FORUMS

New Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 Update Fixes Major Bugs

Senior Recognized Developer rovo89 has patched Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 to … more

Download Sony’s new AOSP-like concept for Xperia Z3

Over in our forums, Recognized Contributor Jozinek has posted a very … more

OnePlus 2 vs Moto X Style: Which is The Better Flagship?

Two big industry names have announced their newest flagship phones within the … more

Making Your Own Xposed Modules Is Easier Than You Think

Close to the heart of XDA is the Xposed Framework by Rovo89. Most of … more

[HOW TO] Disable OTA Update (G-Note 3) Notifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!

156 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
The user lordazoroth originally posted this method here in the T-Mobile SGSIII forum. However, I have confirmed that it works with the Note 3 (at least with the Verizon variant) with one small difference. Feel free to give us both a "THANKS" if this helped you out.

You can disable the OTA Update notification by following the steps below. Just be aware that there is a small change in STEP #3.

Solution:
Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ (may be /data/fota) and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear. (My phone rebooted and tried to install the update - this is the point where my Note 3 gave the update failed notification. I just rebooted the phone and went to STEP #2.)
Step 2. Disable otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
Step 4. Reboot

(NOTE: The difference in STEP #3 for the Galaxy Note 3 is that the [FotaClient.apk] is named [LocalFotaClient.apk] instead of just [FotaClient.apk]. All of the other steps are the same.

Continue running JB 4.3 and enjoy your Note 3 without that nagging update notification!
Last edited by Blaqhawk; 16th May 2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Typo
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaqhawk For This Useful Post: [ View ]

16th May 2014, 08:00 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 123

More
But the kitkat update is awesome... so you might want to reconsider doing this

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro
16th May 2014, 08:29 PM |#3  
Phila
Thanks Meter: 321

More
Wouldn't just freezing the "SDM" app do the trick? And possibly "FWUpgrade", although i heard that just SDM works
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lmike6453 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th May 2014, 02:30 AM |#4  
Flag Noblesville, IN
Thanks Meter: 187

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmike6453

Wouldn't just freezing the "SDM" app do the trick? And possibly "FWUpgrade", although i heard that just SDM works

You're right. Freezing just sdm would do the trick lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Grompy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st May 2014, 06:40 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grompy

You're right. Freezing just sdm would do the trick lol

Say I'm not using TiBu. Can I use root explore to change something with sdm or should I just do what was originally posted?

The Following User Says Thank You to TMFGO45 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st May 2014, 07:20 PM |#6  
Phila
Thanks Meter: 321

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMFGO45

Say I'm not using TiBu. Can I use root explore to change something with sdm or should I just do what was originally posted?

I personally use ROM Toolbox to do it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lmike6453 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st May 2014, 10:32 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I got the annoying OTA update today... I DON'T WANT TO UPDATE!!! Why can't they give us an option instead of forcing it down our throats?

Is there any way to disable the update WITHOUT ROOTING? I read everywhere you need ROOT ACCESS to delete the SDM.apk FILE and such. I can't delete it without root.

How can I get rid of the annoying update WITHOUT ROOTING or what is the easiest way to gain root without wiping out everything and starting over?
21st May 2014, 11:15 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
As of this morning...Verizon seems to be trying to "ram the update" onto your note 3

I was rooted and safestrapped on MJE and when I unplugged my phone from the charger this morning...I had a notice that the update failed to install.

I had previously downloaded, but removed the download.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk
22nd May 2014, 01:58 AM |#9  
Flag Bloomington, IL
Thanks Meter: 1,163

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boamuro

I got the annoying OTA update today... I DON'T WANT TO UPDATE!!! Why can't they give us an option instead of forcing it down our throats?

Is there any way to disable the update WITHOUT ROOTING? I read everywhere you need ROOT ACCESS to delete the SDM.apk FILE and such. I can't delete it without root.

How can I get rid of the annoying update WITHOUT ROOTING or what is the easiest way to gain root without wiping out everything and starting over?

rooting (with jb roms, for us vzw n3 owners) does not wipe anything at all. Kingo is easy. There's how-to threads and vids.

Edit: This is what I recommend. ..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2543386

Edit 2: no way to disable the ota update notification w/o root.
Last edited by LeftyGR; 22nd May 2014 at 02:06 AM.
22nd May 2014, 02:23 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR

rooting (with jb roms, for us vzw n3 owners) does not wipe anything at all. Kingo is easy. There's how-to threads and vids.

Edit: This is what I recommend. ..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2543386

Edit 2: no way to disable the ota update notification w/o root.

OMG!! I was able too root easily, but the stupid OTA update popped up and I accidentally hit the UPDATE button. Now it rebooted on its own and went into this RECOVERY MODE and it's trying to update... I removed the battery out right away... HOW CAN I CANCEL IT?! OMG! Somone help me please. It was going so well and I can't believe the stupid popup got me...

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Am I doomed??? OMG I hate you Verizon
22nd May 2014, 02:54 AM |#11  
Flag Bloomington, IL
Thanks Meter: 1,163

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boamuro

OMG!! I was able too root easily, but the stupid OTA update popped up and I accidentally hit the UPDATE button. Now it rebooted on its own and went into this RECOVERY MODE and it's trying to update... I removed the battery out right away... HOW CAN I CANCEL IT?! OMG! Somone help me please. It was going so well and I can't believe the stupid popup got me...

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Am I doomed??? OMG I hate you Verizon

No way of knowing how far it got. If it was able to get the bootloader nailed in...yes. Screwed. Welcome to kk. If not, whatever you do will wipe at this point.

Safest bet to try and see if you can retain jb is with odin...if it lets you. If it does, great. If it doesn't, you still need odin because you just interrupted a firmware update and probably just soft bricked your phone. So you'll need odin to put kk on your phone.

--

If niether of these things look good, they aren't. So try this first. Try booting to recovery. If you can, it's possible you just saved yourself from learning to use odin. Do a factory reset and reboot. See if it boots to jb. If it does, root asap. If not (it just hangs forever or loops), you're bricked. Try to odin jb. If it keeps failing, you're stuck with kk and you need to odin kk.

If you can't get to recovery and just hangs or loops, odin jb or kk. Whichever it lets you.

If it doesn't let you boot to recovery because it continues to upgrade, at this point let it. This is the ONLY possible scenario that you will keep anything.

Mind you, everything I just covered will never touch any files on external sd memory.

This is a lot to process. So take your time. Good luck!

Odin tutorials are in the general section.

<Note3>

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
disable, note 3, notification, ota, update
Previous Thread Next Thread