Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

Could this be a awesome idea? What do you think?

OP Krisshp

20th March 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

132 posts
Saw this redit

""
Anyway since the SDK is released for Chromecast, hasn't google missed a trick?

Is this a good idea

Why doesn't google make Chromecast app be with google drive? I could upload all my files, movies, torrrents, photos and would love to have them ALL in one place and be able to cast them?

I would really consider upgrading the storage and paying for more storage, they would be able to get more $... IMO

So do you think google should do google drive Chromecast, if no why not?

Same thing with that ^ but again would like to see DRopbox have the ablitlty to stream. Things from the cloud.

Pros of this - limited space on phone storage, so drive can be used No need to run a server 24/7. Save electricity costs Assuming its cheaper considering that ^ Can view word files, homework, PDF , on big screen

Post your views would you like to see this?"""""

I live that idea, could be very useful. Your views ? Should google do this
21st March 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 866

2,225 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisshp

Anyway since the SDK is released for Chromecast, hasn't google missed a trick?

Is this a good idea

Why doesn't google make Chromecast app be with google drive? I could upload all my files, movies, torrrents, photos and would love to have them ALL in one place and be able to cast them?
I live that idea, could be very useful. Your views ? Should google do this

Avia can pull from Dropbox
AllCast can pull from both Dropbox and Google Drive
RealPlayer Cloud can pull from their cloud

If Google was going to do this, they would have already - because they didn't need to wait for the SDK release - they could make any Chromecast app they wanted to whenever they wanted to.

They could just do a straight dump/retrieve from Drive to Chromecast, but without a player app that can handle that file type, Chromecast will just get the file and not know what to do with it, just like having your browser download a file that your computer/phone doesn't have an app to open.

The trick is in the player app, and Google for the most part leaves it to the app developers to develop.

The business aspect is that if Google starts developing lots of apps for Chromecast, developers may shy away from Chromecast development in fear that Google will do what their (paid) app is doing for free.
21st March 2014, 08:31 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

132 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Avia can pull from Dropbox
AllCast can pull from both Dropbox and Google Drive
RealPlayer Cloud can pull from their cloud

If Google was going to do this, they would have already - because they didn't need to wait for the SDK release - they could make any Chromecast app they wanted to whenever they wanted to.

They could just do a straight dump/retrieve from Drive to Chromecast, but without a player app that can handle that file type, Chromecast will just get the file and not know what to do with it, just like having your browser download a file that your computer/phone doesn't have an app to open.

The trick is in the player app, and Google for the most part leaves it to the app developers to develop.

The business aspect is that if Google starts developing lots of apps for Chromecast, developers may shy away from Chromecast development in fear that Google will do what their (paid) app is doing for free.

Oh didn't know that. Yeah I get what you mean.

I'm guessing you must use avia, all cast or real player ,

Could I ask which one do you prefer the most ?

How much online storage in GB do real player offer?? Edit 2GB!!!!! Is that it????

Does it support the other 50gb cloud storage , mega???

Thanks
Last edited by Krisshp; 21st March 2014 at 08:47 AM.
21st March 2014, 09:09 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 866

2,225 posts
Donate to Me
More
You can get an additional 3GB (I think) from Real by completing a few tasks (just like Dropbox).

But I don't put my media online, it's all local. Still working out how to handle it, to be honest.

There's definitely lots of room in the Chromecast space.

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-
21st March 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 546

1,002 posts
I don't use Google Drive, so this may be idiotic - but can you paste the url directly into LocalCast and go from there?

https://sites.google.com/site/gdocs2direct/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread