Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 46,832 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Use Sony earphones as PC Mic?

Tip us?

ItBankRock
Old
(Last edited by ItBankRock; 25th April 2013 at 03:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 203
Talking [Q] Use Sony earphones as PC Mic?

Hey guys! I want to ask a silly question, yeah, can I use the Sony earphones (the one that came with my Acro S, should be the same with S) as a microphone for my pc? I want to ask it because when I used it as a mic for my phone to record my voice, the quality is amazing! It's like a studio mic lol, it's better than my main pc mic. I tried to google my question but it seems like I can't find the solution (maybe I'm not a good searcher lol).

So yeah, can I?

Here's the thing that I'm talking about:

P.S. My Sony earphones is still in perfect condition, still works.

Main phone: Blackberry Z10 White. Blackberry OS 10.2

Previous phones:
(STILL ALIVE) Xperia X10i Unlocked Bootloader. FeraLab ROM v30.3 Android 2.3.9 FeraKernel v14
(BRICKED) Sony Xperia Acro S Black Unlocked bootloader Rooted, Stock JB ROM.
(STILL ALIVE) Acer Liquid E S100 Ferrari Limited Edition Stock Android 2.2 Froyo Rooted.

abcdjdj
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBankRock View Post
Hey guys! I want to ask a silly question, yeah, can I use the Sony earphones (the one that came with my Acro S, should be the same with S) as a microphone for my pc? I want to ask it because when I used it as a mic for my phone to record my voice, the quality is amazing! It's like a studio mic lol, it's better than my main pc mic. I tried to google my question but it seems like I can't find the solution (maybe I'm not a good searcher lol).

So yeah, can I?

Here's the thing that I'm talking about:

P.S. My Sony earphones is still in perfect condition, still works.
It should work. I used to use my Xperia Mini's earphones as a mic so it is worth a try. Just connect it to the microphone jack of your pc and in the start menu, search for sound recorder.

Click here to see my contributions to XDA

My phone history - Xperia Mini ST15i > Xperia S LT26i > Xperia T2 Ultra Dual D5322

auni
Old
Thanks Meter 1885
Guys how can it worked ?? Mine never even worked as headphone or as a mic !!

Could be a issue with the Sound card may be?

ItBankRock
Old
(Last edited by ItBankRock; 25th April 2013 at 05:34 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by auni View Post
Guys how can it worked ?? Mine never even worked as headphone or as a mic !!

Could be a issue with the Sound card may be?
Yeah probably your soundcard, my Sony earphones works like a charm on my pc, I always used it to play intense games like Battlefield 3 (stereo sound and bass is awesome).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdjdj View Post
It should work. I used to use my Xperia Mini's earphones as a mic so it is worth a try. Just connect it to the microphone jack of your pc and in the start menu, search for sound recorder.
I tried plugging it in the mic jack, didn't work :/ can't hear anything when I speak loud enough to that little hole. I set it as default device for recording, still no use. I heard someone that I should use a splitter or something.

Main phone: Blackberry Z10 White. Blackberry OS 10.2

Previous phones:
(STILL ALIVE) Xperia X10i Unlocked Bootloader. FeraLab ROM v30.3 Android 2.3.9 FeraKernel v14
(BRICKED) Sony Xperia Acro S Black Unlocked bootloader Rooted, Stock JB ROM.
(STILL ALIVE) Acer Liquid E S100 Ferrari Limited Edition Stock Android 2.2 Froyo Rooted.

solonxpl
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Info 2 It worked for Sony Xperia M dual earphone

I tried to use the earphones as a mic on both my laptop and PC and to my amazement it worked but the mic was the earpiece ( the piece that goes in YOUR EARS). I don't know how it happened but it did work. Unfortunately, the sound quality is so bad and very low.

solonxpl
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Question Buy a splitter

I bought a splitter whose photo is attached from this link http://radioshack.com.eg/?route=prod...roduct_id=2732 and it works perfectly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140412_181235_Android.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	2682361  
Tags
earphones, headphone, mic