Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,957 Members 54,457 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LiquidSmooth v3.0 Beta

Tip us?

redadz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default LiquidSmooth v3.0 Beta

I'm running LiquidSmooth v3.0 Beta (LS-KK-v3.0-2014-02-13-dlx) on my Verizon DNA and I'm pretty happy with it. Big thanks to deadman96385, santod040, and anyone else who contributed to this project!

This is the first custom ROM I've run as a "daily driver" on my DNA after ~16 months on the stock ROM, so most of my impressions are in comparison with the most recent stock HTC software. I briefly tried CyanFox but switched back to stock. I also tried the "HTC One *STOCK* ROM Port" (DLX_WL_K442_SENSE55_MR_4.19.401.8) but couldn't get it to boot; actually flashing it messed up my recovery as well. I suspect maybe my download was corrupted since other people reported success with that ROM.

Back to LiquidSmooth:

- Perceived performance is generally pretty solid. It's mostly very smooth, living up to its name.
- I do get the occasional app crash (FC); haven't noticed a pattern yet. It's not frequent enough to bother me much.
- A few times I have had the phone become unresponsive when opening the recent apps view or when trying to unlock from the lock screen. But this hasn't happened in a few days. Could be the freezing was related to one of the features I tried and later disabled (see below), or just due to the ROM "settling in" (populating caches, etc.)
- Love KitKat and the add-on features:
- I'm using the "pie control" for quick access to apps, quick screen off, menu access, etc.
- I tried HALO and couldn't really figure it out / didn't find it useful.
- I like the idea of Active Display but it didn't work that well in combination with the way I use the lock screen, so I turned it off and use the lock screen's built-in active display features instead.
- I'm using the default Google Now launcher for the moment. I like the easy access to voice search and google now. Don't like that it doesn't have multi-touch for dragging icons between home screens.

I think the battery is draining faster than with the stock ROM, though it's hard to say because I've also been using the phone a lot more actively while I get it set up and configured the way I want. It may be that the active display feature of the lockscreen is using more power?

People in the development forum mention an over-the-air (OTA) update mechanism; I haven't been able to find that yet.

There's a new version posted called 03-05-14; I haven't tried that version yet.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with this ROM and imagine I'll stick with it for a while. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a clean, fast, stable ROM, and in particular to anyone freshly rooted and looking for a solid ROM to try out KitKat and get a lot of great new features.

(noteómaybe it would have made more sense to put this directly in the existing LiquidSmooth development thread, but I don't have permission to post there. And I'm not developing the ROM, just using it.)

Thanks again! Great ROM.

Yehudah
Old
Thanks Meter 33
How much did they pay you? LOL

I tried it as well as all of the other KK AOSP ROMS. I really like AOSP.

I was on stock until viperDNA 2.0 came out, then I decided to S=OFF/ROOT/etc... and plugged Viperware in. It was awesome. Not an issue ever. So I wanted to give 3.0 a try, after trying every ROM out there (actually it kinda became like crack to me LOL).

So far after several days, it's 5x5, not an issue at all. On my phone, only the Viperware works as advertised.

That's not to say that Viperware doesn't have its issues, but I just haven't seen any yet. As I said I really like AOSP, but because Viperware uses Aroma installer, I can delete almost everything - which gives it a kind of AOSPishy look/feel.

My sig hits it; these developers (ALL of them) are amazing and do all of this for US on their own time for FREE. If I were a kagillionaire, I'd employ you ALL.
VZW HTC ONE - ROM Flashing Addiction
Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T - Pacman 4.4.4

There are guys on this site that always go the extra mile. Take a second to thank them, they do it because the want to, not because the have to.

redadz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Hah! Thanks Yehuda. I started this thread because I wish there were more ROM reviews here on xda, since I don't really have time to try out every ROM. I appreciate your review of ViperDNA; maybe I'll try that next.

Update on LiquidSmooth: after a week or so I found that it wasn't as clean as I originally thought and went back to (rooted) stock for a while.