Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Location Working GPS (via BT) on the Gear (with null_07 Rom and up)

OP appelflap

14th November 2013, 12:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 808

4,088 posts
(Only for null_07+ rom, because we need access to the hidden Android settings. Maybe its possible to unhide these settings on the firmware rom with root. In that case it should also work)

We have a go

1. Install ExtGPS on your Note (or other device you've coupled the Gear with).
Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tgpsforandroid
Launch it
(EDIT: I found a better, more stable altenative: ShareGPS (Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bunch.shareGPS )

2. On the Gear install BlueGPS4Droid. Download it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/blue...id/?source=dlp
( Optional: install Google Maps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.apps.maps
You can use any other map app or navigation app if you like. BlueGPS4Droid will act as a GPS provider for any other GPS-enabled app you use )

Now (still on the Gear) go to the Android Settings menu (only available on the null_07+ roms) and go to Developer Options
In the Developer Options menu enalbe Allow mock locations

Launch BlueGPS4Droid: select Choose Bluetooth GPS and connect to your phone. Then start the GPS (enable Start/Stop GPS)

( Launch Google Maps: et voila... there you are little blue dot (provided you have a fix on your phone with ExtGPS) )

--------------
I tested more GPS bluetooth servers and GPS bluetooth providers on the Gear and Note, but these two apps seem to be the only apps that work.

Note
You need of course a working internet connection on the Gear to download maps for the map or navigation app you're using. The Null_ rom supports Bluetooth tethering for this (go check it out). If your provider has blocked BT tethering on your phone use a third party app. PDANet+ works great. Search the forum how to make it work. This will also work on other roms.
If you don't have a internet connection working just mess around and try to transfer offline maps from your phone to the gear. (Don't know how, but it should be possible for some apps. Just try)
Last edited by appelflap; 16th November 2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: added a note
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to appelflap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2013, 12:34 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 71

488 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelflap

(Only for null_07+ rom, because we need access to the hidden Android settings. Maybe its possible to unhide these settings on the firmware rom with root. In that case it should also work)

We have a go

1. Install ExtGPS on your Note (or other device you've coupled the Gear with).
Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tgpsforandroid
Launch it

2. On the Gear install BlueGPS4Droid. Download it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/blue...id/?source=dlp
( Optional: install Google Maps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.apps.maps
You can use any other map app or navigation app if you like. BlueGPS4Droid will act as a GPS provider for any other GPS-enabled app you use )

Now (still on the Gear) go to the Android Settings menu (only available on the null_07+ roms) and go to Developer Options
In the Developer Options menu enalbe Allow mock locations

Launch BlueGPS4Droid: select Choose Bluetooth GPS and connect to your phone. Then start the GPS (enable Start/Stop GPS)

( Launch Google Maps: et voila... there you are little blue dot (provided you have a fix on your phone with ExtGPS) )

--------------
I tested more GPS bluetooth servers and GPS bluetooth providers on the Gear and Note, but these two apps seem to be the only apps that work.

no f*** way! you are a genius!
gonna try it out now.

any chance that you could try offline navigations?
14th November 2013, 12:43 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Utrecht

4,088 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdlejade

no f*** way! you are a genius!
gonna try it out now.

any chance that you could try offline navigations?

Should be no problem. Should work the same as on your phone. You can even download some offline maps in Google Maps. Gear has plenty of room for that. We only have an additional working GPS now via Bluetooth.
14th November 2013, 12:45 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Sydney, AUS
Thanks Meter: 3,952

3,153 posts
More
Thinking out of the square ! Love it bravo.. Great work.
The Following User Says Thank You to fOmey For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2013, 12:50 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 71

488 posts
i already tried gps tethering apps, and none of them worked. this one works flawlessly. i just wish there was a way to incorporate this into custom rom out of the box, so we dont have to install anything.

either way, few days ago i tried sygic from play store. it's unable to download files from google play once you start the app, so i copied the files from my phone to it. i used to get a black screen and then the app was closing. maybe i can try older version or something.

btw - i really recommend caching your area map. works so much smoother then.

just make sure the area you want to cache is visible, and then type into search box OK MAPS.
14th November 2013, 01:05 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 9

151 posts
More
Amazing staff!! its working super well!!

Any ideas how to sign in as existing user to have all saved places available?
I only get the new account option whatever i press..
Did you manage to install google play on gear and login with existing google account so to avoid Wondershare sideloading? or dropbox installation? ...

thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Did you manage to install google play on gear and login with existing google account so to avoid Wondershare sideloading? or dropbox installation? ...

thanks!
14th November 2013, 04:46 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

243 posts
More
... and the bluetooth tethering is necessary too to download the map
14th November 2013, 04:48 PM   |  #8  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Utrecht

4,088 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdlejade

i already tried gps tethering apps, and none of them worked. this one works flawlessly. i just wish there was a way to incorporate this into custom rom out of the box, so we dont have to install anything.

either way, few days ago i tried sygic from play store. it's unable to download files from google play once you start the app, so i copied the files from my phone to it. i used to get a black screen and then the app was closing. maybe i can try older version or something.

btw - i really recommend caching your area map. works so much smoother then.

just make sure the area you want to cache is visible, and then type into search box OK MAPS.

Few days ago we didn't have BT tethering. The VPN trick didn't work for all connections. Did you try sygic maps with BT tethering? Should work
14th November 2013, 04:50 PM   |  #9  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Utrecht

4,088 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiker

... and the bluetooth tethering is necessary too to download the map

Right. Yep so the rom is mandatory. Unless you can transfer the maps
14th November 2013, 04:53 PM   |  #10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Utrecht

4,088 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfaitas

thanks!

Try playing around with the gapps of CM. Look in the zip. Copy the files to the appropriate locations. Maybe you should install the play services from the play store too. Eventually Google Login should work

Let us know!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread