Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Exclamation How to install 2nd bootloader for kindle fire 7.4.8 when theres no image for it?

OP Bkrmalick

26th February 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
I have gained root acess and now I've been trying to install 2nd bootload and TWRP following this tutorial;- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1bLCuQN0-U

It says
" If you have a different version then 7.4.6 then look here for the freedom image you will need http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/tate/ "
But there seems to be no image for the 7.4.8 version. Should I just use the 7.4.6 version?

I also checked out the Installing Kindle Fire HD 7" 2nd-Bootloader + TWRP Complete Tutorial thread but it says I need to revert back to 7.2.3 before starting.

Please help.
Last edited by Bkrmalick; 26th February 2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: wrong link
26th February 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 610

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Long story short you don't need to downgrade technically. What needs downgrading is the bootloader, also the 7.4.6 will sorta serve its purpose, you need to flash it for second d bootloader, however the current 7.4.6 freedomboot isn't compatible with 7.4.8 in the sense that it compares the freedom boot version with the os version and if they don't match it boot loops into recovery, which isn't a problem if you plan on flashing a custom ROM, so to make things easy just remember to put the ROMs you want to flash onto the kindle ahead of time or it will be slightly more difficult to do so once it starts boot looping into recovery. I recommend the fire flash method if you are not comfortable with a lot of command prompt commands, but in that method there's always the risk of you not seeing the downgrade bootloader option, its there, its just a lot of people tend to not see the check box next to or above the red warning text, and when its not checked you reboot with a nice red screen only a fastboot cable can fix. Just remember if you use the method you are doing, please for the sake of all that is good check the md5sum of the bootloader file you are going to flash to downgrade the bootloader, if you don't and its a bad download you will end up with a expensive paperweight.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2014, 11:05 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

Long story short you don't need to downgrade technically. What needs downgrading is the bootloader, also the 7.4.6 will sorta serve its purpose, you need to flash it for second d bootloader, however the current 7.4.6 freedomboot isn't compatible with 7.4.8 in the sense that it compares the freedom boot version with the os version and if they don't match it boot loops into recovery, which isn't a problem if you plan on flashing a custom ROM, so to make things easy just remember to put the ROMs you want to flash onto the kindle ahead of time or it will be slightly more difficult to do so once it starts boot looping into recovery. I recommend the fire flash method if you are not comfortable with a lot of command prompt commands, but in that method there's always the risk of you not seeing the downgrade bootloader option, its there, its just a lot of people tend to not see the check box next to or above the red warning text, and when its not checked you reboot with a nice red screen only a fastboot cable can fix. Just remember if you use the method you are doing, please for the sake of all that is good check the md5sum of the bootloader file you are going to flash to downgrade the bootloader, if you don't and its a bad download you will end up with a expensive paperweight.

Uh.. that seems complicated. Can I just downgrade my version from here and then follow the thread?

Thanks for taking the time out to answer this.
26th February 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
I mean you could but it would be a lot of extra work that's not needed. All you need to do is stick the ROM and gapps on ahead of time, downgrade the bootloader, and do the rest of the instructions as it says in tutorial.

26th February 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Ok, I'll try.
2nd March 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #6  

1 posts
Quote:

I mean you could but it would be a lot of extra work that's not needed. All you need to do is stick the ROM and gapps on ahead of time, downgrade the bootloader, and do the rest of the instructions as it says in tutorial.

Hey im a noob at this so I was wondering if you could make a more in depth tutorial on how to do that. I have kindle fire hd7 7.4.8 but they dont have a boot image ughhh help please???
3rd March 2014, 04:35 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
That doesn't matter, just follow one of the 2 main tutorials foe your device and use the latest boot image available, make sure you loaded the ROM and zip on ahead of time and all should be fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2014, 12:17 AM   |  #8  

2 posts
Anyone done this successfully?
Quote:

That doesn't matter, just follow one of the 2 main tutorials foe your device and use the latest boot image available, make sure you loaded the ROM and zip on ahead of time and all should be fine.

Has anyone tried this? Will I be able to get back to the Kindle OS if I do this and go into a bootloop?
20th March 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholcs

Has anyone tried this? Will I be able to get back to the Kindle OS if I do this and go into a bootloop?

once you it you won't be able to get into kindle os, thus why you need a custom rom on the device ahead of time so you can flash it when it bootloops into recovery mode. If you downgrade it you can still access the kindle os, but it takes a little longer and you have to download another few hundred mb of data.
20th March 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #10  

2 posts
Quote:

once you it you won't be able to get into kindle os, thus why you need a custom rom on the device ahead of time so you can flash it when it bootloops into recovery mode. If you downgrade it you can still access the kindle os, but it takes a little longer and you have to download another few hundred mb of data.

Ok, great that totally makes sense now. I was missing that you could downgrade once you have TWRP installed. Got TWRP running and I'm making my first back up. Thanks for all you help stunts513! You previous posts and walkthroughs were very helpful!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread