Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 42,583 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking For Tablet ROM With More Complete S-Pen Support

Tip us?

whitedavidp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 107
Default Looking For Tablet ROM With More Complete S-Pen Support

Hello. I have written an app that helps to improve the accuracy of the S-Pen. It works only on Note phones because Samsung has compiled some S-Pen device driver interfaces out of the tablet ROMs. It is not clear why they did this. I have asked Samsung but gotten no replies. I have confirmed that parts of the kernel code is commented out in the open source kernel code (and you can see that some of the interface files found on phones do not exist on the tablets). It seems that the tablets suffer from the same issues related to the S-Pen as do the phones and I have many people asking me to make my app work on their tablets. I cannot do so with the stock ROMs because of the missing interface files.

So I am wondering if there any non-stock ROMs in which the S-Pen is more fully supported. The missing files are located on my phone in /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/ and the two files I need are called epen_hand and epen_rotation. If anyone knows of any ROMs for the S-Pen equipped tablets that provide these interface files, I would appreciate knowing and may be able to direct some folks to using them.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to whitedavidp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JSale
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I can confirm that neither are present in Baked build 8, it might be worth checking a dump from the note 8.0

Regards
Jack
Current:
Samsung Galaxy SIII - Null_21/Perseus alpha34.3 [-100mv CPU&GPU] - Samsung 32Gb Class 10
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Wi-Fi - Baked #8 - Samsung 32Gb UHS-1

PC:
CPU: 2500k - 3.3Ghz (0.990v) -H60 pull
GPU: HIS HD7950
MoBo: MSI p67A-GD55 (B3)
RAM: 12GB 1600Mhz RipjawsX -Dual channel XMP
HDD/SSD: WD Green 500GB/128GB Samsung 830
Case: NZXT Phantom(Black)
PSU: XFX Core 750w
If you understand my avatar, let me know

whitedavidp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSale View Post
I can confirm that neither are present in Baked build 8, it might be worth checking a dump from the note 8.0

Regards
Jack
Jack, some replies to postings in the Note 8 section indicate that the two files are present on the stock ROM there. Interesting... I am downloading a dump of the 10.1 now to see if I can see anything. Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitedavidp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JSale
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Any progress on this? It looks quite promising in the note 8.0 forums.
Regards
Jack
Current:
Samsung Galaxy SIII - Null_21/Perseus alpha34.3 [-100mv CPU&GPU] - Samsung 32Gb Class 10

PC:

kcrudup
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedavidp View Post
I have confirmed that parts of the kernel code is commented out in the open source kernel code (and you can see that some of the interface files found on phones do not exist on the tablets). ... The missing files are located on my phone in /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/ and the two files I need are called epen_hand and epen_rotation ...
Well, since this is presumably a kernel issue, I'll look into it (PM me with your E-mail address) and IF there's anything that can be done about it (i.e., if the corresponding actions are available in the pen driver; it's not enough to just be able to integrate the sysfs entries) I'll add it into the kernels I release for the Note 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 3G (GT-N8000) on AT&T
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 LTE (SM-P607T) on AT&T (and T-Mo/VZW)
HTC First on Net10/AT&T
(Save your "Thanks"; couldn't care less)
The Following User Says Thank You to kcrudup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

whitedavidp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrudup View Post
Well, since this is presumably a kernel issue, I'll look into it (PM me with your E-mail address) and IF there's anything that can be done about it (i.e., if the corresponding actions are available in the pen driver; it's not enough to just be able to integrate the sysfs entries) I'll add it into the kernels I release for the Note 10.1
Hello and thanks for responding/helping out. I am certainly no kernel programmer. But I have downloaded the kernel sources for a couple official Note devices/versions. I have been reading files located in kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom paying particular attention to the file wacom_i2c.c. I cannot help but note that some of the functions which appear to reference the driver i/o files that are missing are #def'ed out of certain devices - see line 837 #if defined(CONFIG_MACH_P4NOTE).

I have no idea if the Wacom devices used in the various Note models are the same (except for size) or are similar enough to be treated as the same by programs like mine. Heck, I am not even sure if Wacom devices are being used in all the Note models. So I am afraid I am not much in the way of technical help here.

What I do know is that some custom ROMs for Note I and II phones seem to have been created with drivers that DO support and create the needed driver i/o files but which lack the device settings and other mechanisms which actually take advantage of these i/o files. Basically, they do not offer a dominant hand setting nor do they seem to communicate to the Wacom device when an orientation change is detected. I have been able, through my app, to compensate for these lapses on those devices and thereby improve the SPen's accuracy.

I have had users wanting to get the same effect on Note tablets with my app. So I presume they are experiencing the same type of problem on their tablets that I experienced on my Note I phone that led me to get into all of this. But I know that my app cannot help them unless the i/o files are there.

I was surprised to hear, over in the Note 8 forum that the files do exist on those devices. I know from a tester that my app at least runs on the Note 8. But I don't know if it helps any since that tester was not seeing the problem my app is designed to fix. But I read here that the files are not on the larger Note tablets. I don't know why and have asked Samsung and get basically no answer. My underlying assumption is that the Wacom devices are basically the same but I cannot answer why Samsung treats them as different.

I am sure all of this doesn't help much. Sorry. All I would like to do is try to find a way to offer support to the tablet users who want it.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to whitedavidp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kcrudup
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Try this kernel: http://goo.gl/OBJ4O (PM also sent).
HTC First on Net10/AT&T
The Following User Says Thank You to kcrudup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JSale
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Try this kernel: http://goo.gl/OBJ4O (PM also sent).
Im going to quickly revert from baked to android revolution to test this :P
I will let you know what I think.

Regards
Jack
Current:

PC:

kcrudup
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSale View Post
I'm going to quickly revert from baked to android revolution to test this
No, this is just a kernel- you won't have to change distributions to try this.
HTC First on Net10/AT&T

JSale
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
No, this is just a kernel- you won't have to change distributions to try this.
But baked is based on CyanogenMod, unless this kernel is compatible?
Current:

PC: