Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,010 Members 44,431 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

***How To ROOT 4.3 & NC4 OTA, Install Recovery & Roms - Verizon RETAIL Note 3***

Tip us?

az_biker
Old
(Last edited by az_biker; 15th July 2014 at 05:23 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2,201

DONATE TO ME
* * * What you do with your device is completely your choice and solely your responsibility! - If You READ These Instructions FIRST, THEN Follow Them, You Will Be Up And Running In No Time * * *

EVERYTHING You Need To Root, Install SafeStrap, Update SuperSU, Flash Custom 4.3 Roms, Flash In ODIN On 4.3 Jelly Bean RETAIL NOTE 3 ! ! !

To UPDATE from 4.3 JB to 4.4.2 KK (NC2 Leak) go to
How To Update From JB 4.3 To KK 4.4.2 On Verizon RETAIL NOTE

To Root, Install Safestrap, Flash Cust Rom AFTER taking Official NC4 OTA: Go To Bottom Of OP

This is a compilation of instructions that I used on my SM-N900V Verizon Note 3... This process was BY FAR the EASIEST I've ever used!
* * *Verified Knox 0x0* * * developer option (click 'BASE Version' in 'About Phone' 7 times to UNHIDE Developer Option) also verify UNKNOWN SOURCES is CHECKED & Verify Apps is Unchecked in system settings>security[/B][/COLOR][/I].

On PC, go to CONTROL PANEL > Install/Uninstall Programs > uninstall ALL Samsung drivers

Download & Install Samsung Drivers To Your PC

Samsung USB drivers (click “see all downloads”)

* * * ATTN: PRIOR to flashing a Rom built on MJE update, you should be running MJE (take OTA update or install MJE tar via Odin) then reroot via Kingo/Vroot, install Safestrap * * *

EASY Steps To Update To MJE: (Factory Stock)
- Download MJE tar file from Beanstown106's Firmware Collection Thread
- Flash MJE tar in Odin (for added safety, REMOVE sdcard) For DETAILED Odin instructions click HERE
- Reboot
- Go To Install Kingo (Google Kingo root 1.1.5 or 1.1.6 download) or Vroot (Google Vroot)

FOR ROOT PRIVILEGES- Install KINGO/Vroot
***Kingo 1.2 is having issues Rooting MJE Firmware, Google Kingo 1.1.5 or .6 OR see here, OR use Vroot***
I used the Kingo root app - links to Kingo are not currently allowed on XDA but it's very easy to search and find. It's just like a "one click" toolkit - meaning it's a no-brain operation. Download the app and follow the instructions. Currently Kingo & Vroot are the only known methods to root the MJ7/MJE builds for the Verizon Note 3 so it's one of these or no root for you. IF ROOT FAILS, KEEP TRYING (it took me 3 attempts)
TIP- make sure display timeout is set for 10 minutes & temporarily disable PC anti-virus (thanks RypeDub for the catch)
***If Kingo fails to root your device after several attempts: Try Vroot (some users reported success with Vroot after Kingo failed ROOT)

INSTALL SAFESTRAP RECOVERY
Once you're ROOTED head over here: [RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery & download the latest version of the APK. Open the Safestrap app in your app drawer and install the app, then open Safestrap and click "install recovery" in the app (The following directions are from Safestrap OP).

Safestrap 3.65 is last STABLE Version...Safestrap 3.71 is Beta Version (some issues have occurred) and primarily for users with 64GB SdCards... 3.72 is for KK ONLY

HOW TO UPGRADE SAFESTRAP
*To REVERT from newer version to older version, follow same steps swapping old file for new file*

-Push the APK to your sdcard (get latest SS.apk HERE)-THX Hashcode!
-Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
-OPEN your old Safestrap app and hit the "Uninstall Recovery" button
-THEN, open a "file explorer" (even TW "My Files" will work)
-Browse to where you pushed the New / old APK
-Click on it and install like a normal app (if install not successful, UNINSTALL old Safestrap app like any other app, THEN install new SS.apk)
-Once installed, open the SS APK
-Grant SU access
-THEN hit "Install Recovery" button
All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using

INSTALLING CHAINFIRE'S SUPERSU OVER KINGO SUPERSU
Next install a trusted, open source SuperSU app on your device since the Kingo root method is closed source (optional, but highly recommended). Download the latest SuperSU zip - instructions in Chainfire's XDA Thread (download to sd card or from PLAY).

Reboot your device (DO NOT REBOOT INTO RECOVERY), at the Safestrap splash screen - choose "Recovery"... Once in Safestrap, go to your stock rom slot by clicking "Boot Options" and ensuring it says "stock slot" in RED at the top of the screen. If it says anything other than stock, tap the stock slot button and click "activate" on the following page. Hit back to return to the Recovery main menu. Once confirmed you're on your stock slot, tap install and flash the new SuperSU zip (no wipes necessary). Once that's done, tap reboot system.

ROOT Privileges ONLY
If you ONLY want root privileges and NOT the recovery or the ability to flash ROMS, you can UNINSTALL Safestrap after flashing SuperSU, you will ONLY have root privileges: ***NO recovery and NO ability to flash ROMS*** After flashing SuperSU, reboot, choose "Continue" at splash screen, find Safestrap app in App Drawer and uninstall like any other app.

You're now completely done updating to MJE, Rooting your device, adding a stable Recovery & installing a trusted SuperSU application. Now, enjoy installing ROMs using Safestrap [SS]

***NOTE: When rebooting your device, you have to option to CONTINUE to your current ROM, or enter RECOVERY (Safestrap) after several seconds CONTINUE is the default action. If you are booting to your STOCK Slot you will see SAFESTRAP DISABLED this is NORMAL. When booting to slots 1-4 you will see SAFESTRAP ENABLED this is also NORMAL***

CREATING VIRTUAL ROMS SLOTS *NOT SUPPORTED IN SS 3.72 YET*
1. Reboot Device
2. Select Recovery at SS splash screen
3. Select Boot Options
4. Select one of the rom slots [1-4]
5. Adjust partition sizes if necessary [The average user can leave the partitions as is, if you are an app intensive user, increase DATA partition up to 4 gb MAX]
*NOTE: the larger you make the partitions of a Rom Slot, the less room you will have for remaining slots)
6. Select the Create ROM button (takes a minute)
7. Once the ROM slot has been created, browse back to BOOT OPTIONS.
8. Ensure the Rom Slot you want to flash is highlighted in GREEN at top of screen
9. Select Install
10. Browse to the ROM .zip you downloaded
11. Reboot

SWITCHING BETWEEN ROM SLOTS
1. Reboot Device
2. Select Recovery at SS splash screen
3. Select Boot Options
4. Select the Rom Slot you want to activate
5. Select Activate
6. Confirm the Rom Slot you just Activated shows at top of screen (GREEN for slots 1-4, RED for Stock Slot)
7. Browse back to Menu
8. Select Reboot

How To Flash Daily Driver Into Stock Rom Slot
1. Back up Stock Rom in Stock Slot to sdcard (optional)
2. Restore back up Stock Rom to open ROM slot 1-4 (optional)
3. Boot from restored slot to ensure functionality (optional)
4. Factory Reset for a clean install OR if upgrading same Rom you can DIRTY FLASH by clicking ADVANCED WIPE: check dalvik, cache, system (remember no dev support for "dirty flash")
5. Flash/Restore Daily Driver Rom to Stock Slot (Read the warning about flashing onto Stock Rom Slot, then forget about it

To Have Access To ALL Your Device Storage (FREE UP STORAGE) Go To Step 6

6. Delete un-used ROM slots 1-4 (you can only delete a ROM from the activated slot, the empty, unactivated slot remains)
7. Boot into Rom on Stock slot
8. Enjoy.This will give you access to ALL of your device's storage capacity (remember when booting into stock slot, Safestrap will say DISABLED, this is normal)

A Few Things To Consider When Using Multiple Rom Slots:
You can flash roms in slots 1-4 and stock slot. Activate whichever slot you'd like to boot to the next time, and your specific rom to upgrade, test, whatever comes up at boot. Ready to switch back to another rom, activate THAT rom slot, reboot to your next rom...This is the TRUE MAGIC of Safestrap; Daily driver in stock slot, test Rom in slot 1, Stock Rom in slot 2, boot into ANY rom simply by activating THAT rom slot!

Realize each rom slot has a max limit for data partition and system partition. If you are an app intensive user or like seeing an accurate reading of your internal and ext storage, I'd reco putting your daily driver on the stock slot (backup stock rom, keep on sdcard, flash daily driver in stock slot)...

If you like running multiple roms (skip step 5 above), when you activate a rom on slots 1-4, your int and ext memory will NOT read accurately, and you will be limited on how much storage you have on each slot. Use File Manager (ES File Explorer) if you want/need an accurate reading of remaining storage

Flashing your DD on the stock slot gives you access to ALL the int and ext memory, and ALL memory is properly reported.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

IF YOU ARE ON NC4 (Official VZW OTA) Follow The Below Instructions
(courtesy of barrackobama)
WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE IS COMPLETELY YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY

Step- 1 - Root Device with TowelRoot courtesy of geohot

Step- 2 - Install Busybox from play store and install busybox itself

Step- 3 - Install Safestrap 3.75 courtesy of Hashcode

Step- 4 - Boot into Safestrap, Select Stock Slot

Step- 5 - Wipe Data, Use Factory Reset Slider

Step- 6 - Install The Latest BajaROM
courtesy of Bajasur

Step- 7 - Reboot into Download mode From Safestrap

Step- 8 - Unzip & Install In ODIN This NC2 Kernel .tar
courtesy of Beanstown106

XDA user barrackOBAMA confirmed these instructions work!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Remember to SUPPORT THE DEVS who allow you to enjoy your ROOTED, Custom N3!

Please click THANKS and RATE this thread if it was helpful! Thanks!
The Following 81 Users Say Thank You to az_biker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Brandonrz
Old
Thanks Meter 425

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_biker View Post
I couldn't find any links or threads with ALL the instructions in one place (ROOT, Safe Strap, Rom), so I compiled a list of instructions that I used on my SM-N900V Verizon MJ7 Note 3... This process was BY FAR the EASIEST I've ever used! * * *Verified Knox 0x0* * *

*** this is NOT my original work...(credit to DutchDogg54 and others)... IF any of this is YOUR work please let me know so I can give credit where it is due. Again, this is NOT my original work***

I used the Kingo root app - links to Kingo are not currently allowed on XDA but it's very easy to search and find. It's just like a "one click" toolkit - meaning it's a no-brain operation. Download the app and follow the instructions. Currently Kingo & vroot are the only known methods to root the MJ7 build for the Verizon Note 3 so it's one of these or no root for you. IF ROOT FAILS, KEEP TRYING (it took me 3 attempts)

Once that's done head over here: [RECOVERY LOCKED/MI9,MJ7] Safestrap Recovery v3.65 [2013-11-13 STABLE] & download the latest version of the APK then install it. Open the Safestrap app in your app drawer and install the recovery by clicking "install" within the app.

Next it's advisable to get a trusted & open source Super User app on your device after using the closed source Kingo root method (optional, but highly recommended). Download the latest SuperSU zip - Google search latest version. .

Reboot the phone and you'll come to the SafeStrap splash screen - choose "recovery." Once here, go to your stock rom slot by clicking "Boot Options" and ensuring it says "stock slot" in red at the top of the screen. If it says anything other than stock, tap the stock slot button and click "activate" on the following page. Hit back to return to the recoveries main menu. Once confirmed you're on your stock slot, tap install and flash the SuperSU zip (no wipes necessary). Once that's done, tap reboot system.

You're now completely done updating to MJ7, Rooting your device, adding a stable Recovery & installing a trusted Superuser application. Now, enjoy To install ROMs, you do that using SafeStrap [SS]

1. Reboot phone
2. Click Recovery Button when SS splash screen pops up
3. Click one of the rom slots [1-4] then click the Create ROM button [I left default values to test out the ROM. People say that its fine for most, but adjust date portion of partition if you use lots of apps]
4. Once the ROM slot has been created, browse back into the previously created slot.
5. Click Activate
6. Then click Install
7. Browse to whatever ROM .zip you download
8. Done

How to change your primary Stock ROM:

I made Beans my primary ROM.

1. Backed up Stock Slot
2. Restored back up to open ROM slot
3. Booted from restored slot to ensure functionality
4. Backed up Beans ROM
5. Restored Beans backup to Stock slot
6. Deleted un-used ROM slots [Stock and Beans in ROM slot 1-4] You can only delete a ROM from the slot, the empty slot remains
7. Booted into Beans on Stock slot
8. Re-installed SS
9. Enjoy.

Here Bean's Rom:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2523159

Here's SafeStrap:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2517610

Quick Google search will get you Kingo's app and the latest SuperSU...

SUPPORT THE DEVS! BEANSTOWN106 for ROM, and HASHCODE for Safe Strap. Also THANK DutchDogg54 for these instructions!
Why didn't you include hyperdrive? And the other 2 roms? And nice thread.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
No huge sig swag.
Creator of ~NEON ROM~
I like android.
NOTE 3 TEAM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brandonrz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

az_biker
Old
Thanks Meter 2,201

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrz View Post
Why didn't you include hyperdrive? And the other 2 roms? And nice thread.

I only included what I personally tried so I could say I KNOW IT WORKS. But you are right, I should add the other threads to the ROMs for others to try. Thanks for the correction!

Brandonrz
Old
Thanks Meter 425

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_biker View Post
I only included what I personally tried so I could say I KNOW IT WORKS. But you are right, I should add the other threads to the ROMs for others to try. Thanks for the correction!
Lol, np. I'm pretty sure you would know if any of those roms don't work. The genral section, yes I ment general, would be blown up with nubs saying. "Halp plz, phone no turn on." Haha

No huge sig swag.
Creator of ~NEON ROM~
I like android.
NOTE 3 TEAM.

eastside770
Old
Thanks Meter 3
ive been trying to root with kingo for about 3 days and still no root help me please!!
Samsung Galaxy Note III "4.3" 64 GB

aaa3aaa
Old
Thanks Meter 0
if the SS have password before launch would be better~~

az_biker
Old
Thanks Meter 2,201

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside770 View Post
ive been trying to root with kingo for about 3 days and still no root help me please!!
-I went to kingo site (Google it, no kingo links allowed on XDA) and downloaded their program (to put on your desktop)

- install kingo to your pc

-follow instructions in kingo app

-make sure you have (unknown sources) checked in SECURITY

-make sure you have (usb debugging) checked in DEVELOPER OPTIONS

-I set my display to not time out for 10 minutes after I failed to root the first three times with kingo thinking maybe the screen timing out was causing an issue, the fourth time was flawless (not sure if the display timeout was it or not)..

try these steps, let me know how it works out!

eastside770
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I really think it's my PC. It won't install all of the drivers. I plug it up and kingo tries to connect does sometimes and sometimes it don't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

az_biker
Old
Thanks Meter 2,201

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside770 View Post
I really think it's my PC. It won't install all of the drivers. I plug it up and kingo tries to connect does sometimes and sometimes it don't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Try going to Control Panel > Pograms find all Samsumg drivers and uninstall them, and try Kingo again.

If that still doesn't work, read through THIS forum:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2484231

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to az_biker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eastside770
Old
Thanks Meter 3
i can never get samsung_android driver to install.. and i dunno why

Tags
kingo, mje, note 3 root, root install recovery flash roms verizon note 3, safestrap