Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Infinite battery loop

OP cirerita

18th March 2014, 02:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
The phone seems to be stuck in an infinite battery loop.

1) With the battery in, not using the charger.
It first boots into a grey battery for a couple of seconds and then it gets to a green charging battery. I can hear a short vibration, and it boots again into the grey battery and then into the green one. The phone is stuck into that loop until the battery drains.

2) With the battery in and the USB cable plugged in.
The phone boots into the grey battery and then into the green one. It stays there forever. No vibration sound and no rebooting. It keeps charging until hitting the 100% message.

Now, a few days ago I was able to hold the power button down and the phone would reboot normally. I could use the phone for a few hours until, all of a sudden, it would turn off and boot again into the battery loop. Holding the power button and rebooting normally would ONLY work with the USB cable in. If I unplugged the USB cable, the phone would be stuck in the battery loop.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that when I managed to reboot normally and pressed the power button, the phone would ask me if I wanted to restart, and a couple of seconds after that it would reboot into the battery loop.

Now holding the power button down with the USB cable in won't do the trick anymore. It is as if the power button is disabled or something.

Is there a fix for this? If I hold the volume button down I can get to the download mode (Odin Mode). THe info I get is as follows:
Product name: SGH-i777
Custom Binary Download: Yes (1 counts)
Current Binary: Samsung Official

The only way to get out of the download mode is by removing the battery.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

thanks!
18th March 2014, 12:18 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Looks like the culprit is the power button.

I flashed the newest Samsung firmware using Odin in download mode, and I could reboot normally after flashing. I'm using Auto Screen On/Off to wake up the phone, and it does a good job. The Power Off Button apps didn't seem to work, though.

Thing is, if I power off the phone or restart it, it goes into the battery loop again, and the only way to reboot normally that I know is by flashing the stock firmware again.

Is there any easier, faster way to reboot normally with a broken power button?

thanks!
18th March 2014, 01:11 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 2,303

1,302 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirerita

Is there any easier, faster way to reboot normally with a broken power button?

You could try this (it's another power button app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.painless.pc). I've used it in the past with great success.

If it doesn't work for you you're currently not rooted - I know your stats show you've downloaded a custom binary, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Post back if you do, and also give us more information regarding which rom you're on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th March 2014, 03:48 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Audio
Thanks, that app is really useful.

I used a custom rom a while ago but then I switched back to stock. I'm using the latest one from Kies (4.1.2, I think to recall). I use Framaroot to root the phone so I can use some apps I like.

Phone still reboots randomly. Maybe I need to clean the cache. Is there an app for doing that while running Android?

Alternatively, is there a kernel/rom that allows me to reboot normally, bypassing the battery loop? The Odin download mode takes too long because I have to flash the stock firmware, and the stock Recovery mode is useless to me because my power button is broken.

IS it possible to access Recovery mode with a broken power button?

thanks!
Last edited by cirerita; 18th March 2014 at 04:27 PM.
18th March 2014, 04:34 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 2,303

1,302 posts
More
Sure, but the app I linked allows you to boot to recovery also.

A good custom kernel for a rooted 4.1.2 would be AJK 4.9, the No Swap version I believe. You'd be better off reading the op in the AJK thread.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th March 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Thanks, I'll take a good look at the AJK thread. Is it any better than the Siyah kernel?

Problem is, if the phone reboots randomly, then I'm stuck in the battery loop again and I need to flash the stock firmware yet again to be able to reboot normally and bypass the battery loop. I would need some sort of custom boot which I could access pressing the volume button, and which would allow me to reboot bypassing the battery loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy

Sure, but the app I linked allows you to boot to recovery also.

A good custom kernel for a rooted 4.1.2 would be AJK 4.9, the No Swap version I believe. You'd be better off reading the op in the AJK thread.

18th March 2014, 09:34 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Just flashed AJK 4.9 and no more random rebootings as of now... Plus, if I reboot manually, it does not get into the dreaded battery loop. So far so good. Thanks a lot for the tip.
19th March 2014, 02:42 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 208

714 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirerita

Thanks, I'll take a good look at the AJK thread. Is it any better than the Siyah kernel?

Problem is, if the phone reboots randomly, then I'm stuck in the battery loop again and I need to flash the stock firmware yet again to be able to reboot normally and bypass the battery loop. I would need some sort of custom boot which I could access pressing the volume button, and which would allow me to reboot bypassing the battery loop.

AJK's Kernel is based off Siyah.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread