5,814,981 Members 41,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Would you buy the Gear again or go with something else?
Yes, I like/love my Gear and would buy it again. 22 81.48%
No, I'd buy another smartwatch and not the Gear. 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

[Discussion] Would you buy the Galaxy Gear again or buy another smartwatch?

Tip us?

JoeFCaputo113
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,722

DONATE TO ME
Default [Discussion] Would you buy the Galaxy Gear again or buy another smartwatch?

Those of you that purchased the Gear (whether recently, or right around launch).... would you buy the Gear all over again if you had the chance, or would you buy a different smartwatch (Sony, Pebble, etc.)? Also, would you recommend it to a friend that was looking to buy a smartwatch? Just wondering, so discuss!
Sprint Galaxy S3 Retired
Sprint Galaxy S4 Retired

Sprint Galaxy S5
ROM: MOAR v2
Kernel: Stock NE5 Kernel with some tweaks
Theme: Velur (Nova icon pack)
Modem: NE5
Apps I NEED: TiBu, Google Now, Beautiful Widgets, Greenify (Donate), Xposed, 8sms, NiLS/NiLS FP

Samsung Gear Live
Stock Everything

Previously Joe0113

Awesome Collection of Android Apps from XDA Developers!
Collection of Apps for Android Wear (Alphabetized and Categorized)!

NiHaoMike
Old
Thanks Meter 6
At $300, no. At $150, yes.
iOS: small selection of expensive devices, unfriendly to small developers and expert users
Android: wide selection of devices, very friendly to all developers and all users

Take your pick.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiHaoMike For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fOmey
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,934
Very good question, $300 for a watch is cheap for me.. so pricing is such a big deal.

I would have to see some new worth wild features to be brought to the table to justify the price...

HELPFUL POST? HIT THANKS !

OR BETTER YET

BUY ME A BEER OR TWO ?

GTA V FORUM :: MODS, GLITCHES & BOOSTING SERVICES

JoeFCaputo113
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,722

DONATE TO ME
I'm saying... if you could go back in time to when you purchased the Gear, would you still chose the Gear knowing what you know now, or would you buy a different one (Sony, Pebble, etc.)?
Sprint Galaxy S3 Retired
Sprint Galaxy S4 Retired

Sprint Galaxy S5
ROM: MOAR v2
Kernel: Stock NE5 Kernel with some tweaks
Theme: Velur (Nova icon pack)
Modem: NE5
Apps I NEED: TiBu, Google Now, Beautiful Widgets, Greenify (Donate), Xposed, 8sms, NiLS/NiLS FP

Samsung Gear Live
Stock Everything

Previously Joe0113

Awesome Collection of Android Apps from XDA Developers!
Collection of Apps for Android Wear (Alphabetized and Categorized)!

Milimbar
Old
Thanks Meter 88
At $150, i would buy it again, and again, and again..
At $300, I would have a tough decision between the Gear and a Toq/Neptune.

Either way I am happy with my Gear.

hurdlejade
Old
Thanks Meter 67
if i could not put null rom on it, i would not buy it again. stock experience is terrible imho, and there is no real competitor on the market right now..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hurdlejade For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jkassay
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I have the Galaxy Gear, the Pebble, the Martian, the metawatch and the Sony 2. I have played with all of them for a while now. Although each has its good points, I prefer the Galaxy Gear. Price wasn't an issue for me, I wanted the best experience. The Gear has been the best for Bluetooth range, ability to reconnect after loosing a connection and features. It just works well period. Of course I will try the iwatch and the Gear 2 when they come out. For now I prefer the Galaxy Gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkassay For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

inmnbob
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Nope. Doesn't do enough

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

highlordkram
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Clock Would buy again!

I bought the Gear and the Note 3 for $300 each and am still very happy with both. I run it stock and sideload some apps for fun, like MX Player and Apollo, but the stock apps work well for me. I think Samsung should have had out more apps and better apps by now, but I know that will come when the Gear 2 is out and the SDK. People in the wild do not have issues with the reviews and everyone just thinks it is really cool that i show what it does.

carajean
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Yes at $150. I was already in the market for a non-smartwatch that would have set me back $500. So when bestbuy had this on sale I jumped saved me a bunch of money.....for now.

Even though I dont have a samsung device it does enough for me right now. Its stylish and doesnt look too bad.

Like someone else said the price doesnt really matter when compared to other watches out there.

Now as for other watches I am woman and none of the other smart watches appealed to me as the rose gold color samsung has. The Iwatch when it comes out MIGHT appeal to me but I doubt it. I think men have a easier time as far as looks go in the smartwatch department.