Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,741 Members 47,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Deactivated Kindle FIre HD? Options?

Tip us?

leochrispadilla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Deactivated Kindle FIre HD? Options?

Hello,

I just bought a second gen Kindle Fire HD 7 off craigslist. When I tried to get ES file explorer from the amazon store I was not able to register the Kindle. I contacted amazon and they said the Kindle is deactivated because it was reported lost or stolen. My original plan was to run Android OS and use the Google store. Can I still do this without accessing the amazon store first? I was able to find the ES.apk file online but am not able to install it. The kindle is rooted running 7.4.8. I've seen some stuff regarding using a fastboot cable. Will that solve my problem or do I have any options left?

Thank you for your time,
Chris

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by leochrispadilla View Post
Hello,

I just bought a second gen Kindle Fire HD 7 off craigslist. When I tried to get ES file explorer from the amazon store I was not able to register the Kindle. I contacted amazon and they said the Kindle is deactivated because it was reported lost or stolen. My original plan was to run Android OS and use the Google store. Can I still do this without accessing the amazon store first? I was able to find the ES.apk file online but am not able to install it. The kindle is rooted running 7.4.8. I've seen some stuff regarding using a fastboot cable. Will that solve my problem or do I have any options left?

Thank you for your time,
Chris
the good news is that is a first gen kindle fire hd, not the 2013 model so you can indeed flash android on it and use it as a android tablet. I'm not too sure of the forum policy about helping a people with a device that is known to be lost/stolen, but i can tell you this, root it and install the google play store and you should be able to complete doing what you are trying to do. I think kindle fire first aid will be your friend for what i have advised. Fastboot can be accessed without a cable but it's advised to have on incase you ever brick, because in that scenario you will need a cable to get into fastboot mode.
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

leochrispadilla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
the good news is that is a first gen kindle fire hd, not the 2013 model so you can indeed flash android on it and use it as a android tablet. I'm not too sure of the forum policy about helping a people with a device that is known to be lost/stolen, but i can tell you this, root it and install the google play store and you should be able to complete doing what you are trying to do. I think kindle fire first aid will be your friend for what i have advised. Fastboot can be accessed without a cable but it's advised to have on incase you ever brick, because in that scenario you will need a cable to get into fastboot mode.
You were absolutely right about it being the 2012 model. It was also listed as "Latest model". As I'm obviously not going to be able get a refund at least I know it wont be a paperweight and I have my first android toy to play around with. Fastboot cable in the mail! Thanks again for the help.