5,815,061 Members 37,383 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone will only charge while off?

Tip us?

riderrace
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Phone will only charge while off?

Any thoughts as to why an s4 might only charge while off? I'm thinking hardware issue, but it is very strange...

Have been running the latest snapshot (m4) of CM11. Unplugged the phone the other morning and it thought it was still plugged in (charging symbol and all). I rebooted and it seemed fine.... Until I tried to dock it to play music. Worked intermittently for a few hours and then stopped all together.

I left it plugged in at work for ~30 mins, and it finally recognized the usb and starting charging. Eventually stopped working again. Now it will only charge while the phone is off. I've tried different usb cables, reflashing, full wiping, different ROM (shostock) to no effect.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dabreaker9
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderrace View Post
Any thoughts as to why an s4 might only charge while off? I'm thinking hardware issue, but it is very strange...

Have been running the latest snapshot (m4) of CM11. Unplugged the phone the other morning and it thought it was still plugged in (charging symbol and all). I rebooted and it seemed fine.... Until I tried to dock it to play music. Worked intermittently for a few hours and then stopped all together.

I left it plugged in at work for ~30 mins, and it finally recognized the usb and starting charging. Eventually stopped working again. Now it will only charge while the phone is off. I've tried different usb cables, reflashing, full wiping, different ROM (shostock) to no effect.

Now, normally I'd say "If you're not using the stock charger, it may do that," but it seems to have worked fine before.

Sorry, I don't know how to help.

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 626

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderrace View Post

What are you plugging it in to? The USB port may not be putting out enough power to run and charge the phone. Other than that, if it's a USB plug then that might be bad or or may not be making good contact in that outlet or something.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running Blackbox 3.0
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)