Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] after installing android SDK and rooting Nexus File transfer stops working

OP johnnyninja

2nd August 2013, 03:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

20 posts
I've never had a problem with android file transfer up till I rooted today. My wife has a stock Nexus 7 and I can plug her Nexus into my computer and the file transfer app will start. I have usb debugging turned on and the usb connection on my tablet is set to Media device.

Now as I'm typing this my Nexus has been connect to my mac for about an hour. I just went to the USB settings to make sure I had Media device selected and the file transfer window popped up out of nowhere. I killed it and tried again and it won't come up. Maybe in an hour or so if it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Very strange behavior.
2nd August 2013, 03:23 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,854

4,757 posts
Disable USB debugging.

Unplug/plug in your nexus.

The USB IDs change for some reason when you have USB debugging turned on and the MTP device isn't recognized as such. PTP (camera) mode continues to work for both cases though.
2nd August 2013, 03:34 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Thanks for the suggestion but It still fails. I disabled debugging and still can't connect. Switching USB modes didn't help either.
2nd August 2013, 03:36 AM   |  #4  
Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 168

1,655 posts
More
If that doesn't work uninstall the adb driver & then plug your tablet back in so it will reinstall
2nd August 2013, 03:37 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,854

4,757 posts
My next suggestion would to reboot the tablet with USB debugging turned off.

If that doesn't work, my next suggestion would be to delete the existing drivers and force reinstall.

All with USB debugging turned off.
2nd August 2013, 03:41 AM   |  #6  
NorCal, Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 105

331 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyninja

I've never had a problem with android file transfer up till I rooted today. My wife has a stock Nexus 7 and I can plug her Nexus into my computer and the file transfer app will start. I have usb debugging turned on and the usb connection on my tablet is set to Media device.

Now as I'm typing this my Nexus has been connect to my mac for about an hour. I just went to the USB settings to make sure I had Media device selected and the file transfer window popped up out of nowhere. I killed it and tried again and it won't come up. Maybe in an hour or so if it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Very strange behavior.

Make sure after you plug in your device you're looking at your tab and click OK on the pop up........

Sent from my Nexus 7
2nd August 2013, 03:47 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. It's working now. I was just about ready to delete the driver and the tablet started to be recognized consistently. I was in the settings screen and toggled debugging on and off while plugging in the tablet. I noticed the info bar at the top alternating between showing "debugging" and "media device" and I selected each one a couple of times when they came up. I think that it finally worked through the ID confusion that was mentions. I'll follow the the rest of the instructions if the problem comes back.

Thanks again.
2nd August 2013, 04:04 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
It's acting up again so I'm going to try deleting the drivers. I thought I knew what to do but I can't find any information. What's the procedure to delete the driver? I'm running os x lion
Last edited by johnnyninja; 2nd August 2013 at 04:11 AM.
2nd August 2013, 09:11 PM   |  #9  
Flag Fresno
Thanks Meter: 87

171 posts
More
I've tried every suggestion in all of these threads so far & nothing worked. Even after I deleted the ADB drivers, windows 7 would automatically reinstall them. When I tried to update the drivers, win7 said they already had the best drivers (ADB).

Here's what worked for me:

I had to turn off USB debugging, delete the ADB drivers in Device Manager, then reboot the device while it's still plugged in. Windows recognized the device as an MTP device & installed the drivers before it even fully booted.
3rd August 2013, 02:37 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
I'm not sure how I finally resolved the problem on my mac. I toggled debugging on and off and rebooted a couple of times. That may have done it. I also ran the adb script in the SDK platform-tools folder. I don't know what that script does exactly but possibly it reinitialized the driver and ID.

Anyway, hopefully these workflows will work for others.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread