Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,395 Members 47,327 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official - the 4.X.X update - discussion thread

Tip us?

Naddict
Old
(Last edited by Stryke_the_Orc; 27th April 2014 at 03:58 PM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 13644
Default Official - the 4.X.X update - discussion thread

For when it happens, please use this thread to have your respectful discussion. Thanks all!

BIG NEWS...many users are asking to highlight this one post here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=338 care of @Azrael.arach

This is for people that had the first problem of mobicore problem.

Warning::: THIS WORKED FOR ME BUT I CAN NOT SAY FOR EVERYONE. I AM NOT A DEVELOPER SO MY KNOWLEDGE IS VERY LIMITED!!!!

You need to download the update file from this thread. You will need to rename it to change the .cfg to .zip

Attached is a fix.zip that contains the files you need. You will need to be on a nb4 with root.

Extract zip files and copy them to your internal memory on phone.

Step 1 copy the mobicore-presetup.sh to /system/bin

Step 2 copy all the apk files to /system/app.

Step 3 For each apk you copied you need to set the rght persmissions. rw-r--r--

Step 4 Copy the update file that you renamed to external sdcard.

Step 5 Reboot into recovery by rebooting phone. As soon as screen goes blank from shutting down hold Volume Up + Home + Power. Once you see rebooting into recovery let go of only power button and wait.

Step 6 Once in recovery use the volume down button to highlight update from external storage and hit the power button.

Step 7 Use volume buttons to scroll down to update file and use power button to select it.

Step 8 Wait for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Step 9 You will be returned to recovery menu, scroll down using volume buttons to wipe cache and hit power button.

Step 10 Hit power button on reboot and wait.
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naddict For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dligon
Old
Thanks Meter 499
so who thinks kitkat will be out before the S5 is out.

Delakit
Old
Thanks Meter 322

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dligon View Post
so who thinks kitkat will be out before the S5 is out.
It already is.
Note 3 is dead

lildoggs
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delakit View Post
It already is.
I guess this is not a valid argument. Lol 😆

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SunnyOK
Old
Thanks Meter 140
We still expect official kitKat 4.4.2.
We also wish to have 4.4.2 Safestrap to promote KitKat.

smokestack76
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 444
I would think by now everyone in a rush or wanting the latest greatest would get a nexus. Or the other phones google has now! I knew when i chose this device AT&T is slow to update.

Sent via carrier pigeon!

colonel187
Old
Thanks Meter 71
The nexus is a developer phone. Many of us want the refined camera and eye candy and s pen, etc. I think stock Google is ugly. I like touchwiz and pan to try out Tizen if a device is ever released.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colonel187 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dr. Evo
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel187 View Post
The nexus is a developer phone. Many of us want the refined camera and eye candy and s pen, etc. I think stock Google is ugly. I like touchwiz and pan to try out Tizen if a device is ever released.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Agreed. Not now nor have ever been a fan of stock Android. I really don't understand the hype. When Android first hit the scene, I remember all the rave being about "ultimate customization" and "tons of features." Now, when I hear people always b*tching and moaning about why there's upset ALL Android phones don't come stock it seems like the arguments is "I love the simplicity and 'cleaness' of it all."

I'm like, if I wanted watered-down and simple, I'd buy an iPhone and stick to iOS! That's the one positive thing I can say about iOS... it's polished and it generally works. However, it's very minimalist, not customizable, and lacks features. Why on Earth someone would want and Android phone to go as bare-boned as possible, makes no sense to me. I, too, find stock Android to be really ugly, IMO. I find nothing attractive about the look.

I want a phone full of customization and features, and that's what TouchWiz gives me. I have never had an issue with the TW versions found on the original Note and up. I really don't get all the hate but whatever. I am a TW fan and as long as it doesn't get super stale like HTC Sense did when I was diehard fan, I'm good to go!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Evo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MMcCraryNJ
Old
Thanks Meter 141
If there is any more of a delay, my theory is that AT&T decided to wait for the 4.4 update from Samsung that restores third party S-View case functionality.

If you look at the timeline of when Samsung updated the Note 3 unlocked and international models, they pushed out the KitKat update, and then about a week or two later, announced a second update was in the works to fix the issue. As far as I know, that update hasn't been pushed to any device as of yet. This was about a month ago.

Plausible theory, I think. Either way, I'm in no rush. 4.3 NB4 working great for me, and after owning a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon before this, I'm not feeling the "root and ROM" itch just yet.
Previous devices:

T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream)
Samsung Vibrant T-959 (Galaxy S)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi GT-P7510
Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-i515MSV
Google Nexus 7 16GB

Current devices:

AT&T Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900A
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 NC2

Google Nexus 10 16GB
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 KOT49H

simkid5614
Old
Thanks Meter 12
So, I woke up this morning to a failed AT&T update. Aka, My rooted rom, didn't match. Guess I got lucky it didn't brick overnight.

The Following User Says Thank You to simkid5614 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]