Sign

[Q] Can you share your experience with me?

19th March 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
More
I never installed a custom ROM, so before I start my own adventure I'd like to ask if you guys would like to share your experience with me.
My goal would be to find a clean and bloatware free alternative. I love how nice and smooth some of my Nexus devices work and would be cool to see such a thing running on the Razr Maxx too, with all that battery power. I'm happy with the design and look of the stock ROM so I am not looking for any fancy changes, just something like Stock ROM without any unncessary packages.
I hope such a thing exists and that it might somehow boost the battery usage efficiency, otherwise I guess I'll just keep on going with root and freeze anything I don't like.

Some info on my device:
System version - 982.124.14.XT910.Retail.en.EU
Model number - XT910
Android version - 4.1.2
Baseband version - U_04.10.00R
Webtop version - wt-3.0.0

Thank you for you time.
20th March 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

176 posts
Cyanogenmod is an obvious starting point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to lmacmil For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2014, 12:04 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil

Cyanogenmod is an obvious starting point.

Can you please point me towards a stable version of Cyanogenmod for the Razr Maxx?
20th March 2014, 03:47 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

176 posts
Google droid RAZR cyanogenmod.

20th March 2014, 09:14 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 534

1,191 posts
Donate to Me
More
If you do like stock ROM, then I'd say flash a stock based custom ROM instead.
It gives you the advantage to use HDMI or webtop if you ever need.
Not that I'm saying anything against CM11.

DROID RAZR with Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to neo.ank For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st March 2014, 04:32 AM   |  #6  
Flag Corrientes
Thanks Meter: 61

313 posts
More
Slimkat is one of the most bloatware free, hence its name, slim ROM, i use it as Dalí driver and dont have issues plus i great battery life, if this is your first time, i suggest you watch some vídeos about how to flash Roms on safestrap 3.65. Then get started, i encourage you to do it with patience caution and always read Before you do anything

Sent from my XT910 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven87 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st March 2014, 11:01 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven87

Slimkat is one of the most bloatware free, hence its name, slim ROM, i use it as Dalí driver and dont have issues plus i great battery life, if this is your first time, i suggest you watch some vídeos about how to flash Roms on safestrap 3.65. Then get started, i encourage you to do it with patience caution and always read Before you do anything

Sent from my XT910 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks, slimkat will be my first attempt then.
For a start I'll start following what this guy here says: link
21st March 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
More
So far I tried:

Cyanogenmod
cm-10.1.2-umts_spyder - problems with aosp keyboard
cm-10.1.3-umts_spyder - problems with aosp keyboard
cm-11-20140319-NIGHTLY-umts_spyder - didn't quite like it
Slim Jelly Bean
Slim-umts_spyder-4.3.build.2.2-UNOFFICIAL-20131119-1959 - it only has nova launcher as default display manager

So in a moment I'll try out MoKee

Anyway, thanks for the initial input everyone. At least now I started discovering various roms.
25th March 2014, 03:53 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 12

61 posts
More
Any custom rom has problems, only stock is almost perfect on stability but there is a lot of options and customizations not available. Some errors take more time to appear. Everyone has different interests and hardware so you might never suffer some bugs.

If aosp keyboard is not working for you, there is options like swype (included in stock but for cm you have to buy it. Thought it has upgrades that can be worthy like dragon speaking) or swiftkey.

Stock rom without carrier bloat... only Brazil retail.

Looking for stock Heavily debloated... Search for de-blur ones. My advice here would be to try to deblur by your own by reading a de-blur list and removing one by one. Some roms out there can be deblurred more than you would like.

Interesting stock ROM? China ROM (i believe current version is 400-430) has a unique feature... Call recording without having to mess with configurations, system files etc.... and very nice stability and battery compared to other stock options. Read its thread thoroughly since installing it is not so easy due to region restrictions (read about CID) and something called CDT.bin that can get you unable to revert to other ROMs or even use your phone again depending on circumstances (CDT.bin problem is not exclusive to China ROM).

Currently using slimkat, had cyanfox before. I Spend at least a day with current rom before installing jbx since flashing another kernel can bring new bugs that are not caused by current rom. (Thought normally jbx gives a big improvement on speed and other things sometimes it has bugs).

Sent from my XT910 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to angrist For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th March 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrist

Any custom rom has problems, only stock is almost perfect on stability but ...

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the de-blur option too and take care in reading carefully.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread