Ask a question

No registration required

Q: Reset phone but keep root

OP Hell-Razor

19th March 2014, 10:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

38 posts
I am not sure where things started to go fubar (I moved to the Windows phone for a while but now I am back), but things on my rooted note 3 dont work like they should. For example, I cannot setup my work email (enterprise) or school email (microsoft exchange webmail) because it keeps on crashing. I have to reinstall the gmail email app every now and again because that goes haywire and the system update check crashes. I have frozen a few apps but I unfroze and it still doesnt work.

Well to my real question if all that was just mumbo jumbo, how can I reset my phone back to stock (like apps, settings, etc) without losing root? Is it as simple as just selecting factory reset in the settings menu?
Last edited by Hell-Razor; 19th March 2014 at 10:12 PM.
20th March 2014, 12:43 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 157

937 posts
Well since your rooted how about flashing a stock rom,but make a backup and I'd your content with the stock rom then make a backup of that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda premium
20th March 2014, 04:23 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 8

86 posts
Doing a factory data reset will reset the phone back to what it was like out of the box. However It won't make you lose root.
20th March 2014, 07:07 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 478

912 posts
Yes, you can factory reset. Root is in /system files, where when you wipe you only lose /userdata and /cache
20th March 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #5  
Phila
Thanks Meter: 319

709 posts
More
Reboot into Recovery mode, select Wipe /data and /system and /cache and dalvik cache if you can, or make a selection similar to "Factory Reset". Be sure to not wipe your SD Card(s)

When you reboot your phone, it will be OOBE(out of box experience) so be sure to backup any call logs, texts, and user apps ahead of time. DO NOT backup/restore "system" apps as it will cause problems
20th March 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #6  
Flag Bloomington, IL
Thanks Meter: 883

1,277 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmike6453

Reboot into Recovery mode, select Wipe /data and /system and /cache and dalvik cache if you can, or make a selection similar to "Factory Reset". Be sure to not wipe your SD Card(s)

When you reboot your phone, it will be OOBE(out of box experience) so be sure to backup any call logs, texts, and user apps ahead of time. DO NOT backup/restore "system" apps as it will cause problems

Actually, do not wipe system unless you have a rom to flash on your ext sd. If you do, the only way to use your phone again is by using odin.

<Note3>
The Following User Says Thank You to LeftyGR For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #7  
Phila
Thanks Meter: 319

709 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR

Actually, do not wipe system unless you have a rom to flash on your ext sd. If you do, the only way to use your phone again is by using odin.

<Note3>

Good catch, sorry about misleading info there...always have your custom ROM on your SD Card
20th March 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

38 posts
Thanks guys. I would have done the same mistake.

I have frozen some of the files, do I need to unfreeze them before I do this?
20th March 2014, 10:24 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

38 posts
bump
20th March 2014, 11:24 PM   |  #10  
Flag Bloomington, IL
Thanks Meter: 883

1,277 posts
More
Bumps allowed only once a day per forum rules. You're new, so we won't beat you...this time. lol

To answer your question, I don't think it would matter. I believe the settings that hold an app as frozen get wiped when you factory reset. If I'm wrong, it really shouldn't matter. What apps are frozen?

<Note3>

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread