Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 54,070 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GT-I9000 root using recovery mode

Tip us?

rootmeplease
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default GT-I9000 root using recovery mode

hi,

I have a Samsung GT--i9000 Galaxy S phone with a dodgy usb port.

I am sending it off to get fixed but need to back up the phone first.

To fully back up I believe I need to root the phone to enable back up of application data using titatium or my backup.

Phone Details
Firmware : 2.3.3
Baseband Version : I9000SRJV1
Kernel version : 2.6.35.7-I9000XWJVN=CL366455root@DELL86 #2
Build number : GINGERBREAD.XWJVN

Because the usb is buggered, rooting methods using odin etc which involve connection to a pc are not possibe.

Also because I am running gingerbread 2.3.3 apps like Z4root/gingerbreak etc wont work.

Does anyone know a way to root this phone from recovery mode, or other method without using USB ?

This thread does what i think i want for the i9001 but I cant find a solution for my GT-i9000

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1253707

advance thanks for any comments

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootmeplease View Post
Does anyone know a way to root this phone from recovery mode, or other method without using USB ?
If its a matter of saving your data files, you can use My Phone Explorer on your PC and Client from Market with WIFI, to save the entire contents of your internal SD card to your PC ( link below on MY Android Collections)

If you still need root download i9000 root update.zip (same link) and install via 2e recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to xsenman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootmeplease
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsenman View Post
If its a matter of saving your data files, you can use My Phone Explorer on your PC and Client from Market with WIFI, to save the entire contents of your internal SD card to your PC ( link below on MY Android Collections)

If you still need root download i9000 root update.zip (same link) and install via 2e recovery
Thanks for responding, Just so that I'm clear, I have 2 follow up questions please

1) If I sync files using My Phone Explorer over wifi to my PC , then optus factory reset my phone, can I just sync back to phone
to get back to the current phone state ? Or is a more comprehensive backup like titanium (with root access) required to fully back up the phone ?
i.e. I want angry birds and other apps to retain their settings / scores etc but am unsure whether this can be achieved this way.

2) The 2e recovery readme speaks of flashing with odin and thus a usb connection that I cannot do.
Did you mean that I can just put the i9000 root update.zip onto the SD card and boot in recovery mode without using the files from this 2e recovery archive or am I missing something here ?

In any case thank you for your help . Love the phone explorer btw, compared to Kies this is fantastic.

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,223
Quote:

1) If I sync files using My Phone Explorer over wifi to my PC , then optus factory reset my phone, can I just sync back to phone
to get back to the current phone state ? Or is a more comprehensive backup like titanium (with root access) required to fully back up the phone ?
i.e. I want angry birds and other apps to retain their settings / scores etc but am unsure whether this can be achieved this way.

2) The 2e recovery readme speaks of flashing with odin and thus a usb connection that I cannot do.
Did you mean that I can just put the i9000 root update.zip onto the SD card and boot in recovery mode without using the files from this 2e recovery archive or am I missing something here ?

In any case thank you for your help . Love the phone explorer btw, compared to Kies this is fantastic.

If you save the entire Internal SD card, none of your data for games , settings etc will be lost, you only need to reinstall the app a new and paste back the data , but IF you want your system and data back, than tintanium should do it

anyway that is a SD card zip file for rooting ( look under unlock and rooting), as such you don't need USB connection
The Following User Says Thank You to xsenman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootmeplease
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
If you save the entire Internal SD card, none of your data for games , settings etc will be lost, you only need to reinstall the app a new and paste back the data , but IF you want your system and data back, than tintanium should do it

anyway that is a SD card zip file for rooting ( look under unlock and rooting), as such you don't need USB connection
I used MyPhoneExplorer to sync the files on the memory card but it appears that without root access this solution will not back up hidden application data. I base this on not being able to locate the angry birds data files on the back up (or on the phone in phone explorer for that matter) ie no com.rovio...... any where. In fact there are only a handfull of com.xxx. application files under the data directory.

So it appears to me that the phone must be rooted to back up application data.
Can anyone confirm this observation : Is the only way to backup application data via a rooted phone ?

xsenman, sorry for being obtuse but do you mean that I simply need to

1) put the root i9000 update.zip onto my external SD card.
2) reboot using power/home/volume up combo.
3) pick the update.zip file from menu.
4) wait while updating then power off and on

After this my phone will be exactly the same only now with root access ?

thanks again, I need to be sure about this before proceeding.

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,223
Quote:
So it appears to me that the phone must be rooted to back up application data. Can anyone confirm this observation : Is the only way to backup application data via a rooted phone ?

xsenman, sorry for being obtuse but do you mean that I simply need to

1) put the root i9000 update.zip onto my external SD card.
2) reboot using power/home/volume up combo.
3) pick the update.zip file from menu.
4) wait while updating then power off and on

After this my phone will be exactly the same only now with root access ?

thanks again, I need to be sure about this before proceeding.
I doubt that you need to be rooted to save your game data, it may be in the Phone memory or have its own folder under a different name

anyway, yes you only need to use update.zip in 2e Recovery as above, to root using that file , root will only install a superuser in your phone and nothing else.

Lexrsk
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
I want angry birds and other apps to retain their settings / scores etc
there is an app on google play called Angry Birds Backup 2 SD. This will save all your progress for Angry Birds and will restore once your phone is returned. For other apps you will have to find another way.
No need to say thanks just use the thanks button

Samsung Galaxy S
Telstra GT-I9000T
Currently running stock OS

Previous ROM/Modem/Kernel

ROM>> Team ICSSGS RC4.2
Modem>> JVQ
Kerrnel>> Semaphore ICS 0.9.1
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexrsk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootmeplease
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I doubt that you need to be rooted to save your game data, it may be in the Phone memory or have its own folder under a different name

anyway, yes you only need to use update.zip in 2e Recovery as above, to root using that file , root will only install a superuser in your phone and nothing else.
Looks like I'm screwed as phone has gingerbread 2.3.3 and therefore has recover 3e not 2e.

To degrade to recovery 2e I need to flash a custom kernel so I'm back to requiring odin again to achieve that which of course I cant do without a working USB port.

Ok I admit defeat and give up, unless someone else can suggest a way to do this (without USB) I don't think that this can be done.

At least I know enough now to do this via USB / odin or even superoneclick once the device comes back from repair.

Blackus17
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Default Need to root

Please give the link to download update.zip aka root.zip

(I bought an I9000 only yesterday.
I don't have access to PC.
Framaroot doesn't work ?! )

Thanks
Sent from Blackus17's Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000

pryerlee
Old
(Last edited by pryerlee; 19th March 2014 at 06:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 118
custom recovery + root: use "Mobile Odin" (use the free version as you'll only be flashing a kernel) just extract the .zip file so you have one .tar file and flash http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788108