[Q] Anything else I can try? Can't mount /cache, can't unlock bootloader, won't boot

8th January 2014, 03:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

44 posts
I had been using my tablet normally and set it aside for a while. When I went back to it, it was stuck at the boot splash screen that is black with the white Google text on it. I tried rebooting several times and it would return to this state.

I booted into fastboot mode and went to recovery mode. The following errors were displayed at the bottom of the screen:
E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Failed closing /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc (I/O error)

I tried doing "wipe data/factory reset". It says:
-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
... and then goes into many more errors regarding failures mount/open /cache

Thinking maybe the cache partition was bad, I went back to fastboot mode and issued the following command from my pc:
fastboot format cache
... but the command never returns (after an hour, it had not returned, so I cancelled)
The same happens if I try
fastboot format userdata
... it never returns.

I can't unlock the bootloader to attempt to flash a new image. I can issue command
fastboot oem unlock
and get the correct screen, but selecting unlock just locks up the tablet. I left it this way for a couple hours, no change.

So to summarize: I can access fastboot, I can access recovery, but I can't seem to affect any change that will recover the system.

I've exhausted everything I know to try. Any thoughts?

It's ironic because I hack on these all the time at work, but this was my personal unit that was stock and unrooted.
8th January 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 54

212 posts
Yours is not a common situation, but there have been a few reported just this last week. Unless someone knows of a solution, like why the bootloader hangs at unlocking or if it can be reflashed (not possible AFAIK without unlocking), your only option seems to be warranty service. Sorry.
8th January 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandae

Yours is not a common situation, but there have been a few reported just this last week. Unless someone knows of a solution, like why the bootloader hangs at unlocking or if it can be reflashed (not possible AFAIK without unlocking), your only option seems to be warranty service. Sorry.

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks. I wonder if a recent update has stressed the file system or ECCM.

Someone posted a way to test the ECCM chip via command line, but I can't find it. Do you recall?
8th January 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 54

212 posts
I've only heard of Android apps that test the eMMC's integrity, nothing that can be run from a PC.
9th January 2014, 05:18 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

25 posts
I had a similar problem and when I used to enter 'fastboot devices" I used to get '?????? fastboot'. and the bootloader used to freeze but recovery mode (TWRP) was fine.
I then realized that I wasn't using the USB cable that came with the Nexus 7. When I switched cables. It recognized the device using 'fastboot devices'. Then I just ran the .bat file in the factory image files. I hope this helps.
9th January 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #6  
Flag Jerz

70 posts
More
I have the exact same issue that just started as of Tuesday, January 7th. I feel like I've exhausted all options and continue to get the mount cache error. I secretly suspect the storage went bad on that very cold day in NYC. My old Nexus 7 was off at the time and still works but the new one might have been on in my backpack walking around.
9th January 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegZani

I have the exact same issue that just started as of Tuesday, January 7th. I feel like I've exhausted all options and continue to get the mount cache error. I secretly suspect the storage went bad on that very cold day in NYC. My old Nexus 7 was off at the time and still works but the new one might have been on in my backpack walking around.

I'm on the same boat as you, guys. what a coincidence, even on the same date, January 7th. I was browsing on chrome and it froze a second, rebooted and got stuck at the Google Logo. Official KitKat, not rooted.

Nothing works, wiping data via Recovery gives a tonne of "mount /x" errors and flashing through fastboot is impossible because it gets stuck trying to unlock the bootloader.

I, too, think it's a hardware issue, probably with the storage. The only difference is that I am in the very warm Venezuela, so I think the NYC cold wasn't the problem!

The sad thing is my uncle bought it for me in Italy a month back because prices here are ridiculous, so now it's going to be a bit of a problem to return it to Amazon.it

If any of you find a solution please post it!

Sorry for any misspellings.
10th January 2014, 01:38 AM   |  #8  
Flag Jerz

70 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febo00

I'm on the same boat as you, guys. what a coincidence, even on the same date, January 7th. I was browsing on chrome and it froze a second, rebooted and got stuck at the Google Logo. Official KitKat, not rooted.

Nothing works, wiping data via Recovery gives a tonne of "mount /x" errors and flashing through fastboot is impossible because it gets stuck trying to unlock the bootloader.

I, too, think it's a hardware issue, probably with the storage. The only difference is that I am in the very warm Venezuela, so I think the NYC cold wasn't the problem!

The sad thing is my uncle bought it for me in Italy a month back because prices here are ridiculous, so now it's going to be a bit of a problem to return it to Amazon.it

If any of you find a solution please post it!

Sorry for any misspellings.

I honestly don't think there is a solution. I just contacted ASUS support via their website and started a RMA warranty repair.
10th January 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #9  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 155

331 posts
Donate to Me
More
Can you take a picture with another phone or something of the errors?

Also, can you try to mount the partitions manually in recovery
or go into recovery with adb shell and try to mount the partitions manually.

Also, what recovery do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnsphotoart

I had been using my tablet normally and set it aside for a while. When I went back to it, it was stuck at the boot splash screen that is black with the white Google text on it. I tried rebooting several times and it would return to this state.

I booted into fastboot mode and went to recovery mode. The following errors were displayed at the bottom of the screen:
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

I tried doing "wipe data/factory reset". It says:
-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
... and then goes into many more errors regarding failures mount/open /cache

Thinking maybe the cache partition was bad, I went back to fastboot mode and issued the following command from my pc:
fastboot format cache
... but the command never returns (after an hour, it had not returned, so I cancelled)
The same happens if I try
fastboot format userdata
... it never returns.

I can't unlock the bootloader to attempt to flash a new image. I can issue command
fastboot oem unlock
and get the correct screen, but selecting unlock just locks up the tablet. I left it this way for a couple hours, no change.

So to summarize: I can access fastboot, I can access recovery, but I can't seem to affect any change that will recover the system.

I've exhausted everything I know to try. Any thoughts?

It's ironic because I hack on these all the time at work, but this was my personal unit that was stock and unrooted.

10th January 2014, 05:39 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
mine also
Mine developed this same problem on January 5th while watching a video. I just sent it off for warranty yesterday (Thursday). Was anyone using ART. I know I was

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread