FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

(Samsung S View Case + Mudder Ultra Thin Qi Receiver)^Sheer Determination = NFC Funct

335 posts
Thanks Meter: 105
 
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
As the title states, here are the mods I made to get NFC working with my Qi Reciever on my S View case. Basically I turned this

Into this


In an attempt to reduce the size of the bulge on my S View case to a minimum. I was able to retain the wireless charging and S View functions.
People have already been using this setup, with or without removing the excess material from the qi receiver with success; those who have know that this setup also renders NFC useless.

This was OK with me at the time but then I learned about RootCloak, the Xposed Module that allows you to hide SU from target applications, allowing rooted users of the Verizon Note 3 to use Isis NFC tap and pay functions. I was determined to get NFC, Wireless Charging and S View all working, and decided to take a chance and make a few more reductions to the Qi receiver to try to get this to work. What I ended up with is this

Using a razor blade I cut away all the plastic that was not integral in the circuitry or the coil for the qi receiver. I tried to take a picture to show that.


Anyway the end result is as I stated before, S View, Wireless Charging and NFC.


Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harajyuks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
16th January 2014, 05:38 PM |#2  
harajyuks's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Englishtown
Thanks Meter: 105
 
Donate to Me
More
I tried to take the screen shots in direct succession so that people would be satisfied that I'm not full of BS. However I had to restore a backup of my old school screen shot app (since I haven't had to use it since my Note 2) in order to get the S View screenshot. Of course the TiBu restored app didn't work since it was a version for ICS from my HTC Rezound days, so I had to update the app from the Playstore... accounting for the changes in time 12:22, 12:23, 12:29. I assure you that I have not tried to pull any BS, and I do have all three of these functions working.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
17th January 2014, 03:36 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harajyuks

I tried to take the screen shots in direct succession so that people would be satisfied that I'm not full of BS. However I had to restore a backup of my old school screen shot app (since I haven't had to use it since my Note 2) in order to get the S View screenshot. Of course the TiBu restored app didn't work since it was a version for ICS from my HTC Rezound days, so I had to update the app from the Playstore... accounting for the changes in time 12:22, 12:23, 12:29. I assure you that I have not tried to pull any BS, and I do have all three of these functions working.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That's pretty awesome, and modding one of those mudder receivers would only cost 10 bucks if you mess it up.

I worry about the receiver being bare like that though. You don't think it will cause any damage due to the heat being directly on the battery/door instead of through the coating originally put on it?
17th January 2014, 04:00 PM |#4  
harajyuks's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Englishtown
Thanks Meter: 105
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudosmog

That's pretty awesome, and modding one of those mudder receivers would only cost 10 bucks if you mess it up.

I worry about the receiver being bare like that though. You don't think it will cause any damage due to the heat being directly on the battery/door instead of through the coating originally put on it?

Honestly, yes that is a concern. Mudder manufacturers the Qi receiver with a substantial amount of thermal padding on the coil. The exposed coil, to my surprise, was actually also enveloped inside of a plastic film, as pictured. I have ripped apart other Qi receivers, copper wire receivers, to reduce the bulge through the back cover, leaving them exposed and they also produced a fair amount of heat while charging/immediately after being removed from the charging base.

In this useage, since I made these changes to the Mudder receiver, I can say that this setup doesn't get nearly as warm to the touch after being on my Qi pad overnight while charging as the exposed copper wire receivers I have also made changes to does (which is kind of an obvious statement as exposed copper wire will clearly get hotter than this Murder coil which is enveloped in the plastic film).
Personally, I was comfortable with the amount of heat that my original copper wire qi receiver gave off after I made the changes to it, as it was (believe it or not) not much warmer than the use of the receiver before I modified it. Having experienced that setup, I am definitely more confident in the Mudder receiver being used with these changes I made.
Notably, I was using the exposed copper wire reciever for about a month before I found out about the Mudder version, without any problems, and my current setup really doesn't get any warmer to the touch than using the wall plug.

Of course I am running a risk of having an issue since I have modified these products from their original design and intended use, but I am within my comfort-zone based on my experiences. As long as nothing explodes and burns my house down!

Btw, that coating in the Mudder receiver is easily double the thickness of the of the actual receiver.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Last edited by harajyuks; 17th January 2014 at 04:03 PM.
17th January 2014, 04:01 PM |#5  
harajyuks's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Englishtown
Thanks Meter: 105
 
Donate to Me
More
Wow, the camera on the OG Note 10.1 SUCKS! smh

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
17th January 2014, 04:06 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harajyuks

Wow, the camera on the OG Note 10.1 SUCKS! smh

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

I just cut up some of mine and left that thermal padding on and I got nfc working much better now (not 100% though).

If I get it in the right spot it does work all the time, but there's little margin for error. I'll probably keep chopping away and testing to see if I can keep the thermal stuff on it.
17th January 2014, 04:08 PM |#7  
harajyuks's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Englishtown
Thanks Meter: 105
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudosmog

I just cut up some of mine and left that thermal padding on and I got nfc working much better now (not 100% though).

If I get it in the right spot it does work all the time, but there's little margin for error. I'll probably keep chopping away and testing to see if I can keep the thermal stuff on it.

Its nice to get NFC working since there is a work around for ISIS now, I doubt I would have tried this if not for RootCloak.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
31st January 2014, 06:24 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harajyuks

Its nice to get NFC working since there is a work around for ISIS now, I doubt I would have tried this if not for RootCloak.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

ISIS works flawlessly, even with my half cut up version.
I was *told* the NFC for ISIS sits on the sim card. But I dunno if I believe it.

Either way, while I still have some small issues with NFC in general, ISIS works perfectly.
7th February 2014, 08:03 AM |#9  
Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudosmog

ISIS works flawlessly, even with my half cut up version.
I was *told* the NFC for ISIS sits on the sim card. But I dunno if I believe it.

Either way, while I still have some small issues with NFC in general, ISIS works perfectly.


Actually if you look at the battery, assuming it is an original Samsung part, the NFC antenna is on the battery itself. I don't think that you can fit a proper NFC antenna onto a SIM card. This was mentioned in the forum thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2471791

Cutting away the excess from the receiver exposes more of the antenna on the battery so that it can receive the signal from the NFC tag.
11th May 2014, 09:43 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Thumbs up
Hi guys, plz advise.
I am using a similar ravpower wireless reciever with the official s view case and have cut out the edges a lil bit for fitting purposes. But I am bit disaapointed with wireless charging. Firstly its really slow compared to usb 3 charging. 30mts 10% increase. Secondly, the heat generated seems not normal. The sview functions work very well and the wireless receiver detection is spot on.
I am wondering whether its the receiver issue or is it just this much that we can expect from this wireless charge technology.
Would it be anything better in case of the official s view wireless charge case or the official wireless back cover? Thnx
Last edited by 1981ts; 11th May 2014 at 09:56 AM.
11th May 2014, 12:15 PM |#11  
krelvinaz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mesa AZ
Thanks Meter: 604
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981ts

Firstly its really slow compared to usb 3 charging. 30mts 10% increase. Secondly, the heat generated seems not normal. .

Wireless will max out at around 640ma while the charging cable to AC will be around 1800ma. Wireless will always be slower.

Wireless will also generate heat that a wired charger won't.

So what you are seeing is normal.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes