Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Storage Samsung galaxy S3 OTG for USB 3. hard drives

OP Maazyazdani

11th October 2012, 05:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi there,

I have a samsung galaxy S3 (rooted) and have recently purchased OTG cable. The problem is that when I connect s3 with Hitachi Touro (mobile USB 3.0) through OTG cable hard drive does appear in files. I have installed paragon NTFS and stickmount apps but it doesn't seem to connect even though a message keeps appearing "usb connector is connected". Hard drive gives a clicking sound when it is connected with S3 but works perfectly with the computer.

Does anyone know solution to this?

Thanks and regards
11th October 2012, 05:58 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,502

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've heard of some people having problems when connected to a usb 3.0 port on their computer and have to connect to a 2.0 port instead. Maybe related?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
11th October 2012, 06:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4,482

6,925 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77

I've heard of some people having problems when connected to a usb 3.0 port on their computer and have to connect to a 2.0 port instead. Maybe related?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

USB 3.0 I don't think is supported. What I've seen people do is use a 2.0 cable extension with their 3.0 device. As this downgrades it to 2.0 because they should be compatible with 2.0 just won't have the insane speeds as 3.0. Or you can get a USB hub and plug it in that way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
11th October 2012, 09:16 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Sounds like the Hard Drive is not getting enough power (The clicking), do you have it plugged into an external power supply?
*.*
The Following User Says Thank You to splatdotsplat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th October 2012, 09:24 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatdotsplat

Sounds like the Hard Drive is not getting enough power (The clicking), do you have it plugged into an external power supply?
*.*

Thanks for all the replies. Hard drive is not connected to power supply as it is portable.
11th October 2012, 09:38 PM   |  #6  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 10

104 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maazyazdani

Thanks for all the replies. Hard drive is not connected to power supply as it is portable.

Splatdotsplat is correct. That clicking sound are the heads resetting to the park position. This usually happens when drives are not getting enough power. When the drive spins up it peaks its power consumption and cuts out because there is not enough so the heads reset. Portable or not that is the issue. I have seen this happen with some portable drives on computers (especially larger capacity). A lot of times the solution can be as simple as using a shorter cable. Sometimes it doesn't work.
12th October 2012, 06:24 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 19

92 posts
as stated above, the only way to run external hdd's of any kind is to be sure they're powered, even some thumbdrives will draw more power than the phone can provide and you'll notice your batt life take a steep dive (as did my Galaxy Nexus w/otg on an HP 16gb thumbdrive)

power the drive through a powered hub and you're good to go!
12th October 2012, 07:05 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 4,482

6,925 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatdotsplat

*.*

This is why i recommended using a USB powered HUB as the HUB will give enough power to the external hard drive.
15th December 2012, 12:02 AM   |  #9  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 600

5,584 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

This is why i recommended using a USB powered HUB as the HUB will give enough power to the external hard drive.

Having the same issue myself, otg cable with Samsung portable 500GB external HDD and stickmount pro works fine with my Nexus 7,but won't work with my Galaxy even though it recognises the HDD, so do you think a USB hub would be the solution, and can anyone recommend one

Thanks
16th December 2012, 06:05 PM   |  #10  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 600

5,584 posts
More
Anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread