Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 38,896 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery percentage dives suddenly

Tip us?
 
modesty1
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 29
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default Battery percentage dives suddenly

Hello everyone,
Would like to raise a matter about the battery life.
I have updated tostock 4.2.2 recently, I have noticed recently that the battery life is being awkward the least. The device can hold up to 4 days ideal but when I start using it the battery percentage dives rapidely it can go down in 20% if the screen is on for 10 minutes. Did anyone experience this and know how to go around it? Im really troubled as it wasnt like this in 4.1.2 it could hold up to 5 hours of screen now it can barely keep with 2-3 hours!

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk
 
gooberdude
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 346
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by modesty1 View Post
Hello everyone,
Would like to raise a matter about the battery life.
I have updated tostock 4.2.2 recently, I have noticed recently that the battery life is being awkward the least. The device can hold up to 4 days ideal but when I start using it the battery percentage dives rapidely it can go down in 20% if the screen is on for 10 minutes. Did anyone experience this and know how to go around it? Im really troubled as it wasnt like this in 4.1.2 it could hold up to 5 hours of screen now it can barely keep with 2-3 hours!

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk
My charge and battery drain thread is here somewhere...

You can look in settings, battery... let us know what is tops on the list.
Also look at settings, data... let us know what is tops as well.

Note: Most of the time the trouble is with google music player, this years update sux with 4.2.2. If you have 4.1.1 it is no problem.
4.2.2 also does not like media files with odd names and characters. I had to rename all my music files to 2 digit numbers, for the media to stop indexing. Folders don't seem to be the issue, just the files. I get 3% per 12 hours discharge with wifi on while sleeping disconnected from charger, and about 10% per hour under a mix use. Thus able to have 8 hours before charging. I can possibly get a week out of the tablet having sync off, power saver enabled, and Wifi off when disconnected from battery in sleep.
 
ghostswagking
Old
#3  
ghostswagking's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 19
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by modesty1 View Post
Hello everyone,
Would like to raise a matter about the battery life.
I have updated tostock 4.2.2 recently, I have noticed recently that the battery life is being awkward the least. The device can hold up to 4 days ideal but when I start using it the battery percentage dives rapidely it can go down in 20% if the screen is on for 10 minutes. Did anyone experience this and know how to go around it? Im really troubled as it wasnt like this in 4.1.2 it could hold up to 5 hours of screen now it can barely keep with 2-3 hours!

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk
use power saving mode, and download Advanced task killer. Kill all apps running in the background whenever u are done or not using the tablet. and clear your "Recent applications". that should increase the battery life significantly
 
golgoth57
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default Same here on videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdude View Post
My charge and battery drain thread is here somewhere...

You can look in settings, battery... let us know what is tops on the list.
Also look at settings, data... let us know what is tops as well.

Note: Most of the time the trouble is with google music player, this years update sux with 4.2.2. If you have 4.1.1 it is no problem.
4.2.2 also does not like media files with odd names and characters. I had to rename all my music files to 2 digit numbers, for the media to stop indexing. Folders don't seem to be the issue, just the files. I get 3% per 12 hours discharge with wifi on while sleeping disconnected from charger, and about 10% per hour under a mix use. Thus able to have 8 hours before charging. I can possibly get a week out of the tablet having sync off, power saver enabled, and Wifi off when disconnected from battery in sleep.
Hi guys,

I will search your thread cause I have this huge battery drain problem too.

I'm on 4.2.2 for long now but for 1 or 2 months now, my battery drains very rapidly when I'm watching movies or series ... I can use the samsung player or MX player it's just the same ...

When I'm 100%, i loose more than 10 % in 15 minutes of watching ... in fact my train travel in the morning is 30 minutes, and If i'm watching a movie, during the trip I loose nearly 30 % !!!

The thing is when I'm playing games or do something else, there is no such drain ... and as you I get only approx 3% or 4% per 12 hours discharge with wifi on while sleeping ...

This drives me crazy ...

At 56% at 3:00 pm today (I'm french), since a discharge at 6:00 am, my batteries info from parameters are :

Screen : 39 %
Network / Radio function : 33% (what is this ?)
MX player : 16 %
Sleep mode : 3 %

And the rest is under 2 or 3 % ...

For example, I watch a movie for only 30minutes today and played Zombie Tsunami for approx 20 minutes wich only drains 2% on the battery monitor ...
 
gooberdude
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 346
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgoth57 View Post
Hi guys,

I will search your thread cause I have this huge battery drain problem too.

I'm on 4.2.2 for long now but for 1 or 2 months now, my battery drains very rapidly when I'm watching movies or series ... I can use the samsung player or MX player it's just the same ...

When I'm 100%, i loose more than 10 % in 15 minutes of watching ... in fact my train travel in the morning is 30 minutes, and If i'm watching a movie, during the trip I loose nearly 30 % !!!

The thing is when I'm playing games or do something else, there is no such drain ... and as you I get only approx 3% or 4% per 12 hours discharge with wifi on while sleeping ...

This drives me crazy ...

At 56% at 3:00 pm today (I'm french), since a discharge at 6:00 am, my batteries info from parameters are :

Screen : 39 %
Network / Radio function : 33% (what is this ?)
MX player : 16 %
Sleep mode : 3 %

And the rest is under 2 or 3 % ...

For example, I watch a movie for only 30minutes today and played Zombie Tsunami for approx 20 minutes wich only drains 2% on the battery monitor ...
I wonder if your using data connection instead of Wifi...Data would draw more power when used, that is probably why you see Network/Radio about as high as screen. I have MX player pro as well so it is not an issue with MX player.

When I watch Netflix I get about 12% an hour drain with Miracast activated. As for playing video files on SD, it can be a lot lower to a lot higher depending on size and bit rate. Remember media playback has a number of things going on, speaker / earphones, video quality, and screen brightness will draw power at higher levels. I suggest doing a test with BBC iplayer for streaming when at home since your in France. Watch about 30 minutes with power saver enabled. You should get about 5% drain at most for the 30 minute test. If you are doing that, I would think the Data connection would be your primary issue with power drain. A way you can boost battery while watching video when traveling, you can purchase an external rechargeable battery. Both Data and GPS will suck the power right out of your device much faster than WIFI and there are a few battery calibration apps that use GPS to quick discharge for faster calibration.

Hope this helps in understanding.
The Following User Says Thank You to gooberdude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Gadgety
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 207
Join Date: May 2009
I've got a similar issue.

I've seen a change recently, because the battery lasts much shorter now than only a few weeks ago. I suspect it could have to do with having run the battery too low (below 20%) a couple of times, specially with my kid playing games or watching Youtube on it. 49% of consumption is the screen, 27% is Android OS, Skype 11%. I haven't installed any new apps in that tim, although I updated Skype to a well functioning version (4.6.0.42007), but with it consuming 11% of total energy, I doubt that being the culprit. I haven't change the energy conservation setting (it's turned off), so it's not that either. On the other hand I turned on Playstore apps updating recently, and that might have something to do with it.

Today the Note even went dead, I didn't notice any battery alert. Is there a way to turn a SOUND on for this. Can't seem to find it. However, the Samsung UI keeps making little ringing noises with every received mail, right up to the device shutting off (sound on message alert is turned off). Any way to turn that off?
Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5120
 
gooberdude
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 346
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
I've got a similar issue.

I've seen a change recently, because the battery lasts much shorter now than only a few weeks ago. I suspect it could have to do with having run the battery too low (below 20%) a couple of times, specially with my kid playing games or watching Youtube on it. 49% of consumption is the screen, 27% is Android OS, Skype 11%. I haven't installed any new apps in that tim, although I updated Skype to a well functioning version (4.6.0.42007), but with it consuming 11% of total energy, I doubt that being the culprit. I haven't change the energy conservation setting (it's turned off), so it's not that either. On the other hand I turned on Playstore apps updating recently, and that might have something to do with it.

Today the Note even went dead, I didn't notice any battery alert. Is there a way to turn a SOUND on for this. Can't seem to find it. However, the Samsung UI keeps making little ringing noises with every received mail, right up to the device shutting off (sound on message alert is turned off). Any way to turn that off?
Ah, wow! I always have my screen much higher than any app with battery consumption. I use Dolphin browser for Youtube video while browsing with flash enabled and flash.apk installed as well. I prefer the youtube app for links to youtube from emails.

As for sound, it depends on the app that sends notifications. I just block the device most of the time. Though google has options to use default notifications sometimes it can get confused when you set your devices notifications to silent. Then you must change googles notification to silent as well. I think you do that in language and input in one of the google settings for TTS or Voice. It is really a pain but then again that is why I just block and leave things be. Block is in the Notification panel. you can open the complete switch panel by choosing the squares in the upper right.
 
deviant_cryptic
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 53
Join Date: Jul 2012
When your device hit 100%, unplug your device, turn it off and put it into the power socket. Does it say the charge is 100% or does it take another half an hour before it say 100%?
If that's the case you have a battery calibration problem. The software thinks it's fully charged when the battery is only half charged.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
 
gooberdude
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 346
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviant_cryptic View Post
When your device hit 100%, unplug your device, turn it off and put it into the power socket. Does it say the charge is 100% or does it take another half an hour before it say 100%?
If that's the case you have a battery calibration problem. The software thinks it's fully charged when the battery is only half charged.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
k

I am sorry to say this... but I have had my own issues with power, and that is why I made a thread about such issues.

What you describe is almost what all OEM Note 8.0 devices do. It will show charging again once you have reconnected power after charging.

It has nothing to do with calibration needed to the battery. I have done this many times with Stock and Civato's ROM. If you do not want the issue with Touchwiz DVFS, download an app to disable it. Then you will not see that sort of issue any more. I do not recommend using tools of any sort to circumvent normal operation, but many have disabled DVFS without ill effects so they have a more accurate view of charge capacity.

Nobody here, including me can tell you what is going on directly with your battery without seeing critical information. If anything post the top battery eaters before you charge. This way we can see what is happening. For the most part media seems to be the issue. As google music player will run in background as Media Server no matter how many times you reboot it will try to re index media files over and over. I froze my Google Music player so the issue is non-existent

Another issue is USB charging cables. Samsung cables are not that good. I moved on to Sony / Nokia cables as they are superior cables and a wee longer to boot.
 
Gadgety
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 207
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdude View Post
Ah, wow! I always have my screen much higher than any app with battery consumption. I use Dolphin browser for Youtube video while browsing with flash enabled and flash.apk installed as well. I prefer the youtube app for links to youtube from emails.

As for sound, it depends on the app that sends notifications. I just block the device most of the time. Though google has options to use default notifications sometimes it can get confused when you set your devices notifications to silent. Then you must change googles notification to silent as well. I think you do that in language and input in one of the google settings for TTS or Voice. It is really a pain but then again that is why I just block and leave things be. Block is in the Notification panel. you can open the complete switch panel by choosing the squares in the upper right.
Thank you for the reply. Regarding sound, I thought it was Samsung's @mail inbox app, but it was Microsoft's Exchange. So that is now on silent. Didn't have any effect (!). Under Settings --> Personal --> Google, sound is also set to silent (!!).

Under Language I found Language, Keyboard, Speech and Mouse pointer, and sound for key press could be disabled (it already was).

The Unit's system sounds for ringing and messages have been on silent the whole time (!!!). Still not getting rid of it.

The low energy alert, I don't know whether that is Google or Samsung's Touchwiz. I have sound (I would like to get an auditory warning)? If so, where would that be? It seems I've been through all the settings, but since I haven't been able to turn off the sound alert for incoming mail, or turn off the auditory alarm for low energy, there probably are other settings I've missed.

Come to think of it, this subject would probably would go better under a different thread.

Thank you for your assistance.
Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5120

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes