Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Question [Q] Is it possible to use smartphone hardware for other applications?

OP flyingpotato12

22nd March 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to be posting on.

I am looking to develop an embedded system which uses components such as GPS, 3G, WIFI, and a camera. I was considering developing a custom PCB to design this but then I realised a $25 smartphone has all of these components for a fraction of the price of designing a custom PCB.

I have plenty of experience designing and coding (C) embedded systems but am in the dark when it comes to Android. I have a few questions I was hoping some people with experience could answer.

1. Would it be possible to remove the casing of a smartphone, disconnect the screen and still have the phone power on and work?
2. Are the drivers for GPS, WIFI built in to the Android OS? Or are they loaded some other way?
3. Would it be possible to customise the Android OS to the point where it only powers on and runs a single 'app' to implement the functionality I desire?

Thanks
22nd March 2014, 10:51 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Themer
Flag Auckland City
Thanks Meter: 1,863

2,393 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpotato12

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to be posting on.

I am looking to develop an embedded system which uses components such as GPS, 3G, WIFI, and a camera. I was considering developing a custom PCB to design this but then I realised a $25 smartphone has all of these components for a fraction of the price of designing a custom PCB.

I have plenty of experience designing and coding (C) embedded systems but am in the dark when it comes to Android. I have a few questions I was hoping some people with experience could answer.

1. Would it be possible to remove the casing of a smartphone, disconnect the screen and still have the phone power on and work?
2. Are the drivers for GPS, WIFI built in to the Android OS? Or are they loaded some other way?
3. Would it be possible to customise the Android OS to the point where it only powers on and runs a single 'app' to implement the functionality I desire?

Thanks

Hello, let me answer you questions based on some of my knowledge and the internets knowledge.

Quote:

Would it be possible to remove the casing of a smartphone, disconnect the screen and still have the phone power on and work?

Yes, it is possible, it really depends as there are some sticky wires that are run through the inside part of the devices case, but you can pull it off and stick it to the phone itself. As I'm aware.

Quote:

Are the drivers for GPS, WIFI built in to the Android OS? Or are they loaded some other way?

The drivers for the stated, are all installed within the platform. The components are installed separately onto a motherboard but the drivers and files itself are built into the software platform. Most of these drivers/all are stored in /system/etc.

Quote:

Would it be possible to customise the Android OS to the point where it only powers on and runs a single 'app' to implement the functionality I desire?

Yes, this is possible.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread