Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] after installing android SDK and rooting Nexus File transfer stops working

Tip us?

johnnyninja
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] after installing android SDK and rooting Nexus File transfer stops working

I've never had a problem with android file transfer up till I rooted today. My wife has a stock Nexus 7 and I can plug her Nexus into my computer and the file transfer app will start. I have usb debugging turned on and the usb connection on my tablet is set to Media device.

Now as I'm typing this my Nexus has been connect to my mac for about an hour. I just went to the USB settings to make sure I had Media device selected and the file transfer window popped up out of nowhere. I killed it and tried again and it won't come up. Maybe in an hour or so if it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Very strange behavior.

sfhub
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,836
Disable USB debugging.

Unplug/plug in your nexus.

The USB IDs change for some reason when you have USB debugging turned on and the MTP device isn't recognized as such. PTP (camera) mode continues to work for both cases though.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s

johnnyninja
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the suggestion but It still fails. I disabled debugging and still can't connect. Switching USB modes didn't help either.

xnifex
Old
Thanks Meter 165
If that doesn't work uninstall the adb driver & then plug your tablet back in so it will reinstall
Samsung e315 > HTC MDA > HTC Kaiser > HTC Touch Pro 2 > HTC HD2 > HTC Sensation > Nexus 4

sfhub
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,836
My next suggestion would to reboot the tablet with USB debugging turned off.

If that doesn't work, my next suggestion would be to delete the existing drivers and force reinstall.

All with USB debugging turned off.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s

snipe2nite
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyninja View Post
I've never had a problem with android file transfer up till I rooted today. My wife has a stock Nexus 7 and I can plug her Nexus into my computer and the file transfer app will start. I have usb debugging turned on and the usb connection on my tablet is set to Media device.

Now as I'm typing this my Nexus has been connect to my mac for about an hour. I just went to the USB settings to make sure I had Media device selected and the file transfer window popped up out of nowhere. I killed it and tried again and it won't come up. Maybe in an hour or so if it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Very strange behavior.
Make sure after you plug in your device you're looking at your tab and click OK on the pop up........

Sent from my Nexus 7

johnnyninja
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for all the suggestions. It's working now. I was just about ready to delete the driver and the tablet started to be recognized consistently. I was in the settings screen and toggled debugging on and off while plugging in the tablet. I noticed the info bar at the top alternating between showing "debugging" and "media device" and I selected each one a couple of times when they came up. I think that it finally worked through the ID confusion that was mentions. I'll follow the the rest of the instructions if the problem comes back.

Thanks again.

johnnyninja
Old
(Last edited by johnnyninja; 2nd August 2013 at 03:11 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It's acting up again so I'm going to try deleting the drivers. I thought I knew what to do but I can't find any information. What's the procedure to delete the driver? I'm running os x lion

brkshr
Old
Thanks Meter 87
I've tried every suggestion in all of these threads so far & nothing worked. Even after I deleted the ADB drivers, windows 7 would automatically reinstall them. When I tried to update the drivers, win7 said they already had the best drivers (ADB).

Here's what worked for me:

I had to turn off USB debugging, delete the ADB drivers in Device Manager, then reboot the device while it's still plugged in. Windows recognized the device as an MTP device & installed the drivers before it even fully booted.
Phone: Nexus 5 ROM: Stock Kernel: Stock
Tablet: Nexus 7 2013 ROM: Stock Kernel: Stock

johnnyninja
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I'm not sure how I finally resolved the problem on my mac. I toggled debugging on and off and rebooted a couple of times. That may have done it. I also ran the adb script in the SDK platform-tools folder. I don't know what that script does exactly but possibly it reinitialized the driver and ID.

Anyway, hopefully these workflows will work for others.