before throw hate over internet.
Charging for Linux Kernel sources is piracy, regardless of who is being charged. MTKs policy just adds a level of abstraction. They are distributing the kernel, they need to provide source.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.

CyberianIce
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
Charging for Linux Kernel sources is piracy, regardless of who is being charged. MTKs policy just adds a level of abstraction. They are distributing the kernel, they need to provide source.
They are distributing kernel but not to individuals like You but to device manufacturers, so what do You want from MTK?

I'm aware of this, Sir, and they are to, but somebody wrong interpreted this, they are charging for technical documentation for hardware manufacturers not for individuals and not for source code. Source codes must be provided by device manufacturers from which an individual bought device because one must accept that MTK can't take responsibility for firms which make phones with their SoCs, especially because there are many clones of popular devices like SGS3 or SGS4 on market, that is whay you need to search source on other place, not MTK. Everyone know how deep are MTK's SoCs involved in plagiarism but that is not their fault, they just produce cheap chips.

Look here an example how serious firms like Alcatel (who now have CE) always provide full codes for their devices, even for MTK ones: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/alcatel/files/

You can find here MTK source codes for many popular SoCs.

You can't expect same behaviour from all manufacturers why make devices with MTK chips, especially from those low-profile companies form east universe.
My Devices:

Current:
SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 Int | TWRP 2.7.0.0 | CM11 ROM
Blueberry NetCat M-12 | CWM 6.2.0.8 | Custom kernel | Custom 4.2.2 ROM

History:

My Contributes:

If you like my work you may donate me for coffie. If you can't, just hit "Thanks" button.

jumoog
Old
(Last edited by jumoog; 23rd March 2014 at 04:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 209

DONATE TO ME
If you have a Samsung Device you get the Kernel Sources from opensource.samsung.com

and not from Snapdragon or Qualcomm

And petitions dont work because the Vendor dont care about

Found on Github:

https://github.com/aniruddha-adhikary/mt6572_kernel

AndreiLux
Old
Thanks Meter 13595

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
They are distributing the kernel, they need to provide source.
No they are not. Device manufacturers are distributing the kernel, it's up to them to release their sources and they are the legally binded entities to do so. MediaTek is not even able to deliver sources for such requests because they are not the holders of the software and any GPL source request to them has the same legal worth as to asking your grandmother for sources.

Sad to see such horse-raddish misinformation still going on on XDA.