[bounty][1BTC + 60USD] Add 700 1700 LTE Bands on n9005

OP IamNoone

19th October 2013, 03:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

29 posts
Bounty for the first person to post a solution to add the 1700 700 LTE bands to the n9005.

Seeing as its believed to be hardware supported many of us are trying to unlock those frequencies for true international LTE.

Possible solutions proposed:
Flashable AWS modem for n9005
NVRAM dump with AWS config.

Bids** so far:
IamNoone: 1BTC
Nakedtime: 20USD
xaviero17: 40USD

**Feel free to bid USD, I just happen to find BTC more appealing.
current BTC Trade value: http://bitcoinity.org/markets

Heres hoping we get some workable solutions. Even if they're easy.
Last edited by IamNoone; 15th December 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: update
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNoone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th October 2013, 05:50 PM   |  #2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 95

1,088 posts
Donate to Me
More
If the hardware supports, you would simply need to import (and maybe modify slightly) the QCN file from an N900W8 variant and upload to your 9005 device.
19th October 2013, 06:07 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
QCN contains IMEI, must also be edited to remove imei.
Besides, has one been dumped from a W8?

Someone feel free to dump...
19th October 2013, 08:59 PM   |  #4  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 119

627 posts
More
Would this mean we could use the 9005 on at&t LTE and 3g network?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
19th October 2013, 09:09 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

29 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikerr450

Would this mean we could use the 9005 on at&t LTE and 3g network?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

N9005 already operates on ATT HSDPA and UMTS.
This is for ATT LTE.
20th October 2013, 12:18 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 28

124 posts
More
I would love to see lte band 18 and 19 supported. Those are the japanese 800Mhz bands, that practically no phone except the crippled japanese provider models support.

Anyway, modifying the radio to send on those (or any not certified) bands would very likely be illegal in nearly any jurisdiction, wouldn't it?
20th October 2013, 05:40 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 35

331 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgi

I would love to see lte band 18 and 19 supported. Those are the japanese 800Mhz bands, that practically no phone except the crippled japanese provider models support.

Anyway, modifying the radio to send on those (or any not certified) bands would very likely be illegal in nearly any jurisdiction, wouldn't it?

In a case like this it would be much more likely for it to be a hardware issue stopping you. I don't think that a band like that, which is not supported on any Snapdragon note 3 (or am I wrong?) Would be possible to just change by software. I do know that if the antenna isn't designed for the frequency the signal would suck and you would likely also get signal reflections into the phones output amps, among other problems. And that is assuming you child even get the chip to try to transmit on those bands....which I also don't think you could do
20th October 2013, 11:19 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 28

124 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqwert

In a case like this it would be much more likely for it to be a hardware issue stopping you. I don't think that a band like that, which is not supported on any Snapdragon note 3 (or am I wrong?) Would be possible to just change by software. I do know that if the antenna isn't designed for the frequency the signal would suck and you would likely also get signal reflections into the phones output amps, among other problems. And that is assuming you child even get the chip to try to transmit on those bands....which I also don't think you could do

Not are not exactly wrong, but the bands 18 and 19 are very close to bands 5 and 6. Both are supported as far as I can tell, although 6 is only for UTMS. But that means that the power amps and antenna tuning should be there. Also, qualcomm advertises this "rf360 solution" which is supposed to support more or less all bands between 700 and 2700MHz. No idea, whether is is in the note3 though.

So you see, I did give this some thought.
20th October 2013, 12:31 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgi

We might want to make a separate Bounty for this kind of thing. Such as unlocking ALL frequencies supported by the Snapdragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgi

I prefer to make the assumption that people have honorable intentions. For several people, they're just trying to get LTE on AT&T.
There's no good reason that anyone would want to use illegal frequencies, since such frequencies would likely not give them cell service anyway.
20th October 2013, 05:15 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 35

331 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorus

We might want to make a separate Bounty for this kind of thing. Such as unlocking ALL frequencies supported by the Snapdragon.

I prefer to make the assumption that people have honorable intentions. For several people, they're just trying to get LTE on AT&T.
There's no good reason that anyone would want to use illegal frequencies, since such frequencies would likely not give them cell service anyway.

I think what he means (judging from the knowledge he would seem to have on the topic) frequencies that are not certified for use in a given jurisdiction, not "illegal"frequencies in some other way. In the US fir example, if you use a device that transmits on any frequency that your device has not specifically been passed for by the fcc (and above a maximum power limit which is rather low, from what I recall) then you are breaking federal fcc regulation with respect to creating possible interference, transmitting radio signals on a band your device want created for etc. It can get you into big trouble. Having said that, unlocking your phone in the states is legal to, but no one is ever going to find out. Same thing with the frequency thing, they have those laws so that a) when someone creates interference they can stop/prosecute them and b) so they can stop people importing devices for sale that are not certified.

Having said that, if it is not a frequency that is explicitly supported by the hardware then but that is simply close to a supported one, it would require more than just a hack. It would require reverse engineering the Qualcomm code and then writing your own hardware interface software etc, that is assuming that the bands are close enough that the amps and antenna would work, then you would have to hack the rest of the firmware to actually utilize these new bands and actually talk to your other new software.

In short, it is highly unlikely that it would be possible, at least given the time and resources that most people would spend on dev work (which I understand is a lot but this is a much bigger deal than dev work on open source code) and also Qualcomm probably would not look to kindly on us reverse engineering their stuff. Also, it is quite possible that the hardware commands simply would not exist for the software to ask the hardware to do this. I am not familiar enough with the Qualcomm hardware nor mobile hardware in this way, as I've never programmed or dine dev work on android phones(single dad now with not enough time as it is) so I can't say for sure here but I have a hunch that the hardware simply was created to offer functionality on certain bands and that is all it would offer. If it was unsupported in software but supported in hardware, that's one thing, but unsupported in hardware pretty much means you're sol in my opinion

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread